xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tutorial : Error 21 On Softmod (-attempt)  (Read 425 times)

crunkjucie

• Archived User
Tutorial : Error 21 On Softmod (-attempt)
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2005, 09:28:00 AM »

is it possible that i could just get my friends c:/ and e:/ folders and replace mine with his.

ToonArmyCanada

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2005, 11:25:00 PM »

First off, thanks everyone for the great info!

I'm running into the "Service Required" - 21 error, but it doesn't appear that my situation quite fits with the others described here.

I have a Mod Chip (apologies, I don't know the exact model/version, I had it done for me), it's been working perfectly for about a year now...

Last night, I was attempting to update XBMC via FTP, and I'm thinking that somehow the root of the C drive became corrupted, or a file was overwritten or something because as of today I'm getting the error 21.

I *CAN* still play originals, however, none of my copied games work.  I have tried downloading, burning, and booting off of the Auto-Installer Deluxe v2.11, but I get the same Error 21 as I get with my copied games...

I figure I just need to get FTP access to the drive and I can restore my backups, but at the moment I can't figure out how to get onto the HD...  Obviously I want to avoid having to pull apart the machine if possible...  Any suggestions??!?!?

Soullar

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2005, 01:35:00 AM »

If someone else modded it for you there are a few possibilities ...

- There is no chip installed at all, but the one who modded your xbox did a softmod without telling you.

Reason : a chipped box should boot backed up games / auto-installer discs.

If you're 100% sure a chip was installed:
* The chip shifted out of place (if it's a solderless one), one of the wires came loose or the chip died.

* The chip is turned off. Look for switches somewhere on your xbox.

Better open up your xbox and check if there's a chip at all ... it needs to be fixed/replaced anyway.

If there's no chip .... contact your modder and tell him he ripped you off.

Flook

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »

I was upgrading a friends xbox with a 120 gig segate hard drive and used xbox hdm to build the drive.  It is a 1.6b xbox and I have build hard drives a few dozen times but this time I kept getting error 21 when I'd hook it up.

I didn't even softmod it or anything.  I just wanted to boot up the 120 gig with all original files.  I even rebacked up the original drive and made the xboxhdm disk again with no luck.

What finally worked perfect was to use the clone hdd option in xbox hdm.  I just unlocked the original and cloned it to the new drive.  No more error 21.

ToonArmyCanada

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Soullar @ Sep 25 2005, 04:46 AM)
If someone else modded it for you there are a few possibilities ...

- There is no chip installed at all, but the one who modded your xbox did a softmod without telling you.

Reason : a chipped box should boot backed up games / auto-installer discs.

If you're 100% sure a chip was installed:
* The chip shifted out of place (if it's a solderless one), one of the wires came loose or the chip died.

* The chip is turned off. Look for switches somewhere on your xbox.

Better open up your xbox and check if there's a chip at all ... it needs to be fixed/replaced anyway.

If there's no chip .... contact your modder and tell him he ripped you off.

Thanks for the tip...  It appears you're correct...  I've opened up my XBOX and low and behold, no MOD chip!  I was quite certain that I had been explicitly told by my modder (because I asked) which chip he was using, and luckily I've still got his email as proof:

CODE
Cost is $50 installed for the latest Aladdin Live.

So I'm pretty ticked off that I apparently just got a softmod instead!  I've given this guy a bunch of referrals too!  Well I'll get in touch with him and hopefully he do it right this time!

jas982345

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »

can someone please tell me where i can get the ms dashboard iv been looking for it for awile and i still cant find it!!!

DaddyJ

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(jas982345 @ Dec 6 2005, 05:15 PM) View Post

can someone please tell me where i can get the ms dashboard iv been looking for it for awile and i still cant find it!!!

Slayers v2.6 or any LIVE enabled game,  its contained in the dashupdate.xbe, which requires orginal fonts to run.

jas982345

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »

how do i install the ms dashboard with a live enabled game? and i installed my softmod using the xboxhdm method so do i just put the hole slayers autoinstaler in the c part of the cd inorder to fix the error?

This post has been edited by jas982345: Dec 7 2005, 02:21 AM

ps3

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

This will revert your xbox back to original, so you can start over your mod attempt. It's very well possible to correct the problem AND mod at the same time, but there are too many packages out there to give a tailor made solution for all. Simply start over and use 'UXE complete' (xbins) this time. Make sure to follow all directions in the 'UXE Complete' download.

so will this undo everything that i did? i want to keep all of the data that i have in the F and G drives. basically i just want to install the evox dash again (or any other dash for that matter)

You should add..

"If you noobs ever install a softmod, please install dualboot! It could potentially fix error 21 even quicker than above"

Nobody on this site, who softmods, has ever comented on how dualboot is the best thing ever. it's like the invention of airbags but for softmodding!

install it or die!

would this be something written/changed into the nk patcher? it would have to be written into the bios (?)

how do we go about doing this? it would saved me a lot of time/money if i had a queue of dashes to load if one happened to fail.

bigdavev2

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2006, 02:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(lordshodan @ Aug 19 2005, 09:47 AM) View Post

after reading all the posts on Error 21 in this topic, it seems none of them is helpful for me.  sad.gif

What am I supposed to do when the saved game exploit fails to load and greets me with error 21 (it worked fine on one XBOX but not the other one and I use the exact same game Splinter cell and same memory card)  Are there any compatibility issues with some dashboard/xbox versions with some exploits?   blink.gif

Again this error occurs when ATTEMPTING to load a saved game exploit that worked perfectly with another XBOX by myself personnaly.  

Thanks.

Hey i have the same problem as you wondering if you or anyone else has solved the problem this is the first time ive tryed a softmod before on this console ps i am using mech assult and an AR to try to get it running also which is the best exploit softmod to use and where can i get it as the one im using i think might be the problem?

darkmac

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »

Hi I have an xbox with ltools  with MXM installed and I accidentally erased my e drive, and now it comes up with an error 21 at boot. The xbox will still boot from a retail cd, but I have no access to any type of dashboard. Also I can't ftp into it anymore. From the tutorial I understand I have to do a hotswap, but I'm confused on how to move the files from Slayers to build the Xboxhdm. I just want to be able to get it back to stock and then reinstall a softmod. If anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

Magic_Man

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

I did a dual boot softmod with SID 4.0 Nknave... eject button MS dashboard, power button Evox.

Attempted to format the F drive using the exploit but it kept asking for a password that I couldn't figure out.  Finally gave up.  Made no changes, nothing, nada.

Now the MSdash is error 21...  Everything Evox is fine.  Can boot retail games and still access the SC exploit.

This should be an easy fix... I even have a backup.   So I FTP'd the backup... no dice. Here's what's currently on the C:

IPB Image

What am I missing?  I'm pretty noob to be sure so I don't want to proceed without expert advise. smile.gif

I would just like to restore the MS dash without damaging the softmod.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »

I ran into a similar issue today and couldn't make any changes to C:.  My understanding is that Shadowimg prevents users from messing with files on C:, but how do you repair it if something goes wrong?

It's too late for me as I pretty much bricked the HD and I don't feel like trying the hotswap method. I used an 80gig drive I had and formatted it with xboxhdm and now the box is working again.

Good luck to those who are having problems, hopefully you'll figure it out before you end up like me  wink.gif

nickleburn

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »

Greetings,

I'm thinking about buying a soft modded Xbox which is receiving the error 21, after suposedly accidently going on Xbox Live.  From reading all of these posts can I safely assume that after a normal hard mod and hard drive upgrade it will no longer receive the error 21 assuming I flahs the bios and install the dashboard correctly?

Thanks in advance!

ech0dish

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »

thank you so much!@#!@ the original tutorial i was following didn't give any warnings of an issue with this kernel, i figured if there was a solution they would of updated such a detailed tutorial. anyways, thank you soooooo much!@!!! you saved me from getting my ass stomped by a really large man.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4