xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 59

Author Topic: The “ultimate Dashboard Exploit” Aka Ude  (Read 2750 times)

underthebridge

• Archived User
The “ultimate Dashboard Exploit” Aka Ude
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

This should definitely go on the news page

afon

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »

pedro;
Can you explain how this works? Does dash update just load your chosen XBE, then is the xbe exploited?

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »

QUOTE (afon @ May 23 2004, 01:25 AM)
pedro;
Can you explain how this works? Does dash update just load your chosen XBE, then is the xbe exploited?

QUOTE (PedrosPad @ May 22 2004, 11:20 PM)
The history of the development of this exploit can be read in the, increasingly inaccurately titled, "Working Easter-egg Exploit" thread.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »

If there is a c:\fonts directory but not .xtf files in it, will update.xbe fail? The reason why im asking is because id like to run a modified tHc lite dash that looks for .fnt files in the c:\fonts directory.
I don't think the the update.xbe will fail cuz it can't even find those fonts since the folder is renamed to f0nts. Only the linking to the m$dash (or thcdash) will be a problem if you don't hex edit them in order to find the fonts in the c:/f0nts folder.

Anyway does anyone knows what will happen when the dash gets upgraded (by mistake)?
Great exploit by the way

*EDIT* To my last statement if my theory is correct since the dashupdate checks for the fonts in the fonts folder (and maybe in the root) the dash wouldn't even be upgraded since there wouldn't be a fonts folder and fonts in c: and an error screen would pop up before the upgrading would take place. If this is true it would really be the ULTIMATE exploit with no risk of clock loops and no risk of upgraded dashes.

violent_bong

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »

I don't know what i could possibly be doing wrong, but i cannot get pbl to load, my xbox just stays at the xbox loading screen on boot up. Any suggestions?
K: 3944
D: 4920

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (violent_bong @ May 23 2004, 07:28 AM)
I don't know what i could possibly be doing wrong, but i cannot get pbl to load, my xbox just stays at the xbox loading screen on boot up. Any suggestions?

The update.xbe only loads one font file - that's why Bert had to eat Ernie.
I'd guess too many other font XTF files are present, causing the update.xbe to load the wrong one.  Make sure the C:\fonts folder is renamed, thereby denying access, and the C:\ directory only contains the one bert_ate_ernie.xtf font file.

SilverSurfR

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »

smile.gif

When i try to run config magic, i don't get on the on screen info display.. but it worked before when using the DD exploit.  Is it possible that configmagic uses the font files?  I can still access the settings tab by pressing start to back-up info, lock/unlock hdd etc...

Can someone verify if this is exploit related or did i fubar something on my system.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (Jbob @ May 23 2004, 07:03 AM)
Incredible find (seems amzing nobody thought about the update xbe that way b4 though) but just fu!@#ng incredible

Im so happy u found this props to both of u

as far as Ultimate though -- i dont see it as it doesnt work with 5713 (that would be Ultimate)

I was more pleased with the Update exploit title - seemed far more fitting

BUT who really cares (ITS DAMNED FANTASand i guess theres always the Ultimate dashboard Exploit the 2nd (call it .JR if that happens, like fahter and son) j/k lmao

Fair comment.

Personally, I don't think there'll ever be a Dashboard exploit for Kernel 5713 (that's not to say that there won't be other exploits).  Hence my belief that this will be the “Ultimate Dashboard Exploit” - during the XBOX v1's lifetime.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2004, 10:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (Jbob @ May 23 2004, 07:53 AM)
(did ur testers modify exploited setups)

renamed fonts folder to f0nts folder, erased fonts in c, put in the bert ate ernie font i extracted, and put a signed PBL 1.35i with a bios set to load unleashX from e (but it doesnt even get to PBL so the bios dont really matter)

Are you sure the E:\default.xbe was a habibi signed version of PBL (and not audio signed or font signed - from your previous exploit)?  (Although I'd have thought you'd get the Error 21 screen if it was mis-signed - I'll verify this).

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2004, 11:00:00 PM »

Did you put the bert_ate_ernie file in c: or c:fonts?

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2004, 11:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (SilverSurfR @ May 23 2004, 07:45 AM)
Is it possible that configmagic uses the font files?  I can still access the settings tab by pressing start to back-up info, lock/unlock hdd etc...

Can someone verify if this is exploit related or did i fubar something on my system.

Conceivable.  If so, it may be possible to edit the ConfigMagic xbe to use the new C:\f0nts folder.  (I vaguely recall that the ConfigMagic xbe was compressed so a direct Hex Edit may not be possible – but worth a look – but wasn’t the source code subsequently released?).

If, given its age, ConfigMagic is reaching for 4817 fonts on C:\, and reaching for them by name, it may be possible to restore the Dashboard 4817 fonts into C:\, and rename bert_ate_ernie.xtf to ensure that it’s the first XTF font returned when update.xbe tries to load in it’s one wildcard *.xtf font (this'll take some playing around).

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (SilverSurfR @ May 23 2004, 07:45 AM)
When i try to run config magic, i don't get on the on screen info display.. but it worked before when using the DD exploit.  Is it possible that configmagic uses the font files?  I can still access the settings tab by pressing start to back-up info, lock/unlock hdd etc...

My setup :
K : 5101
D : 4920
No fonts in C:\

C:\fonts\Bert-ate-Ernie

C:\f0nts\Xbox.xtf
C:\f0nts\XBox Book.xtf

ConfigMagic runs fine! Try reinstalling ConfigMagic.

DeadYellowMonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2004, 11:55:00 PM »

Genius.

Only just tried it but got it booting to MXM no problem.

Will now try leaving it unplugged for a while to check for clock loop.

d: 4920
k: 5101

violent_bong

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2004, 12:22:00 AM »

Nope, i have a habbi signed pbl named default.xbe in E. But i will try deleting the unneccessary font files from my C partition.

X_n00b

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (Jbob @ May 23 2004, 09:31 AM)
wonder what could cause the loss of a set clock to allow booting when it wouldnt before (hmmm)

You sure it's not the fact that you switched the machine on with the game already in the drive...?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 59