xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Are All X-box'es Exploit-able?  (Read 167 times)

Buddyroe333

• Archived User
Are All X-box'es Exploit-able?
« on: February 25, 2004, 02:40:00 AM »

Okay... I've looked around the forum and I'm pretty sure what you guys have said is that there isn't a version that can't be hacked with one gamesave or exploit or another, but I want to make sure.  I'm dying to go out and pick up an X-Box, but of course have no idea what version Dashboard I'll get or Kernel it will have, etc.  I just want to make sure before I pick one up that I'll be able to exploit it one way or the other.  I apologize if this question has been asked before and I looked over the post.  Thanks for any help.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 03:08:00 AM »

Yes.

AsTnBoMb

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 04:19:00 PM »

the xbox's with kernel version 5530 cannot be booted up using pbl.

Gus Man

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »

the xbox's with kernel version 5530 cannot be booted up using pbl.

Yet ;-)

species8472

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 07:22:00 PM »

look for manufacture dates of around september.  most of the ones that i've found around that time were using a nice kernel version that will make your life far easier.

Buddyroe333

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 10:59:00 PM »

Thanks for the tip Species, I will see if I can find one around that manufacture date.  Any other tips anyone has for us newbies to look for when buying a XBox?  One other question... so worst case scenerio... I end up with a box that has Kernel 5530, does that mean I can't software-exploit my XBox?  I definately do NOT want anything that has to do with mod-chips or anything, software and work-arounds I don't mind learning, soldering not so much.

species8472

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 02:48:00 AM »

No, you will still be able to do software exploits; however, you won't be able to use phoenix bios loader (yet).  And if you use something like avalaunch, you're gonna have to sign all the xbe's that you want to use.  A friend of mine had a 5530 that he had to do this with, and he ended up just doing a tsop flash he got so fed up with it.  So like i said, just try for something around september and I think you should be fine on your kernel version.

Btw september models usually aren't too hard to find.  I work at a circuit city, and I still see em a lot.  I would watch out for models that are around october to november though.  Seen a few of those with 5530.

This post has been edited by species8472: Feb 26 2004, 10:52 AM

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 05:55:00 AM »

i saw late august xboxes with a 5530 kernel and late november xboxes with a 5101 kernel so there isn't a date that gives you 100 % assurancy. chances of gettin a 5101 kernel are best on xboxes before september. If you manage to get an xbox before august you will certainly be fine.  

t0ken

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 07:42:00 AM »

Just get a refurbished one. I bought a refurbished one for a family member and it was a version 1.0 and that was right before Christmas.

oblox

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 10:46:00 AM »

I've noted a lot of returned x-boxes are being replaced with year old and beyond models