xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Ude2 Guide To Kernels 3944 - 5838  (Read 1083 times)

enigmata

• Archived User
Ude2 Guide To Kernels 3944 - 5838
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2004, 11:00:00 PM »

Just a quick clarification - update.xbe gets renamed to xboxdash.xbe? The tutorial wasn't clear on where the xboxdash.xbe being moved to C came from... thanks.

runawaywarthog

• Archived User
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

hmmm.... i have xbl and i had it updated used to play it all the time. then i learned about softmodding! so i softmodded my xbox just usin whatever with my updated dash (auf exploit) this means i cant run this and play xbl anymore?

Porkchop Sandwhiche

• Archived User
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »

Nevermind, I got it to work. I kinda had to figure it out on my own. Changing the fonts folder to f0nts wasn't working, so I just changed all the xbox.xtf and xboxbook.xtf extensions to xft. I had xbox.xtf and xbox book.xtf in the fonts folder and the root of C. After I did that, I added bert-ate-ernie-5101-01.xtf to the fonts folder and the root of C. My problem now is, how am I going to link evox to the ms dashboard? I already linked it in the evox.ini, and I tried going with hackman hex editor and changing all the instances of xtf to xft. That didn't work. I keep getting error 21, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!  

This post has been edited by Porkchop Sandwhiche: Nov 2 2004, 06:36 AM

runawaywarthog

• Archived User
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

smile.gif anyways i think i might try this then see how things turn out

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2004, 04:47:00 PM »

I just bought my Crystal xbox yesterday and it is a 1.6 Xbox manufactured in Auguest this year so it has a kernel of 5838. I looked inside to see if it's not a 1.6B and it has the yellow front panel power/eject cable.

When I bought my Mechassult game it was Pre0wned though the disk looks new to me. It was £14.99. On your instructions you say "7. Original copy of Mech Assault (Not Platinum or Game of the Year version)"

I can't see platinum or game of the year written anywere. Is it? Or do I have to tell by a number? Could anyone guide me, I tried the MechassaultwithEvox.rar save (extracted it of course).

I then sent it to my modded xbox then booted into m$ dashboard and copied the save to the memory card (it just had the X logo is that alright?) then I put my 8MB third party memory card in my crystal (copied save to HD) booted up mechassult, Load Linux appeard but it just says "Unable to load <Run Linux> Press A to continue. So I assume I have the new version? If so I think ill get a chip.  

Evil6six6

• Archived User
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2004, 03:20:00 AM »

This hack rocks!!!! just succesfully modded my first xbox! Only one problem i'm running into, in game reboot?!?! I changed the settings in Evox to igr = yes but still no luck... any tips on this? Other than that works great! was such a thrill seeing the evox dashboard when I rebooted! Will this work for older xbox's ie. 1.1-1.5? BTW I used the update.xbe from the VBOX to patch instead of slayers' and found no problems. Thanks alot!!!!!! :beer:  

kinbit

• Archived User
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »

Hello. I followed this tutorial (using hotswap, and patching my original dashboard). At the end I was able to boot to EvoX and also have a working MS dashboard. I have kernel 5838 and dashboard 5960.

THE PROBLEM comes when I try to run a game (even original games). I always get an "error 21" page that says I need assistance.

I thought I needed to sign default.xbe with habibi so I tried (I even signed evoxdash.xbe and xboxdash.xbe) with no luck.

ANY IDEAS? Does this have to do with using my original dashboard instead of the one inside Slayer ISO? BTW congratulations to this community, thanks to you I was able to learn the basics about xbox modding in a couple of days.  :beer:

NiXboXiT

• Archived User
« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2004, 01:52:00 AM »

Thanks Scrupul0us’s for this excellent UDE2 guide... it was a huge help for me and many others I’m sure.  I would like to share my experience after having now soft modded 4 boxes based on your tutorial. Hopefully this will help someone.

Since I was actually adding new HD’s at the same time I was doing the soft-mod, I found it easier to arrange the “hack”, prepare the new HD (create the drive partitions and format them) using xboxhdm and add the new dashboards all on my PC. Then I just cold swap the HD’s, thus preserving the virgin state of the stock HD.

In my variation of your technique I combined some steps, did some in a different order and was able to omit some others too

I start with unpacking xboxhdm to my PC and I do all my file manipulation in the unpacked file structure prior to moving the files to the HD. This is a good time to read the How To text files on xboxhdm and get familiar. It’s a short read.

Then I use the Mech Assault hack, which was easy with an Action Replay card (starting with step #7 from your tutorial) to gain FTP access to the xbox.

I FTP the C and E drives from the xbox (step #14) to the C and E folders under the linux folder of the unpacked xboxhdm and move the eeprom.bin file to the eeprom directory in the linux folder.

In the C folder I rename xboxdash.xbe to org-xboxdash.xbe and hex edit it here (step #68). Then patch the original update.xbe from xodash with the UpdateXBE util, saving the patched xboxdash.xbe file to the C folder (step #24).

I rename the fonts folder, add the new fonts folder and the required font files as you describe as well as move the PBL_MeeToo files to the E folder (Steps #41-46).

I extract the Evox files as you describe (step #67), but to the C folder, and edit the .ini at this point so that MSDashBoard = org_xboxdash.xbe.

Next in the E folder I create an Apps folder and an avalaunch folder under that and unpack the avalaunch binary there.

Now I follow the xboxhdm instructions to create my .iso file and burn my boot CD which contains all the utils needed to set up the new drive and all the files I want on it.

I power down the PC, take out all my HD’s and place the new HD to be formatted for the xbox on the primary cable by itself.

I then boot from the CD and choose the first menu option: “1) Boot VGA console with xbox-drive utilities (default)”
At the next menu, I select option: “1) Build a new Xbox HD from scratch” which will lead you through the creation of your new partitions and formatting them as well as copying the backed up C and E folders as well as the new F folder to the new coresponding drive partitions. This will include all previous save games from the stock HD, the new soft-mod and dashboards (evox and avalaunch).

Now I reboot from the CD to get back to the first menu and and choose option: “3) Boot linux with locking/unlocking utilities”

I give the “lockhd –a” command which grabs the info from my eeprom.bin and automatically generates the new password to lock the new HD. I write it down just in case and confirm the action.

That’s it! Now just swap your old xbox HD for your new one and put your PC back together if all went well. Worked smoothly for me four out of four times… your mileage may vary!

:beer:  

Porkchop Sandwhiche

• Archived User
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2004, 01:27:00 AM »

ok, I have tried UDE and UDE for this v1.1 kernel 4034 xbox. I cannot figure what is wrong with it. the update.xbe from the uodash folder on the xbox is completely updated. I've tried everything when it comes to putting the bert and ernie files in the fonts and root of C. I have no idea what to do, can someone please help, thanks

fn0000rd

• Archived User
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2005, 07:11:00 PM »

Am I the only one who noticed this?

44. Go to DIRECTORY X and move xboxdash.xbe to the C folder of Xbox.

At no point previous to this has there been a mention of putting an xboxdash.xbe into the X folder., nor is there mention of any xboxdash.exe other than the original one which gets renamed/backed up on the xbox.

I followed the directions, using the xboxdash.xbe from ude2-complete-v.01, the one with updatefonts61, since I have a 5101 kernel.

At this point, I can no longer boot. I can't FTP, can't telnet, and I'm wondering how I can possibly recover from here...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
fnord

fn0000rd

• Archived User
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »

OK, well, it turns out that I can boot with pretty much any game but Splinter Cell in the drive, which is the game I used to hack in.

I guess there's some way to read the drive in Linux, I'll have to figure out how to read the filesystem with my Fedora box, I guess, or rawrite a boot floppy.

Oh, and find a floppy drive....

thanks,
fnord

acura90integra

• Archived User
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2005, 10:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(kinbit @ Nov 30 2004, 07:46 PM)
Hello. I followed this tutorial (using hotswap, and patching my original dashboard). At the end I was able to boot to EvoX and also have a working MS dashboard. I have kernel 5838 and dashboard 5960.

THE PROBLEM comes when I try to run a game (even original games). I always get an "error 21" page that says I need assistance.

I thought I needed to sign default.xbe with habibi so I tried (I even signed evoxdash.xbe and xboxdash.xbe) with no luck.

ANY IDEAS? Does this have to do with using my original dashboard instead of the one inside Slayer ISO? BTW congratulations to this community, thanks to you I was able to learn the basics about xbox modding in a couple of days.  :beer:

i have the same problem did u ever fix this?

when I try to run a game (even original games). I always get an "error 21" page that says I need assistance.

everthing else works evox , and i Can go to my ms dashboard. but when i put a game in and hit Launch DVD from evox i get error 21 and when i put a game and power down and then turn it on to boot from it i get error 21. how can i play my games then?

jcupp114

• Archived User
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »

Porkchop Sandwhiche
I believe that you need to hex to get you new f0nts (from the original fonts) to let evox and ms dashboard converse.

Good luck

Jcupp114

acura90integra

• Archived User
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(kinbit @ Nov 30 2004, 07:46 PM)

ANY IDEAS? Does this have to do with using my original dashboard instead of the one inside Slayer ISO? BTW congratulations to this community, thanks to you I was able to learn the basics about xbox modding in a couple of days.  

i have the same problem did u ever fix this?

when I try to run a game (even original games). I always get an "error 21" page that says I need assistance.

everthing else works evox , and i Can go to my ms dashboard. but when i put a game in and hit Launch DVD from evox i get error 21 and when i put a game and power down and then turn it on to boot from it i get error 21. how can i play my games then?

anybody????

This post has been edited by acura90integra: Jan 12 2005, 03:35 AM

Shiyat

• Archived User
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2005, 04:07:00 AM »

The Update XBe patcher doesn't work.. says 'failed to initialize' and crashes..
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13