xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is It Dead?  (Read 151 times)

silversting

• Archived User
Is It Dead?
« on: October 02, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »

How do we know if a modchip is dead ??
I have a Matrix modchip which was working just fine until recently.

It all started when I used to boot the xbox I would get error 13 and 14 and then eventually boot into XBMC.  Now I always get the errors and can't boot to HDD nor dvd's.

Today I swapped back in my original XBOX hdd, and it booted just fine to MS Dash, but will only play original games, and give me a bad media dialog box, when I insert a DVD-RW or CD-RW.

The matrix shows me a green light which means all is ok, but I'm starting to doubt that !??!?!  :unsure:

Would it be a good idea to remove the chip and try re-programming it or is this thing dead ???

Thanks Guyz!

Exzir

• Archived User
Is It Dead?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »

The green light is only to show you the d0 is aligned.  It is odd that you are able to boot the ms dash with the mod chip installed and it not be booting from the mod chip.  I would try to realign it and see if that helps.    I would once I get it working again get a bios that will have something other than MS after the flipper to know when it is working and when it is not working.

The cause of the erratic error messages.

If your other hdd does not have ms installed then when the mod chip was misaligned it would boot up tsop and give you that error message.  When the xbox booted up and you get no error message then your mod chip was working.

Please note that some people hit the side of the xbox to get a better connection.  not too hard just a strong tip on the side the matrix is intalled on.(dvd side)

silversting

• Archived User
Is It Dead?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »

If your other hdd does not have ms installed then when the mod chip was misaligned it would boot up tsop and give you that error message. When the xbox booted up and you get no error message then your mod chip was working.

It's what is making me believe the chip was slowly going. Almost as if it kicked in when it wanted.  Now it ain't kicking at all !!!

It is odd that you are able to boot the ms dash with the mod chip installed and it not be booting from the mod chip.

But if the modchip is not working the xbox wouldn't recongize a modchip and boot up in it's regular fashion, therefore booting up the MS-Dash!  Right ??

I'm going to try to re-program the chip see where it gets me!  Keep you guys posted.

silversting

• Archived User
Is It Dead?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

Just to make things clear(er)... here is my hook up.

Matrix with original HDD.
Should -->  Boot to MS-Dash, and play back-up DVD-R discs.
It Does -->  Boots to MS-Dash, and complains about invalid media with DVD-R

Matrix with replacement HDD.
Should --> Boot up to XBMC, and play EVERYTHING !!!  :P
It Does --> Gives erratic dashboard errors, and refuses to boot; even to DVDs.

RCOA ???
- Will probably try to re-program Matrix.

Exzir

• Archived User
Is It Dead?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 03:52:00 AM »

Ok all you have to do is re align the matrix chip.  Just like anything else in electronics corrosion can make the pogo pins not make contact.  Just like those old slot car days when you have top use an eraser to clean the connector becuase the slot car would not work same thing here just much smaler scale.  If moveing it and putting it back on does not work you might just need to clean the lpc with alcohol and or pencil eraser or something that will get the corosion off the stuff.

If you soler you can use flux.

silversting

• Archived User
Is It Dead?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 06:31:00 PM »

Ok all you have to do is re align the matrix chip. Just like anything else in electronics corrosion can make the pogo pins not make contact.

I totally understand that and will give it a shot!  But wouldn't the green light change to red?

Exzir

• Archived User
Is It Dead?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »

Well as far as I nknow the matrix uses the power and then grounds the d0 to make the light green if the d0 is not grounded or connected the red light will be on.  Once the d0 is aligned then typicaly the matrix should work.  But then again it does require all of the lcp points to be in a good connection.

silversting

• Archived User
Is It Dead?
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 09:01:00 PM »

:rotfl: Looking good.

I pressed against the side of the Matrix (man that thing is struck to the motherboard) pushing it ever so slightly to my left... and it booted five times a row.  

I kept the case open incase it still needs more pushing  :D   -- So thanx guys, no re-programming need, just a little shoving and pushing!