xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Accidently Rename Update.xbe To Xboxdash.xbe  (Read 402 times)

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Accidently Rename Update.xbe To Xboxdash.xbe
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 10:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(triggernum5)
DaddyJ, whatever happened to that notion that 007 could load from the memcard?  I assume the idea has been put to rest?..

Officially you cannot load a XBE from a memory card.

007 can load a game save from the memory card, but the manifest will copy the save to the hd, and then load, since the manifest calls for the default.xbe, that doesnt get copied, so an error 21 will occur.

After several attempts of whut I thought to be successful, All attempts to run any XBE from a memory card failed.

XboxBuNnY

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »

Damn!  Again, DaddyJ so my only options are to use Xboxhdm or a modchip?

cmiz

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005, 12:07:00 AM »

so when you try to boot an exploitable game and run the exploit, it gives you an error 21...and you don't have access to the retail msdash? if that's the case then you could TRY booting a dashboard from a disc (but i'd assume that wouldn't work). other than that, you'll need xboxhdm. i feel bad that you're very stressed out about this, but i thought we made it clear that messing around with scripts would almost certainly result in needing to restore at some point....nobody is perfect.

XboxBuNnY

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »

Yeah its my fault though, I perfected my script on on my other xbox...It works like a charm installs and uninstalls....I read up on how to use UEEE and currently am using that... So that I could launch it and run easily.

cmiz

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »

did you backup your eeprom? (i certainly hope you did) if that's the case then just use xboxhdm. with the eeprom you can boot the computer with the hard drive attached which means there's no more risk to your hard drive or computer than booting up the computer normally. hotswapping carries a few more risks...but not really that many i suppose.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »

Try letting your LIVE enabled game to update the dash, you might at least be able to get back in that way

cmiz

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2005, 12:55:00 AM »

i was thinking that....but if the hacked fonts are there it would error out....certainly worth a shot though

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »

Just a tip, hair-dryers can effectively peel the stickers on the bottom of the xbox if you are careful..  I'm curious though, if your xbox is currently 'broken' why won't your dad let you open it?

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005, 08:55:00 AM »

many parents do not always trust their young with hardware.

used to be the same for me a few years ago.

now im always opening shit up and messing around with it.

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2005, 08:56:00 AM »

i was thinking that....but if the hacked fonts are there it would error out....certainly worth a shot though
Wait a minute, if its going through the update process then the hacked fonts must not be present correct?  Do you see words on your screen?

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2005, 08:59:00 AM »

many parents do not always trust their young with hardware.

used to be the same for me a few years ago.

now im always opening shit up and messing around with it.
I understand alot of parents don't follow my philosophy: "If it ain't broken, fix it until it is.."  But its currently broken..smile.gif

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2005, 09:20:00 AM »

indeed.

it is situations such as this which makes it wise to have an exploited gamesave on the hard drive.

if there were hacked fonts present when an update executed then it would result in an error 21. no error usually means no hacked fonts present.

if so then an update will probably do the trick.

also i am trying to remember whether the star wars dvd booted default.xbe upon bootup, this forces a dash update if the fonts are present, so this could also be used.

if a solution cannot be found then you are to explain to your dad that the xbox is currently 'broken' (for lack of a better word) but it can be easily fixed by plugging the hard drive into your pc (providing you have a backup of your eeprom, if not then you really do need to do some explaining).

cmiz

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2005, 10:18:00 AM »

i've been fixing things to destruction since i was a child. currently i've gotten better at being able to refix them once they were 'fixed' a little too much.

it may help if you explain to your dad exactly what you're doing and that it's not going to break anything. try the update first though to see what happens

XboxBuNnY

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »

There are no hacked fonts...in there I removed them all before it happened. Complete stock C and I think what happened was I renamed update.xbe to xboxdash.xbe.

And I had my EEPROM on the computer but he removes most files that seem like a bad thing towards the computer (trojan, spyware, and viruses).

So what are my choices now?

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »

if your dashboard is not the absolute latest then an update will solve the issue.

i don't know anything about LIVE, but perhaps there is a way to update it on that.

either way you need to initiate an update.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4