xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 82

Author Topic: Ndure Softmod Through Xboxhdm  (Read 24573 times)

MajikNWA

• Archived User
Ndure Softmod Through Xboxhdm
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2006, 06:49:00 AM »

You are a legend sir. I'll let 'all know how it goes. May even document it incase anyone cares smile.gif

Majik

colt45joe

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »

ok i followed this guide,  and it worked.  my box is modded.  But how do i remove the hack completely and make it normal again?

This post has been edited by colt45joe: Mar 11 2006, 03:30 AM

MajikNWA

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »

Okay - had a go at this tonight (posted in other thread) and return here to see if you can help me out.

The installer just won't write anything to C:, I keep getting "unable to open *whatever* during option 1. And "no space left on device".

Does this simply mean I haven't unlocked my drive successfully? I'm doing it blind, you see.

All files transfer to f and e with no problems, and I can even boot into UX, but due to C being empty, it's somewhat limited, as you can imagine!

Any ideas?

Majik

This post has been edited by MajikNWA: Mar 11 2006, 06:05 AM

Tomdabomb3333

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 09:38:00 PM »

I had problems with no space left on my drive too... are you hotswapping to do this?,...if so then once your in xbroxser, you've unlocked your HD.

MajikNWA

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »

Yeah - hotswapping. Think I've sorted the space problem (didn't have av cable in...) But still can't ftp or write anything to my c drive.

Majik

colt45joe

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(colt45joe @ Mar 11 2006, 03:00 AM) *

Okay - had a go at this tonight (posted in other thread) and return here to see if you can help me out.

The installer just won't write anything to C:, I keep getting "unable to open *whatever* during option 1. And "no space left on device".

Does this simply mean I haven't unlocked my drive successfully? I'm doing it blind, you see.

All files transfer to f and e with no problems, and I can even boot into UX, but due to C being empty, it's somewhat limited, as you can imagine!

Any ideas?

Majik

hey , same thing happened to me(cant write to c drive...but i did have av cable in..) ,  and also,  i cant see files on c drive, or write to c drive.  I think its a safety feuture of ndure,  or something.  Wont let us mess with c drive,  so we dont ruin anything.  its just a theory.

also, im still confused...why did it say no space left on device?  the hack worked...but is it bad that it said that?

anndd... how do i remove this hack completely, and make my xbox normal again?

This post has been edited by colt45joe: Mar 11 2006, 08:34 AM

Ndure protagonist

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »

{!
It's not a safety feature ... the error message indicated there was a problem during the install.

If Option 4 (Backup) was wisely and successfully performed ... then Option 5 (Restore) can be used to revert the real C.
!}

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2006, 11:57:00 PM »

Hmm, that's weird.  I have never seen XboxHDM say "no space" on C drive.  Maybe it's a little bug Kingroach has to work out.  I know the backup C drive option doesn't work, at least with my build, and he said he was going to be fixing that and some other things.  I'll let Kingroach handle this question, because I've never seen this and have no idea what it could be.

As for not being able to write files to the C drive after the softmod, that is a safety feature.  If you want to write files to the C drive, launch Ndure Toolset.

As for uninstalling the softmod and going back to normal, there are a couple ways to do that.  If you made a full backup of your C drive before installing the softmod (probably not, because I didn't tell you to) then you can restore that using either Ndure Toolset or XboxHDM.  The other way would be using NDURE toolset and FTPing in, deleting everythign in the C drive and FTPing over a stock C.

NOTE:  Kingroach, I tried restoring the C drive from SlaYer's and got a few errors halfway through, not sure if this was known or not, but it was really weird.

By the way, to all the people asking if you can use this tutorial to install on a completely fresh, brand-new hard drive:  I tried today installing on a freshly formatted hard drive and I couldn't get it to work.  No matter what I tried, nothing was working without the stock C files already on the drive.

SIDENOTE REQUEST:  HSD gave me edit abilities, so that I could maintain this tutorial, and I plan to do so.  But I have a question for all you smart people.  When I initially posted the tutorial, I posted it as three posts, one right after another.  It combined these three posts into one post for some reason, not sure why.  Well, that's fine, but now I can't edit it.  Whenever I go to edit the post, and hit submit, it says there are too many images (which there are, that's why I wanted it to be 3 posts).  So how can I edit my tutorial?

Ndure protagonist

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2006, 12:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Textbook @ Mar 12 2006, 12:04 AM) View Post

Hmm, that's weird.  I have never seen XboxHDM say "no space" on C drive.  Maybe it's a little bug Kingroach has to work out.  I know the backup C drive option doesn't work, at least with my build, and he said he was going to be fixing that and some other things.  I'll let Kingroach handle this question, because I've never seen this and have no idea what it could be.

As for not being able to write files to the C drive after the softmod, that is a safety feature.  If you want to write files to the C drive, launch Ndure Toolset.

As for uninstalling the softmod and going back to normal, there are a couple ways to do that.  If you made a full backup of your C drive before installing the softmod (probably not, because I didn't tell you to) then you can restore that using either Ndure Toolset or XboxHDM.  The other way would be using NDURE toolset and FTPing in, deleting everythign in the C drive and FTPing over a stock C.

NOTE:  Kingroach, I tried restoring the C drive from SlaYer's and got a few errors halfway through, not sure if this was known or not, but it was really weird.

By the way, to all the people asking if you can use this tutorial to install on a completely fresh, brand-new hard drive:  I tried today installing on a freshly formatted hard drive and I couldn't get it to work.  No matter what I tried, nothing was working without the stock C files already on the drive.

SIDENOTE REQUEST:  HSD gave me edit abilities, so that I could maintain this tutorial, and I plan to do so.  But I have a question for all you smart people.  When I initially posted the tutorial, I posted it as three posts, one right after another.  It combined these three posts into one post for some reason, not sure why.  Well, that's fine, but now I can't edit it.  Whenever I go to edit the post, and hit submit, it says there are too many images (which there are, that's why I wanted it to be 3 posts).  So how can I edit my tutorial?
{^ Re. the unwritable C, if I've understood correctly, they're referring to the virtual-C though... ^}

Ndure protagonist

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »

Textbook, re. the backup option not working, does it if you first use xbrowser to create the /E/backup directory?

}: I'm unable to try any of this, as I can rarely use "my" Xbox now! :{

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ndure protagonist @ Mar 14 2006, 10:53 AM) View Post

Textbook, re. the backup option not working, does it if you first use xbrowser to create the /E/backup directory?

}: I'm unable to try any of this, as I can rarely use "my" Xbox now! :{

I'll try it when I get home, I'll continue updating this if it needs be.  I check this thread everyday, so all your questions/suggestions/comments will be read by me.  Anything you and Kingroach can do to help out with the tutorial is appreciated.  You guys are the brains behind this, I just know how to use what you guys make, lol.

pvenkat

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »

Thanks Textbook for your tutorial. I have successfully soft modded by xbox using xboxhdm and hotswapping. Everything is working as it should be except one thing! Your tutorial is great and was able to mod the xbox in about 2 hours...I had little trouble hotswapping (my harddrive won't unlock if I wait too long.)

OK. I admit, I screwed up and I need your help. The only reason I softmodded was to turn XBMC (which is great by the way.) I don't play any games. After I soft modded and running XBMC, I got the hidef AV pack and tried to change the resolution settings to enable 480p and 720p. I could change it in the xboxdash but the settings won't stick after the reboot. I got frustrated by trying different things. I tried to copy eeprom.bin to C:\, E:\, E:\shadowC folders with no success. No matter what I do, the settings won't stick after the reboot.  I don't know how I did it but I managed to screw up the default MS DASH. It won't launch now I get the "service required" error when I try to launch. To make matters worse, I did the softmod again which I think took the bad M$ DASH and patched it again. I don't really care about the M$ DASH but for hi-def resolution settings. Is there a way to set the hi-def resolution without going thru the M$ DASH? If not, what is the best way to recover it. I can boot to EVOX and XBMC but I understand that I can't overwrite the files in C drive. I have a backup of EEPROM.bin and HDD key (if that matters.) I also downloaded MS DASH files from somewhere...

Sorry for the long message. Please be patient with me as I don't want to make things worse by doing something without checking with you experts.  Thanks a lot...

Dr Psycho

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »

Thx for the nice guide

I did get the No space on the C thingy on my 1.6 Xbox, but it still moves on to part 3, and then replied done.
After that I removed the drive from my pc and inserted it back into the Xbox, and the softmod worked as a charm...(Backup, XBMC and emulators with no problems)
I can also see that the C drive still have around 320mb left, so I don't see why the error appears.

kingroach

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »

problems with shadowc occurs when xboxhdm mess up file permission in shadowc file.. however file premissionshould not work with xbox..

anyway I actually fixed all the issues (backup/option 2, file permission) in xboxhdm script few days ago.. but this is spring break week so I have been busy..  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  I will test the script after this weekend and will release asap..

Ndure protagonist

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2006, 08:24:00 AM »

Textbook, did the backup option work for you (when the /E/backup directory was created first via xbrowser)?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 82