xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xbox Refresh Disc  (Read 155 times)

The_Truth

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (triggernum5 @ Oct 26 2004, 07:06 AM)
Regarding BookTypes though, if we can edit dvd+r's to be DVD-ROM then is it just a matter of software to be able to set XBOX-DVD, are there more inherent differences?  Does anyone even know?  Most of the info I have found on booktypes isn't at all what I need to know..

yes... the book type on a dvd+r is easily changed from dvd+r to DVD-ROM
that is no problem...

http://www.dvdplusrw...1&sid=-1&aid=44

http://www.dvdplusrw...2&hl=bitsetting

amazingly my crappy thompson reads the burned dvd's as well if not better than the real ones!

for xbox dvd we need to see what the bitsetting is, it could potentially be cloned...

please correct me on ANY of this... just something i found in a 5 min search... wink.gif

eh. (does that mean, if hacked... it will load from dvd+r?)
got any suggestions...
if possible.. i say we get started... nothing other than time lost if it doesnt work...

RolfLobker

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 06:08:00 AM »

@[]V[]nm6687:
When you say that this disc puts an xbox in retail state you might be confusing a lot of people. Saying that it 'clears all user data' might be a better way of putting it since it does not touch the C-partition.

@eh.:
Sorry, my xbox gave up on my 2 days ago (*click*)
So I need to buy a new xbox first and preferably chip it before I can test anything.

eh.

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 08:09:00 AM »

wink.gif)

eh.

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 08:21:00 AM »

biggrin.gif) covered this for a different media type and Kthulu got that booting.  If the XBOX_DVD type's a possibility too, then a utopia disc would likely become a reality eh... pop.gif

jimmsta

• Recovered User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »

I'm willing to bet then, that this disk wipes the E partition completely... Which, depending on how the mod was installed, there could have been a "Bioses" folder on the e partition, and when getting wiped, it was obviously deleted... either that, or... I dunno.

eh.

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (jimmsta @ Oct 29 2004, 03:58 PM)
I'm willing to bet then, that this disk wipes the E partition completely... Which, depending on how the mod was installed, there could have been a "Bioses" folder on the e partition, and when getting wiped, it was obviously deleted... either that, or... I dunno.
(I'm sure you're right.  IIRC, the UDE font initially runs E:/default.xbe eh!)

@[]V[]nm6687: please could you confirm whether it did the following eh...
it cleared out E, X, Y and Z and re-created E's UDATA and TDATA/fffe0000/music directories (possibly CACHE too uhh.gif)

The_Truth

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »

wink.gif

@eh.: do you know how we could find out about XBOX-DVD specs(bitsetting, so on so forth... so we can change the media type to that)... all the good info.. it is way too far over my head... i mean i love all this stuff.. but i dont even know where to start looking! (hopefully one day i may actually help WRITE the exploits)... oh.. another oddity...lmao... i burned the new version of xebian to dvd+r($1.10!!!!!), got one of the thompson drives.. i burned a dvd video to the same brand disk... same settings and all.. the dvd video works(before my xbox was softmodded, and still does)... but the xebian disk... isnt recognized... any ideas? or better yet... how to install it from hard drive to hard drive..lol...(no disk wasted!)

This refresh disk... sounds really good for cleaning up after a softmod uninstall(if it wipes E and cache... then it deletes all programs... combined with ltools.. it would be great... possibly build a gamesave hack with it inside?(just a random little thought) biggrin.gif

Thanx

RolfLobker

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2004, 05:32:00 PM »

@jimmsta and eh.:

Error 21 = Dashboard Error

Error 21 would occur but not be limited to the following situations:

- Forgot to remove original fonts when using ude/uxe
- Missing dashboard files on C-Partition (fonts/xips/etc)
- Unsigned or non ms-signed xboxdash.xbe (i.e. hexedited xboxdash.xbe)
- No fonts on C-partition at all.

So if your softmod worked before. That would mean that all files on the C-partition would be OK.

The font-exploit will usually load a habibi-signed default.xbe (most likely a bios loader (PBL)) from the E-partition (unless font-files have been altered).

I believe the non-existance of a default.xbe on the E-partition in this case would result in a black screen (no info displayed what so ever) and red flashing power led.

So completely erasing the E-Partition should not result in an error 21.
(The font-exploit does not reset the xbox with an errorcode afaik)

The above would mean that the removal of any exploit-related files on the E-partition would not be the cause of an Error 21.

At the moment I cannot think of any other plausible cause for this behavior.
There is no reason for an Error 21 with an empty E-partition.
A missing default.xbe on the E-partition should not be the cause since the dashboard (actually: update.xbe renamed / updated in case of UXE) WILL load properly. It just does nothing afterwards (hence the black screen)
Update.xbe has no output. It's only purpose is to load a habibi-signed .xbe-file

Since there are no dashboard-related files on the refresh-disc (at least not the one I have) I would think the only cause for an error 21 would be that this disc MIGHT also delete all non-retail files on the C-partition (read: bert (and ernie) font's)
With missing bert (and ernie) fonts the xbox should indeed report Error 21.
Missing fonts - Error 21 (since it refers to it)
Missing default.xbe = blank screen (dash is loaded. there's just nothing for it to do)

I find this:
I try to run an original game but nothing will run. The only thing that will run now is the damned Retailer System Refresh disc that screwed it up in the first place.

VERY, VERY weird.

We all know that a completely empty C-partition should not stop any retail games from booting.
And to the xbox there should be no difference between the refresh-disc and any RETAIL game (do some games refer to dashboard files perhaps??)

Can someone confirm to me wether or not Mech Assualt (or Splinter Cell / 007:AUF) will boot with an 'empty' C-partition?

To conclude my theory:

One of the following could be the cause for this behaviour:

- The refresh-disc removed non-retail files from the C-partition.
- You did something you are not aware of.
- I am wrong with my statement of the black screen with missing default.xbe on E-partition.

The third option sounds implausible.
A succesfull boot of the exploited fonts would mean only habbibi signed .xbe's would be loaded. This could be the reason for retail games not working but would also mean the refresh-disc should not work (signature mismatch would be uniform to all ms-signed (retail) software)
This would also only be reasonable when the dash is started first, does not find any default.xbe and AFTER that you would place a retail disc.

The first option also does not sound plausible to me.
The Refresh-disc is not aware of newer dashboard-related files (and therefor should also not verify filesizes)
In the very, very unlikely case that it did remove non-dashboard related files (fonts) it still should not stop retail games from booting.

So my final statement (finally  rolleyes.gif ) :

I think you're misstaken. I find it more probable that you did something wrong yourself (obviously unware of that) or drew a wrong conclusion somewhere.

Completely wiping both the C and E-partition would still boot retail discs.
Maybe you tried to boot a game which refers to dashboard files (are there any??)

eh.

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (The_Truth @ Oct 29 2004, 05:29 PM)
@eh.: do you know how we could find out about XBOX-DVD specs(bitsetting, so on so forth... so we can change the media type to that)... all the good info.. it is way too far over my head... i mean i love all this stuff.. but i dont even know where to start looking! (hopefully one day i may actually help WRITE the exploits)... oh.. another oddity...lmao... i burned the new version of xebian to dvd+r($1.10!!!!!), got one of the thompson drives.. i burned a dvd video to the same brand disk... same settings and all.. the dvd video works(before my xbox was softmodded, and still does)... but the xebian disk... isnt recognized... any ideas? or better yet... how to install it from hard drive to hard drive..lol...(no disk wasted!)

This refresh disk... sounds really good for cleaning up after a softmod uninstall(if it wipes E and cache... then it deletes all programs... combined with ltools.. it would be great... possibly build a gamesave hack with it inside?(just a random little thought) biggrin.gif

Sorry but I don't know anything about the physical aspects of DVD media settings. Judging by some of the posts in this forum when SWBF and HULK were being analysed, there were members that did though.  I'm also no use to you regarding the xebian, hopefully someone else can assist with that too eh.

That refresh disc sure is unusual and might prove to be useful (I suspect what it does could be scripted in a hack though) eh. uhh.gif

The_Truth

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 10:20:00 PM »

well... that is the next thing(other than building UXE) *has he already built UXE?, havent checked "the place" in a while* that ldots needs to add... that way, ANY xbox can be restored to a clean state... no worry about removing leftovers from programs... xbmc,surreal,or linux for that matter! then it truely would be Uber... laugh.gif

eh.

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »

@RolfLobker: great post!  I can provide feedback on some parts of it eh...

I believe the non-existance of a default.xbe on the E-partition in this case would result in a black screen (no info displayed what so ever) and red flashing power led.
I've just performed a simple test on my 1.0; to simulate the situation I renamed default.xbe and it totally fragged upon reboot ... literally flashing red and green; Xbox requires service screen (which doesn't have an error number as my kernels 3944) eh! ohmy.gif

We all know that a completely empty C-partition should not stop any retail games from booting.
I suspect most didn't know that eh. jester.gif

Can someone confirm to me wether or not Mech Assualt (or Splinter Cell / 007:AUF) will boot with an 'empty' C-partition?
Some time ago I wondered if that was the case and tried it with MechAssault ... wacko.gif ... it booted (phew!) eh.

Maybe you tried to boot a game which refers to dashboard files (are there any??)
Maybe it was trying to update the dash upon boot (using dashupdate.xbe) like some do eh? uhh.gif

triggernum5

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »

Regarding the error 21, is the clock set?  Although UDE doesn't suffer from the clock loop, some games will try to load the dash when booting from dvd if the clock is unset.. IIRC this yeilds 21 not 16..

eh.

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2004, 08:29:00 AM »

@DarkJedi664: this thread's about a different disc (and its .nfo etc. is on the first page) eh. wink.gif

[]V[]nm6687

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 02:08:00 PM »

Ok, to let everyone know, this default.xbe file was only 200KB.  I'm guessing that all it does is delete shit.  i still haven't examined the contents of the hdd in ltools, but i'm guessing i'll find all *retail* files on the C partition even though most might not be truley retail since this xbe obviously isn't big enough to have stuff packed into it.  but anyways, the only thing that makes sense to me is that all original xbox games look for UDATA/TDATA on launch, and if they're not there then they fuck up.  The refresh disc doesn't look for those files or require them to launch, it just deletes them.  i'm going to see if this is the case sometime tomarrow and i'm almost positive it is.  here is my conclusion:

-refresh disc fucked up C so exploit wouldn't boot anyways (didn't rebuild, just renamed and acted retarded b/c they give these discs to places like blockbuster for nonhacked xboxes)

-refresh disc wiped out E drive and fuckd that up too somehow deleting UDATA and TDATA folders, thus not allowing any original to be launched.

yes, an xbox can boot an original with an enpty C drive, but cannot boot an original without an E drive.  i'm guessing an xbox can bood to the ms dash with an empty E, but cannot boot the ms dash without the correct files in it.

triggernum5

• Archived User
Xbox Refresh Disc
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »

I'll throw support at the idea about the missing e: heirarchy..  No retail game will run at all off the dvd if there is absolutely no free space on e:..
Pages: 1 [2] 3