xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: The “Über Xbe Exploit” Aka Uxe  (Read 1772 times)

Agent Orange

• Archived User
The “Über Xbe Exploit” Aka Uxe
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »

Great work...

as for the people saying not to release it yet, take a chill pill. It takes weeks once they finish a game to actually produce the CD's, and distribute them.

retrohead

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2004, 10:09:00 AM »

You guys all know that everyone that owns an xbox is gonna want Halo 2 right?(can't say i'm laying eggs for it myself but anyway). If M$ was gonna wipe out exploits with a game then i am sure that they would use Halo2 as it would reach the widest audience.

Not everyone uses xbox live so if i worked for M$ i would be looking for a Halo2 'fix' over a live 'fix'. 75% of people i know with an xbox dont even have an internet connection so this means:

(1) Live updates do not effect these people
(2) You will not get these peoples comments posted as they have no means of accessing xbox-scene.

That said i think the exploit should be released for bug testing so a world wide testing session could take place to test all models of xbox. This would take until Halo2 is released to check every eventuality anyway, surely?

I am sure that if Halo2 installs a new dash, the xbe could be edited to not install the dash or someone would get round it. There are some clever buggers out there you know  wink.gif

What would really fuck us up would be if Halo 2 works with a new dash ONLY, which of course is impossible as the disc would boot via the bios. Or is it? Could Halo2 check the dash files before it loads?

Who hates speculation?

Speculate to accumulate anyone? (in this case accumulating useless information)

Final Verdict: Good work, will save me installing FREEX to get config magic running for UDE. BETA Release it ASAP  cool.gif

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »

Well, if MS wanted to update xbox's to kill softmods they will. This UXE is based around UDE. It's the exact type of exploit just with a different bootstrap that will work with all regions and kernels. There is nothing we can do to prevent MS from killing UXE or UDE for that matter. The exploit will be publically released in due time. There are some tests that are still being done to make sure all is good before public gets access to it. Everything is working great on my end however. wink.gif

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2004, 11:01:00 AM »

i personally think it would have been done by now if they were that bothered, i don't think they are willing to change their ways for four percent (i think) of xbox modders.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2004, 11:18:00 AM »

I'm sure they wanna kill exploits but they also don't wanna kill xboxes. Like angerwound said it's just a variaton on the UDE. It has nothing to do with halo 2.

BluhDeBluh

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »

Hmm... MS could literally force an upgrade if they wanted. Presuming they know what the new bootstrap is, they could detect both the old UDE1/2 and new bootstraps and automatically overwrite the dash and fonts files with the newer MS supplied ones disguising it as a regular dashboard update. Unlikely, but not impossible...

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2004, 11:31:00 AM »

yeah they could have done that since the first font exploit came out.

BluhDeBluh

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (krayzie @ Sep 29 2004, 06:58 PM)
yeah they could have done that since the first font exploit came out.

Mmmm. I guess so. This would have meant upgrading the older MS dashes, which are usually there for a legitimate reason, rather than the normal UDE1/2 bootstraps which usually are there for... well... UDE1/2.

It is worth noting that MS have steadily ramped up their attempts to get rid of the exploits over time, as they have steadily improved. Audio exploit was removed at the first reason MS had a chance to upgrade the dashboard. They killed dash downgrading in the kernel in an attempt to kill the old font exploits on new 'boxes. They've attempted to kill the gamesave exploits by fixing the overflow on rereleases whether on DVD form or via Live! (see MechAssault).

Halo 2 is the only recent likely candidate if they were gonna do this. For forced dash upgrade fanciness like this it would have to be a MS published title.

That said, it is unlikely MS would do this.... but not impossible.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »

We'll just have to sit and wait to see what happens.

EthanHunt_IMF

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2004, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (BluhDeBluh @ Sep 29 2004, 01:16 PM)
Halo 2 is the only recent likely candidate if they were gonna do this. For forced dash upgrade fanciness like this it would have to be a MS published title.

MS doesn't have to publish the title for it to force a dash upgrade or even a have a dash version check.  Since all titles have to go through them for certification they could add this as a requirement for passing certification.

John Hoek

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (yodanut @ Sep 29 2004, 03:23 PM)
I think the idea that this exploit should be delayed until after Halo 2 is well founded, particularly in light of the Star Wars disc incident. It's one thing for MS to update the dash via your online service whenever you try to log on to Xbox Live, but if they were to place an executable on the disc that automatically launches whenever you try to run the game and upgrades your dashboard to a non-exploitable version it would be quite a problem. The former scenario allows us to play Halo 2 in some fashion and retain our exploits, the latter doesn't. If they wanted to they could kill all the exploits available now with their most anticipated release on Nov 9. Shouldn't we keep something underneath our sleeves until then?

Of course, this assumes that this exploit is different enough from those available thus far that this actually makes a difference. I don't know that.

And BTW, though MS may recognize that exploiters are the smallest group in the Xbox mod-scene community, they probably recognize that they're the easiest to get rid of and patch up. I wouldn't put anything past them.

That was just my opinion too!

This few weeks from now make no differance at all.
And YES, I BELIEVE STRONGLY THAT MS CAN DELAY HALO2 IF NESSESARY!!!

We all know Halflive 2, Doom 2, Black&White etc.  Those and other games were delayed at the last moment. So don't ever think MS never delayes it! Hense, they even did that with Servicepack 2 for WindowsXP!!!!!

So give it a patient time now, and wait for it.
Otherwise we GET A REAL CHANGE THAT MS CHNAGES HALO 2 IN SUCH A WAY THAT A FORCED DASHBORD-UPDATE IS DONE FROM THE DVD ITSELF!

We keep the pleasure for it the next months. otherwise we'll be screwed almost instantly.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2004, 01:23:00 PM »

this exploit is just like the regular UDE exploits only compatible for all regions and all kernels. It has absolutely no use to wait for halo2 since it would be killed anyway if they do their rumoured supetrick based on the known exploits.

patto

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »

by now everyone has heard of 'November 9th' but who remembers the dates for those other big games
just shows there is no way M$ will delay halo 2, but then again....

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2004, 02:42:00 PM »

I'd bet that you will see H2 on 11/09..  Putting it off would only cost them a hell of alot of money, and it would just delay any head butting with hackers..  Delaying SP2 is probably an entirely different kind of story..  Its ass covering on their part..  I doubt softmodders will start up a class action suit because Halo2 didn't upgrade their dash effectively enough..smile.gif

RiceCake

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »

Please keep this exploit related people.

Besides the way MS will most likely patch the dashboard, it'll eliminate the exploit, even if its released after stupid Halo 2.

Either way devz3ro or Pedro's, just wondering if you could use any testing help. I'm interesting to see what you used, how you figured it out, etc...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24