xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Step By Step Guide  (Read 120 times)

HAMDAWG

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« on: April 21, 2005, 02:36:00 PM »

my  goal is to first softmod my box, (i think v1.0-1.1) thats never been on live so that i can get evox and the xbmc. after that i wan't to upgrade to a 160gb hardrive to store all of my stuff. i've been reading around these forums for about the past two weeks and have read most of the tutorials on getting evox. what i can't figue out is which is the simplest for me to use, each tutorial is different , involves and different installer, etc. and i'm not exactly sure which is the most current or up to date or what will give me what i want. i will admit i have never had a chipped or softmodded xbox , i only do hardware mods (leds, paint, jewels, dvd window, etc.) cuz i used to play live a lot. so i'm kinda inexperienced in this field. what i really want is an something like a media hub in my xbox, to hold all my dvds, divx and my games too. i thought softmodding seemed like the right choice because its i don't have to chip the box, and i can always go back to the origninal stock dash and harddrive as well as softmodding seems fairly simple once its done. what i'd like is your guys feed back, and give me a step in the right direction to get me started, like a step by step guide or something. thanks for reading, and i appreciate it a lot if i do get some help

after i have done this, i will try to make a step by step guide for absolute beginners to follow from my point of view as a beginner, hopefully this will help get more people into the modding scene.

This post has been edited by HAMDAWG: Apr 21 2005, 09:49 PM

tweakmyknob

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

Give THIS a read... substitute nkpatcher-67 for nkpatcher-06 Should work for you, it worked for me...

BigSteel

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »

First we need to know if you have an exploitable game and a memory card.  If you do, then it is pretty simple to use one of the autoinstallers.  If not, then you will need to read up on hotswaping.

Pojojedichicken

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

As far as vieiwing movies and divx use Xbox media center, have your xbox hooked up to your pc through a network so you can FTP divx and movies onto the xbox to watch on your tv. For game backups you could put the disc in the xbox and have it copy to a folder on the xbox then be launched with your dashboard(requires a program check xbox-scene's software section). As for softmods UXE sounds good....

HAMDAWG

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 03:12:00 PM »

wow, you guys are extremely reliable, and that was really fast, keep on responding, i'll take a look at what each of you has said, and by the yes i have a usb stick with the homemade cable that has already been formatted by the xbox. i have the orignial mechassualt as well if that helps, thanks again for the fast response. oh and just on the side on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is softmodding the xbox for the first time and how long might it take me.

ps: not sure how to get the computer to recognize the memory key, tried megaxkey, not showing up. i have already formatted the usb drive on the xbox

BigSteel

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 03:50:00 PM »

As long as you can get the gamesave onto the memory stick and ultimately onto the xbox hard drive, softmodding is pretty simple.  Use Krayzies installer (found in the usual places) and it becomes really easy and should take no more than 5mins once you have the game save on the hard drive.

HAMDAWG

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »

that quick huh?, thats great i'll give a try next week(hopefully) kinda busy at the moment though,

still anyone got any ideas on how to get my pc to recognize my memory stick (128mb lexar jumpdrive sport) while it formatted to FATX(I think)

quick question, is slayer's autoinstaller and option for me, just wondering, i've hear a lot of people say its great

This post has been edited by HAMDAWG: Apr 21 2005, 11:07 PM

doublemint76

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »

Just buy a memory card, cheap enough considering the amount your gonna save on games. Always useful anyway if going round mates houses etc.

I wouldn't recommend using slayers on a soft modded xbox. Its geared more to chips.
Try autoinstaller deluxe, much more comprehensive for what your after.

HAMDAWG

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »

i'll check into that: autoinstaller deluxe, yeah i've already got a mem card too, oh and thanks for the advice on slayer's. all of this advice is good, so i'll try and compile it all

390 AMX

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

HAMDAWG

• Archived User
Step By Step Guide
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »

you guys are once again very helpful, you make it sound so simple, lets hope it works out when i actually do the softmod, i'm away for four days, i'll keep you updated when i start exploiting the box. then i can start on an absolute beginner tut start to finish, i guess if people were interested in me doing that i'd be ready