xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Warning: Star Wars Trilogy Dvd Extras Disc  (Read 1071 times)

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
Warning: Star Wars Trilogy Dvd Extras Disc
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »

depends on your dvd drive

check cd freaks, after dawn and definatly do a few googles.

jimmsta

• Recovered User
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »

Well... I'll follow this thread...

grillo2k4 has a good idea... but we'll need an xbe that hasn't been read off an xbox in order for his idea to work, seeing as the key will be removed.

What we need is a dvd emulator, really... the ability to read xbox dvds at this point in time would be a great feature to add to, say... craxion... imagine 1:1 copies of games... oh wait, that's illegal... ugh. and so the battle continues, whilst exploring the possibilities...

Back in the early days of CXBX, I brought up this exact question -- could there be an xbox dvd emulator, or a reader that interpreted the dvd data... obviously, nothing came of this, and we have gotten up to the point where games are now being put on UDF partitions of DVD's. Perhaps there is little mystery to the xbox dvd format, and we're just overlooking the obvious. Perhaps an xbox dvd is actually readable in ANY dvd drive, and we've just missed the key.

This is all speculation, so don't go calling it factual. I'm an observer that compiles information, and attempts to simplify, or regurgatate in the most... easy way.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »

I just started to read this thread since I stopped last night and it grew like 7 pages in the meantime so excuse me if I don't say something helpfull but don't dual layer dvd's have other media stamps then regular dvd's? And isn't the starwars disc flagged for dual layers?

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2004, 10:43:00 PM »

it's written inside out, isnt?

i might be missing somthing... but that and the media ids, i think thats the problem...

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (krayzie @ Sep 22 2004, 09:45 PM)
don't dual layer dvd's have other media stamps then regular dvd's? And isn't the starwars disc flagged for dual layers?

but the xbe is flagged for BOTH dual and single layered disks...

jimmsta

• Recovered User
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »

afaik, yes, the xbox dvd is written backwards... err.. inside out. As that, I'm surprised that no one has attempted to make a program to reverse the reading of the disc... instead of reading from the first sector, read from the last to the first... I'm sure something like this would work... too bad i suck at programming. ;(

I must also add that the problem with this is that the xbox dvd has a few sectors that contain a simple movie that states the xbox dvd cannot be played in a PC.
UGH.
I farking hate M$....

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2004, 10:47:00 PM »

whouldnt that require some special drivers?

jimmsta

• Recovered User
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »

I don't know. I suppose perhaps an emulation driver, which forced whatever drive you had the dvd in, to switch to some sort of RAW data reading mode... tell the drive to fsck itself when it tried to read data that "wasn't" there.... I think it's doable.

So, I'll go to sleep now, and tommorow, I'll attempt to write up a theoretical paper that may be the key to such a driver/program that can read xbox dvd's in their natural xbox-readable form.... Cya tommorow. Good luck to everyone!

patto

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2004, 11:34:00 PM »

i'm sure you'll get far..

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2004, 11:47:00 PM »

well, i found some good info on the DVD-ROM book type thing...
http://www.dvdplusrw...=0&sid=2&aid=44

however, it doesn't look like i can change the book type with my Pioneer 106d.  i normally use RecordNow.  i didn't see anything when looking at the disc properties that would allow me to change it on a particular disc.  same thing with nero 6.0.0.15.  dvdbitsetter wouldn't work with my Pioneer burner.  i'm hoping someone will tell me i'm wrong and that i can do this with my burner

i made 2 more test discs and still got the invalid media type error.  here's a wrap-up:

disc1:  made on DVD-R; UDF filesystem; got invalid media error
disc2:  made on DVD-R; FATX filesystem (gdfimage); got invalid media error
disc3:  made on DVD+R; UDF filesystem; got invalid media error

suggestions?

Sord_Fish

• Archived User
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2004, 11:55:00 PM »

dry.gif  i have the 106 aswell i found nothing, shame.

if you going to do copies dont bother with fatx as it a bog standard dvd video al a UDF.
it will have to be a dvd video standard to boot.

in nero make a dvd-video and drag n drop the files over, you may need vobs as well witch will need decrypting
if that fails we need some one with the dvd and a bitsetting compatible drive.

eh.

• Archived User
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2004, 12:16:00 AM »

QUOTE (Kthulu @ Sep 22 2004, 08:18 PM)
i just checked and the 2nd disc of The Hulk (the dvd movie) does indeed have a default.xbe sitting on a UDF formatted disc.  so, whatever possibilities are opened here, they've actually be sitting there waiting for us for a long time smile.gif

here are the contents on The Hulk (dvd movie disc 2)

default.xbe...size=124,624kb
\xboxdash\
...default.xip...1509kb
...dvd.xip...164kb
...jkeyboard.xip...716kb
...keyboard.xip...643kb
...message.xip...783kb
...settings3.xip...2743kb
...settings_clock.xip...1645kb
...settings_language.xip...1397kb
...settings_list.xip...2861kb
...settings_panel.xip...2669kb
...settings_parental.xip...985kb
...settings_timezone.xip...1340kb
...settings_video.xip...1932kb
...xboxdash.xbe...1532kb

comparing to my 'backups' of the 4034, 4920, and 5960 dashes, this is neither...
it would seem like the stuff on Hulk has a greater possibility for exploitation since it's older, but perhaps wouldn't work on boxes where kernel >= 5713

That's a subset of 4920, without the Memory and Music functionality.  Presumably it wouldn't have an XBL frontend either, since the xodash folder's also absent eh.

Sord_Fish

• Archived User
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2004, 12:22:00 AM »

also does hulk put anything in x y z?

eh.

• Archived User
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2004, 12:39:00 AM »

QUOTE (Sord_Fish @ Sep 23 2004, 12:25 AM)
also does hulk put anything in x y z?

joedodgy

• Archived User
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2004, 02:15:00 AM »

i have one of those PC samsung dvd drives converted running the xbox sdg605 firmware or whatever and the tray motor reversed.. this does not mean i can read xbox dvds, nor will using any kind of clonecd/*insert your burner proggie here* enable me to read the disc? why? because those programs use standard atapi commands for retreiving the TOC information (size of disc, contents etc).. and as you know, there is a real TOC on an xbox disc which has the trailer for the "please insert this disc in your xbox stupid" movie.. :P

now, trying to force the drive to read past an area on the disc which, according to the TOC response, doesn't exist - is of course going to lock up whatever applications you're using to do it..

there are (probably) extra commands implemented in the firmware for the XBOX dvd drives for retreiving the real TOC which relies on a challenge/response type setup to work.. there were some threads on the xboxhacker forum ages ago relating to what people were trying with test commands.. sending a standard dvd drive an atapi command, checking response, sending an xbox dvd drive running in a computer and sending the same command - yet getting a different response from the drive etc..

as for these default xbe's running from udf pressed discs.. the xbe would still be signed for retail xboxs, plus it would have matching media flags.. as the mediaflag cant be changed without screwing the signature.. well ermm yeah.. i agree its interesting, but its hardly a shock that this can be done when an xbe is specifically signed for this purpose..
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14