xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Softmods And Xbox Live  (Read 254 times)

Angerwound

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« on: January 26, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »

First of all, this was made because it seems there is a lot of mixed info regarding this.

Is it possible to use XBOX Live with a softmodded XBOX?
Yes, it is very possible. However, this does not mean you can sign on to XBOX Live after the softmod has been enabled.

I heard XBOX Live is scanning the hard drive, is this true?
While we can't prove what they WERE doing, we can say that they are not scanning the partitions for certain files at the moment. Therefore, you can have whatever you want on either partition. Gamesave Exploits/UXE/UEEE... etc...

Then why are so many people being banned?
Many 'Theories' have been developed within the 'XBOX Live Forum'. They all seem to lead to that same conclusion. If you are banned and a simple eeprom swap does not resolve the problem; place your original HDD in the console (If Upgraded), update your eeprom with a fresh one, and sign-up for a new gamertag. This will cover all theories at once.

So how do I access XBOX Live after installing UXE?
Well, first of all you will need your Live Account. If you don't have your account saved to a memory card or already on your console then you will need to copy back the original 'xboxdash.xbe' and RETAIL fonts back to the 'C' partition.
Boot the console to the RETAIL dashboard and do an Account Recovery to get access to your Gamertag. Once this has been completed, use your 'Gamesave Exploit' or 'XBOXHDM' disk to copy back the UXE files, (xboxdash.xbe and fonts). Now, when you wish to sign-on to xbox live with a certain game, place the disk inside the dvdrom of your console. Reboot, and the console will launch the disk in the tray before executing UXE.This has been nicknamed 'Cold-Booting' the game.  From here you can go ahead and sign-in to Live.

Are any other exploits/softmods able to be used along side a Live Enabled Console?
Yes, the soon to be released UEEE, a revamped version of the old 'Live 2.0 Exploit', as well as a simple 'Gamesave Exploit' can be used. Each of these modifications involve an exploit that is manually executed after the RETAIL dashboard has been reached. Thus, allowing one to use XBOX Live and then when they wish to launch their Homebrew Dashboard they perform the necessary steps to do so. If you are unsure about how these work please read the pinned thread entitled 'Dashboard Exploits'.

The game I wish to play is asking me to update, what should I do?
Any game that has an update sent out for it, (Bug Fixes, Game Engine Changes), will ask you to update the title before signing into the service. This is basically what happens. The game will attempt to execute 'update.xbe', from the game disk. When this occurs, the fonts will be accessed. Therefore, if you attempt to update with the UXE fonts in place your xbox will crash.
What you need to do to resolve this situation, is basically the same steps outlined in the above question to do an account recovery of your gamertag. You will need to copy back the RETAIL 'xboxdash.xbe' and 'Fonts'. Reboot, and load up the game which needs updating and allow it to do so. Once finished, use your 'Gamesave Exploit' or 'XBOXHDM Disk' to reinstall the UXE files.

Can I still download content from my Live-Enabled games?
Yes, downloading content and recieving game updates is completely different. The game updates use the update.xbe on the disk. Download Content is recieved with an execution of downloader.xbe. This file has no calls to the 'Fonts', therefore will not cause any problems during execution.

What should I do to prevent getting banned in the future?
With the latest and greatest NKPatcher release by RMENHAL. Many great features have been added to prevent a softmod user from communicating with the live service. Shadow EEPROM and Shadow 'C' as well as the Live Bloacking feature of the X2 bioses has been implemented. This should insure your console does not get you banned while you enjoy your homebrew applications.

Suggestions/Comments/EDITS are welcome...

This post has been edited by Angerwound: Jan 26 2005, 07:11 PM

krayzie

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 09:19:00 AM »

Great stuff. Finally some real answers. The live questions post count should at least reduce with 25% now.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »

Yes, this does contain some useful information.

Is it possible to use XBOX Live with a softmodded XBOX?
Yes, it is very possible. However, this does not mean you can sign on to XBOX Live after the softmod has been enabled.

Please, read this everyone..........

mkjones

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »

Great  beerchug.gif  love it smile.gif

But I would recomend adding info on using alternatives such as the exelent:

Xlink Kai biggrin.gif
(www.teamxlink.co.uk)

And dont forget the other one:

XBC  unsure.gif
(www.xbconnect.com)

Which allow sys-link games to be played online in the same way as live! wink.gif

And it doesnt matter HOW much your xbox is modded/hacked/abused  jester.gif

Personally I use Xlink Kai, its a great application and has amazing support all for FREE! Also the community is great smile.gif

Remember you can also use GameCube and PS2 online functions with Xlink Kai  love.gif

Angerwound

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 09:58:00 AM »

I already thought of adding such information but since the title of the thread is 'Softmods and XBOX Live' I figured I'd leave it out.

Also, I added this to the tutorials thread as well as cleaned out a bunch of outdated stuff.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(Angerwound)
Also, I added this to the tutorials thread as well as cleaned out a bunch of outdated stuff.

SWEET!!!! Now if we can get them to read them.... smile.gif

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »

Thanks for clearing this up!

The Quest

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »

More great help from Angerwound!! thank you beerchug.gif

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »

I've been doing alot of reading.. Marriage Theory has been pretty much proven.  What i've been hearing is that you sould upgrade your hard drive frist then sign on to live. Any idea's on that?

What We Don't Which Leads Us To What We Don't Know

luther349

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »

yes if you upgrade your hd make a new live account. the marrage thery has been proven and if you change your hd and use your old live account you will be banned.

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jan 28 2005, 01:58 AM)
yes if you upgrade your hd make a new live account. the marrage thery has been proven and if you change your hd and use your old live account you will be banned.

^^^ Should be added to the FAQ

eh.

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 09:08:00 PM »

(The account/gamertag is potentially flagged, suspended or terminated; attributes of the EEPROM and HDD are what gets banned eh.)

atomiX

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Keo-Keo @ Jan 27 2005, 06:52 PM)
I've been doing alot of reading.. Marriage Theory has been pretty much proven.  What i've been hearing is that you sould upgrade your hard drive frist then sign on to live. Any idea's on that?

What We Don't Which Leads Us To What We Don't Know

this can be supported by many including me. i still go on live with my upgraded drive because it was changed before logging on for the first time. i don't use exploits on live though since my box is chipped.

Angerwound

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »

Gamertag's are not flagged. They are banned if they connect with a modified kernel or a mismatch of eeprom/hdd in they're records. Gamertag's mean nothing, I wish people would realize this.

eh.

• Archived User
Softmods And Xbox Live
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 01:04:00 AM »

@Angerwound: do you think the findings that led to the "Chapter 4" GT update of lordvader129's pinned post [linked here] were misinterpreted eh?

This post has been edited by eh.: Jan 28 2005, 09:05 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3