xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: UDE/5713+  (Read 2424 times)

PedrosPad

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2004, 07:28:00 AM »

QUOTE (ldots @ Jul 13 2004, 04:11 PM)
I simply thought of doing a simple linux script using xbedump to search all xbe's for the XBE_MEDIA_HDD flag. Would still be automatic - as in run the default.xbe (bootloader) and afterwards ftp out the log-file.

That'd be ace. biggrin.gif

PedrosPad

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2004, 07:35:00 AM »

Finally, the post I started this thread to post. biggrin.gif

Having backup up everything and taken every precaution, I have actually executed XTMAXBOX.xbe on my modded XBOX, networked to my PC with Ethereal (a Network Protocol Analyzer) running.

All that appeared to happened was that I was returned to the Evox Dashboard. sad.gif
I was hoping that ethereal would catch a DNS lookup or IP address but no, sad.gif
ethereal did actually catch a network ARC broadcast message that was sent - so I believe the XBE did run smile.gif. I'm working on the limits of my knowledge here, but the network ARC broadcast message appears to be a "Hey! I'm here"/network enrolment message.  The regular Dashboard's send these too.

I theorized that this quick-exit behavior was caused by the XBE failing to find a configuration file, and exiting.  And since it didn't try to contact any kind of server, I suspected that the DNS server/server IP address would be in that file.

I've now disassembled the file and started looking in to it.  From my interpretation of the disassembly, it appears that the program first checks the Kernel version - to ensure that it's one supported by the XTMA program (the XTMAXBOX.xbe I've got only appears to support up to K:5101 sad.gif ), then does indeed go on to look for a configuration file, one named XTMA.INI.  What's particularly interesting is that it appears to not look for this file on the HDD, but on a memory card!.  I can speculate why this might be.  I can imagine the manufacturing line operators plugging in different memcards into different XBOXs to ensure that localized copies of the operating software are sucked down from appropriate servers, etc.

Obviously we don't have a copy of this XTMA.INI file, but I'm currently trying to rebuild one from looking at how the XBE processes it.  It appears to be a text based name/value pair INI file - like a traditional Windows one.

What's potentially neat about this is, if my speculation above is correct, the XTMA.INI file can't be a signed file, and therefore the first candidate for modification and overflow investigation. smile.gif

More news as it breaks...

[]V[]nm6687

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2004, 09:22:00 AM »

the default.xbe file in the mechassault Tdata folder is the actual game xbe right? the internal xbe name is MechAssault.  and since this file is signed to run from the HD and also after the valid downgrade date, can't you really put the whole game on the HD and launch it as xboxdash.xbe or something like that and just go on with your savegame hack? that'd be quicker than loading up the game for a savegame hack everytime.  i dont know, this is just a thought that crossed my mind.

Tomilius

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2004, 09:35:00 AM »

I'm a noob, watch me be a noob in 7 colors.

And hold on.

... Okay, I still don't know what TDATA folder you're talking about. I thought maybe you meant on the DVD itself but nope.

If you mean the gamesave (which is in the UDATA folder) that default.xbe isn't MechAssault ...

krayzie

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »

I tried to figure out what he meant also. Put the whole game on the hd? That would ofcourse definately be a no-go. Run the xbe file from the save folder? Does the MA save even contain xbe files? don't you mean the evox xbe files or something??

[]V[]nm6687

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2004, 10:00:00 AM »

look at pedrospad's first post, he shows where both TDATA xbe's are.  u might not have them if you've never downloaded content from xbox live using mechassault.  this is what disables the gamesave from working i think too, but that's not the point.  anyways, i dont have the original MA game, but i would definately like to compare the default.xbe's and see if it is the actual MA exectuable.  if it is, then you could put all the media from the dvd onto the hd and launch it b/c it's hd signed.  and it would launch right away.  just rambling still though...

krayzie

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2004, 10:06:00 AM »

Oh you mean those MA xbe's. I'm sure they are not the same as the game xbe and it would just run some installation stuff for the extra content. They could be usefull however cuz they are supose to run on any xbox and must have a hdd flag.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2004, 10:06:00 AM »

[]V[]nm6687 is talking about MA's /E/TDATA/4d530017/$u/default.xbe from this threads second post, and originally spotted by devz3ro.

Interesting idea []V[]nm6687.  I don't know that the default.xbe is a updated MA game engine - the xbe title may simply mean it's from MA suite of files - and I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.  But if it is, that's a very interesting idea - you could boot into MA, load the save game, and end up at Evox with no ROE! (since ROE isn't set for the boot xbe) biggrin.gif - If I had MA I'd try it.  I'll take a peek into the default.xbe when time allows to find out more.

Edit: Ok the /E/TDATA/4d530017/$u/default.xbe is 3,727,360 bytes - certainly big enough to be an updated game engine I'd have thought - although this updated game engine may have MA's savegame bug fixed  unsure.gif.

Tomilius

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:00 AM »

I'm a noob in 7 colors.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:00 AM »

it may be a n upgraded version

but replaceing it with the one from the disc would probaly cause err21 (due to media flags)

PedrosPad

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »

QUOTE (Tomilius @ Jul 13 2004, 07:14 PM)
What's the file size? In bytes? Even better, MD5 it.

/E/TDATA/4d530017/$u/default.xbe is 3,727,360 bytes - certainly big enough to be an updated game engine I'd have thought.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »

unplug the network and try launching it? (dont want to get banned from live?)

PedrosPad

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2004, 10:19:00 AM »

QUOTE (Chicken Scratch Boy @ Jul 13 2004, 07:14 PM)
it may be a n upgraded version

but replaceing it with the one from the disc would probaly cause err21 (due to media flags)

True, but copying MA's DVD content onto the HDD wouldn't. smile.gif
(Obviously we'd not need all the DVD contents - later levels, etc. could be left out)

Tomilius

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2004, 10:19:00 AM »

QUOTE (PedrosPad @ Jul 13 2004, 12:16 PM)
/E/TDATA/4d530017/$u/default.xbe is 3,727,360 bytes - certainly big enough to be an updated game engine I'd have thought.

For some reason I missed your huge post, PedrosPad. Hmm.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
UDE/5713+
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »

smile.gif

Also if someone want to PM me the "xbedump d:\default.xbe -da >MAretail.txt" - that'd be good. biggrin.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27