xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Uxe Package For Xboxhdm  (Read 880 times)

kingroach

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

well.. I "borrowed" and modified some codes from your xboxhd script. I tried to compile a new 2.4.29 linux kernel but somehow I always fails compiling in teh half way..

fix for the linux fatx driver so that nkpatcher with shadow C: could be made automatic.

The current xboxhdm works fine.. I used "dd" to dump a 1:1 copy of C drive after seeing "driveimageutilities" does teh same thing..

A statically linked nasm compiler was another project on the todo list, to enable xboxhdm to compile fonts and nkpatcher.

I was thinking of teh same thing ( look a few posts up..).. may be dadyj was working on the same project.. I will indulge on that too if I get enough time..

its nice to see around.. beerchug.gif

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »

smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2005, 06:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(ldots @ Mar 6 2005, 05:55 PM)
Hi,

ldots

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2005, 06:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(kingroach @ Mar 7 2005, 12:12 AM)
I tried to compile a new 2.4.29 linux kernel but somehow I always fails compiling in teh half way..

I would check up on the latest xbox-linux kernel patches and see if the 2.6 kernel tree has reached a mature state. When I was last active here on the scene the fatx driver for the 2.6 kernel wasn't working too well. A 2.6 kernel would remove the need to have both the "Boot to linux with hd locking utils" and "... without hd locking utils" options of xboxhdm.
The current xboxhdm works fine.. I used "dd" to dump a 1:1 copy of C drive after seeing "driveimageutilities" does teh same thing..

Sure, you can always make an image. But I would like to be able to create a blank image file (dd if=/dev/null of=shadow.img bs=? count=?) and then format it to fatx, so that the shadow C: wouldn't have to be 300MB and could be build from what the user includes on the xboxhdm CD.

Edit : Another thing to work on is getting (Ultra)-DMA enabled in the kernel. I believe the lack of DMA must be the reason why some people experience slow HD transfer and especially slow cloning in xboxhdm.

kingroach

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 06:45:00 AM »

But I would like to be able to create a blank image file (dd if=/dev/null of=shadow.img bs=? count=?) and then format it to fatx, so that the shadow C: wouldn't have to be 300MB and could be build from what the user includes on the xboxhdm CD.

I was thinking creating a shadowc.img from fatx.raw:

dd if=fatx.raw of=/shadowc.img bs=512k seek=x

then loop it and copy files from cd.. this creates a 145mb of shadowc.img.. but I never tried that though..

ldots

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2005, 11:08:00 AM »

The small fatx.raw file I included in the xboxhdm package doesn't really do anything, except putting the word "FATX" at the needed position on the HDD to enable the linux kernel to recognize the partitions as suited for an xbox.
Regardless of whether you dump the fatx.raw file a certain amount of times to a file or build an image full of zeroes (from /dev/null) you will have to create a fatx filesystem for nkpatcher to use it as a shadow C:
The problem is however that the current fatx driver has a bug (I believe Rmenhal mentioned this in a thread a long time ago) which means writing to a file on the shadow C: can fail. This is also the reason some people have had problems with using the E-drive created by xboxhdm...
Therefore the fatx driver should be fixed (probably already has been in the CVS tree of xbox-linux kernel patches) and a new kernel should be build for xboxhdm.
This would allow a nice setup of showdow C: from xboxhdm (and also Ltools) for nkpatcher to use.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »

I had actually planned a remaster of XboxHDM for this exact purpose, all-though my workload doesnt allow me to get to play with it, as much as I like.

kingroach

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »

dry.gif  create a 150mb blank fatx partition using xboxhdm and then gigazip the file which will be around 1-2kb..then that will be included with the xboxhdm / uxe/ltools/ude pack..that file then can be extracted and mounted using xboxhdm and copy C drive files from cd or xbox C drive..

sound possible?..  dry.gif  unsure.gif

ldots

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »

dry.gif

obeja

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »

@biotech

yes it was the renaming that did the job

jakino

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »

i have 1.6 pal xbox.
When i do option 2 of this uxe installer it says on part 3 : "cannot remove /xbox/C/xboxdash.xbe: no such file or directory"..  other parts go ok..
why?

xboxhaxorz

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2005, 12:53:00 AM »

when i unplug the hdd, the dash freezes, is this normal.

i tried it a few times, after loading hdm i type in UDE but it says no hdd on primary master drive.

i have a virgin 1.6. i also plan to put a larger hdd in this later. how would i go about doing that after i install ude on the stock. i just get the eeprom file right and then lock it after preparing the files

kingroach

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »

I guess your HD is still locked.. see dadyj's hotswap tutorial.. and out the harddrive on primary master.

ABC

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(jakino @ Mar 28 2005, 04:36 PM)
i have 1.6 pal xbox.

krayzie

• Archived User
Uxe Package For Xboxhdm
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2005, 10:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(KMA @ Apr 25 2005, 04:59 PM)
I