xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 98

Author Topic: Xboxhdm For Dummies  (Read 29056 times)

ldots

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2004, 01:09:00 AM »

I see, well unfortunately the reboot to enter the linux locking tools is currently nessecary because the locking tools only work on a 2.6 linux kernel. This kernel version has buggy fatx drivers (from xbox-linux) while the 2.4 kernel fatx drivers are stable.

Hopefully in the near future the xbox-linux team will work on the fatx support in the 2.6 kernel.

Jack Cheese

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2004, 02:16:00 AM »

My bios is now fully up to date and finally I have a new IDE option. I can set the hdd to boot or non-boot. Could non-boot help with bypassing the xboxhdd frozen state?

ldots

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2004, 02:31:00 AM »

Maybe. I dont see how trying it could hurt. You can always reboot and revert your settings. Once bootet run detectpm to display the status of the drive.

An observation on my PC (Compaq) was that before I found that I could bypass the freeze lock by disabling auto-detection, I could switch the drive to primary slave and it would boot without setting freeze lock. For locking this is OK since we dont need to access the fatx filesystem. Using the linux locking tools for this you need to run the actual locking tool manually (lockhd is a script wrapped around the actual locking tool for user-friendlyness). If on primary slave run :
CODE
find-cd2 check  (to mount the xboxhdm CD)
hdtool -d /dev/hdb -e /CD/eeprom/eeprom.bin -o LOCK

Jack Cheese

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2004, 03:09:00 AM »

Post Deleted

Jack Cheese

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2004, 12:46:00 PM »

Well..thanks to all who took the time out to help me over the last few days, but I've been unsuccessful in restoring the lock for the xbox hard drive. Even attempting manual locking on p.slave did nothing.

I might try some xbox soft modding in the future, but I don't know if I'll ever go near xboxhdm again with my current computer, well unless the reboot drawback with switching to and from fatx-linux isn't a problem anymore. I just don't have the money to upgrade right now so I'm stuck.

ldots

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »

Please remember this is not xboxhdm specific. It's not related to xboxhdm at all, but your strange PC Bios.
All previous locking/unlocking tools were for DOS. If you wanted to upgrade/edit/clone your xbox HDD under windows you would also have to unlock in DOS and then reboot to windows to access the drive.

Hopefully in the near future the fatx driver for the 2.6 linux kernel will be stable enough to allow xboxhdm to skip the reboot.

gronne

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »

Seems like Compaq's are the bottlenecks. I used xboxhdm on an old compaq 7EL7000T I've got. It's a bit more than 3 years old.

ldots: It didn't work for me either with p.slave....  

Jack Cheese: How did you find new drivers to the bios? I CAN'T find it. I don't even know what bios I've got and where to find out. It doesn't say in the bios itself. If anyone knows how to find the bios on the mainboard I can probably see from there.

ipodder2003

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

My Compaq didn't work worth crap when I did my xboxhdm mod.   I had to yank out the old computer I built, and then to find out I had a corrupted eeprom.  It's not usually xboxhdm guys, just check the other possibilities too.

ldots

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

I have a Compaq too. So not all Compaq's have stupid bioses.

ipodder2003

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »

QUOTE (ldots @ Aug 2 2004, 02:01 PM)
I have a Compaq too. So not all Compaq's have stupid bioses.

Hmm... just out of curiosity, how old is yours, ldots?

Jack Cheese

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »

Actually, I'm not blaming xboxhdm (especially since now i know the reboot drawback couldn't be helped), it's just as long as I have this computer I can't play around with any hard drives intended for use in xbox..it'll just end up in the same frozen state.

I have a Compaq 7000US bios 786k1.  

If you're using a Compaq go here

At the bottom it'll ask for your product number type the brand and series number. On the next page click software and driver downloads in the list.

After you select the OS you're using on the following page, the next page will be software and driver downloads.. you'll see a list. Scroll down to where it says RomPaq. Don't attempt to do anything after you locate this section, you must know your bios number before proceeding.

Try 'Tune Up Utilities' and it should be able to tell you what bios you have, or look on the sys board, mine had a little sticker on the bottom right area with just the bios number.

Don't get your hopes up though, chances are the hdd will still be frozen after a full upgrade in bios, and after another 20 or so minutes fiddling around in linux lock/unlock hoping something will work.

gronne

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »

sad.gif  This is insane... I plugged in the old pc's hdd to reach windows to check what bios I had. And would you believe it, it's broken... I have no idea if it's possible to fix it. didn't matter what ide I put it on, and it didn't matter what jumper I switch. It fails to recognize it.

I'm doing this for free for my friend but yet I haven't upgraded his drive, and mine got broken...

I doubt it had anything to do with xboxhdm, it just snapped. I didn't do anything wrong with it at all. I'm going NUTS on this shit. I had very important files on that drive. FUCK!!!

Someone hang Compaq, please.

Jack Cheese

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

As long as the hard drive itself isn't damaged, your files are salvageable. You just need a new board now.

Jack Cheese

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »

*deleted- double post, damn page crash

gronne

• Archived User
Xboxhdm For Dummies
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2004, 01:59:00 PM »

But the computer can't get any contact with the drive. Is it really possible to recover the files then? And how?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 98