xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 82

Author Topic: Ndure Softmod Through Xboxhdm  (Read 24543 times)

Ndure protagonist

• Archived User
Ndure Softmod Through Xboxhdm
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 09:51:00 AM »

Great work Textbook!

{&
Re. your xonlinedash console preference; renaming E/boot1.bin afterwards switches it to the regular MS dash (and vice verca) ... another really nice feature kingroach added.

Re. UDDAE; IMO its major benefit is when Ndure is disabled/de-activated (via the Toolset for full, normal retail MS dash usage) it provides a way back to the softmod without needing to re-open the console (nor needing a game save exploit).
&}

.:Dino:.

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »

Excellent tut textbook. Great to see its been pinned aswell!. I only did my first softmod a few weeks ago using your uxe tut, but then just started again and figured out how to install ndure. Its very simple once you understand the hotswap, xboxhdm, and read the readme's of any release.

Thanks mate beerchug.gif

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(mr_ragh @ Mar 9 2006, 09:18 AM) View Post

outstanding tut!
i used TEXT's other tut last night (uxe with hdm) and it worked fine!

i wont get into it, but not soon after i fragged my drive (error 21)
a quick question in this thred: can i use this method of soft modding to mod a brand new retail hd?

i have another box thats chipped..
what would be my best option?

Hmm, good question.  I've only tested this install on a hard drive with the stock 5960 dash already on it.  I'm not sure what you would do with a clean hard drive.  I'll go home and format a hard drive and test it.  Thanks for asking this, I didn't even think about it.  After I test it, I'll post back or somebody smarter than me will give you the answer before I can.

QUOTE(krustykrab @ Mar 9 2006, 09:39 AM) View Post

Excellent tutorial
Just one question before I give it a go:-
in your checklist you say
--My CD/DVD drive is connected to the primary slave IDE connection.

Will it not work with the cd rom connected to the secondary master or slave as this way leaves my IDE cable rather short.

Oops.  I guess I got a little carried away with making the requirements.  You can have the DVD/CD drive anywhere but the primary master.  As a matter of fact, every time I have used XboxHDM, my DVD drive was connected to the secondary IDE channel.  I've asked HSD for editing control for this thread.  If he gives it to me, I'll change that.

QUOTE(kingroach @ Mar 9 2006, 11:02 AM) View Post

you take spoon-feeding to the new level.. beerchug.gif

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for Ndure 3  beerchug.gif

QUOTE(krayzie @ Mar 9 2006, 11:21 AM) View Post

temp pinned and submitted to tuts topic. Great tut once again.....

Thanks Krayzie.

QUOTE(Ndure protagonist @ Mar 9 2006, 11:58 AM) View Post

Great work Textbook!

{&
Re. your xonlinedash console preference; renaming E/boot1.bin afterwards switches it to the regular MS dash (and vice verca) ... another really nice feature kingroach added.

Re. UDDAE; IMO its major benefit is when Ndure is disabled/de-activated (via the Toolset for full, normal retail MS dash usage) it provides a way back to the softmod without needing to re-open the console (nor needing a game save exploit).
&}

I didn't know about that boot1.bin changing the dualboot to the MS dash.  Very nice tip, and thanks to Kingroach for adding it.

Oh yeah, forgot that's what UDDAE's main use was for.  I still haven't even used UDDAE yet, and it's been a long time since I've used SCEEE, so I forgot exactly what it was.

colt45joe

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »

is it okay to not choose any of the nkpatchers?

and also,  my kernel: 5659 is not on the kernel list.. should i not use this method of modding my xbox then?

This post has been edited by colt45joe: Mar 10 2006, 04:25 AM

TheMuso

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »

If you don't choose any of the nkpatchers, nkpatcher is installed, but without looking it up, I can't remember which version.

If you kernel is not listed, you can choose generic for generic fonts. I remember reading somewhere that kernel specific fonts aren't always needed for all installs.

Hope this helps.

kingroach

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(colt45joe @ Mar 10 2006, 04:31 AM) View Post

is it okay to not choose any of the nkpatchers?

and also,  my kernel: 5659 is not on the kernel list.. should i not use this method of modding my xbox then?

5659 is your dashboard version.. look under dashboard version in xbox infor panel to find out the kernel.. it shoudl look like this : K: 5859.01

Shots

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 11:03:00 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial, Textbook! I updated mine just now and it worked perfect. I re-installed the retail first according to the XBoxHDM thread (wasn't sure if I'd get the correct Kernel version on a previously modded box).

You might want to add a note on the end that the XBox light will be orange when running in the modded state and green when running from the tray boot state. It might save you some headaches trying to explain it to new people (like me but I searched for the answer).

Also, you might want to warn new people that you won't see you C drive in the modded state (at least I'm pretty sure, since I don't see the contents of mine).

Anyways, thanks again for the tutorial!  smile.gif

Ndure protagonist

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 12:06:00 AM »

{+ Re. Option 1 and UDDAE; currently at least, Option 3 is also necessary (to put the ST.DB in place). +}

muggsy

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 02:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(muggsy @ Mar 10 2006, 02:30 AM) *

Well looks like I will be one of the first testers...... left my xbox in NZ when I moved to the uk so just ordered a new one from play.com. Was going to use your old tutorial but will go thru this tonight or tomorrow..

Thanks for your great work and I will let you know how I get on

Well got my brand new xbox from play.com yesterday.. and after ensuring it worked out of the box I promptly took it to pieces....

Kernel - 5838 and hotswapping doesn't work unless you do the audio track pause etc....

Everything worked okay, but on Part 2, it complained about about a directory being copied as a folder and then said there was no space left on device.....

I'm not 100% what apps it is suppose to copy, but when I rebooted my xbox to start again it booted in unleashx and all was okay, minus any apps etc (Which I installed myself anyway)

But other than that I am a happy owner of a new soft modded xbox thanks to you and the other great contributers

Tomdabomb3333

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 02:45:00 AM »

Great TUT...he's right about the spoonfeeding....

I modded my 4920 dash with out a problem using Ndure 3.0 and XboxHDM...But when It came to my newer box K: 1.00.5838.01
      D: 1.00.5960.01
I Did the same thing once with generic fonts(worked with my other box), and again with the kernal specific fonts...Upon completion and reboot of my xbox, I was greeted by the pesky error 21.

I was thinking about hotswapping in a game expoit and then coldbooting the game of chioce?....Is that possible.

Also was thinking of hotswapping and returning it to its retail state.   I was reading that I need Slayers 2.6 to obtain the original M$ dash...would someone be able to help me restore it back to stock so I could go about trying to mod it another way!?!?!

anyhelp is great...

GOD bless people like Krazie, and Kingroach for coming up with this stuff!!!...Moddern day Robin Hood is what I say.

And thanks for VERY in depth TUT....its sometimes nessesary to be spoon fed!

MajikNWA

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 03:11:00 AM »

Many thanks for the tutorial there sir. You have inspired me to not spend out money and softmod it myself.

I am no newbie to modding, but it's my first foray into XBox modding, so please bear with me. I have read an enormous amount of information, and I'd like for you to clear something up for me if you wouldn't mind.

re: Doing the NDure softmod onto a fresh drive - I may well be trying this this weekend. Bearing in mind my limited practical knowledge - here's my thoughts. Refute and laugh at if possible so I don't make a mess of my XBox. I have a new, untouched XBox. If I do the Ndure mod on a totally fresh and clean IDE hard drive, the eeprom will be missing, right? So here's my question - as hotswapping locks the Hard Disk on reboot, will this put the eeprom file on the new hard disk when inserted into the Xbox and rebooted? I'm thinking not, so the only problem with doing a new hard drive is getting that blasted eeprom on there.

If all the above is correct, then I have walked through my method of softmodding a new, retail xbox and upgrading the hard drive - can someone tear it apart or let me know if my logic is sound?

1) Using NDure hotswap method (without .67 addition), softmod original Xbox drive successfully.
2) Backup eeprom using ftp
3)Create NDure ISO disc with .67 addition, placing eeprom in correct area on CD (and any other game saves wanted etc)
4) Use NDure ISO, softmod new 250gb hard drive
5) Lock hard drive with Xboxhdm using inserted eeprom
6) Install new hard drive and we're rocking, right???

Thats seems to make sense to me.

Majik

Tomdabomb3333

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 03:35:00 AM »

Kernel - 5838 and hotswapping doesn't work unless you do the audio track pause etc....

I don't know about that....My box was 5838 and since I have an error 21 goin on, I have to Hotswap right when I boot the xbox(after the Big X but before the white MS)

anybody wanna make a tut on how to restore your hard-drive to retail if you've softmodded and something went wrong Ex: Error 21.   If this is even possible....Ive read posts where people say you can, ive also seen posts saying that I have to now get a mod chip...

Man I wish I knew how to get ahold of Krazie or KingRoach right now! haha

kingroach

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 05:09:00 AM »

can you boot any burned games in your ver. 5838 xbox ? if so then it might be problem with copying dash.. other than that you have two option:

use the script and use option "1".. it checks every file needed for mod and copy them on eby one..

get clean C drive from slayers disk, use ndure installer patching option on the C drive files and thyen using xboxhdm go to "xboxhd" option and use the option that says "recreate C drive".

@MajikNWA,

when you upgrade the xbox.. it better if you just copy all the contents from your hard drive's C partition and anything needed from E partition ( dash folder).  Use xboxhdm and just create a whole hd from scratch. That way all the files from your old harddrive will be there and if you made any changes then they will be there too.

MajikNWA

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 06:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(kingroach @ Mar 10 2006, 12:16 PM) *

@MajikNWA,

when you upgrade the xbox.. it better if you just copy all the contents from your hard drive's C partition and anything needed from E partition ( dash folder).  Use xboxhdm and just create a whole hd from scratch. That way all the files from your old harddrive will be there and if you made any changes then they will be there too.

D'oh. Good call. Thanks brother.

Following the method above, does that seem fine for upgrading the Xbox?

Majik

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(Tomdabomb3333 @ Mar 10 2006, 05:42 AM) *

anybody wanna make a tut on how to restore your hard-drive to retail if you've softmodded and something went wrong Ex: Error 21.   If this is even possible....Ive read posts where people say you can, ive also seen posts saying that I have to now get a mod chip...

Soullar already made one, specifically for error 21.  Click HERE. Thanks Soullar.

QUOTE(MajikNWA @ Mar 10 2006, 07:32 AM) *

D'oh. Good call. Thanks brother.

Following the method above, does that seem fine for upgrading the Xbox?

Majik

Yup, looks good, you obviously did some reading before signing up to post in the forums.  Congrats to you, as many people do not do that.  After having the stock hard drive successfully modded, it is a lot easier to just clone your hard drive.  But remember, this softmod installs a Shadow C drive.  Your "true" C files are hidden, so if you ftp'ed over while NKPatcher (the softmod) is running, it won't copy everything correctly.  So, in order to see all the hidden files, launch the Ndure Toolset before FTP'ing into your Xbox.  The Ndure toolset will give you full hard drive access and let you backup every file.

Also, another note.  After upgrading the hard drive with .67, you will have an F and G drive.  But your G drive will say 0 hard drive space.  This is because XboxHDM does not have the ability to format the G partition.  So in your dashboard, look through the settings to make sure "Use G drive" is enabled.  Then, use UnleashX to format the G drive, and you should have your free space on there.

Good luck to both of you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 82