xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Hotswapping Tips  (Read 552 times)

n3o

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2003, 11:18:00 PM »

am up to 30 attempts or so now...seems I can't pull it off for some reason...been really careful not to stir the box, to do it fast..but still...am I the only one that can't get the hotswap working?

is the xbox supposed to react in some way when the xbox ide is removed? the dashboard kinda freezes..then starts blinking again...the dvd player tries to detect a disc

denky

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2003, 01:22:00 AM »

Have you tried some of these tips others have posted?

1.  Wait 10 mins at the dashboard for xbox hdd to spindown to standby mode then swap.
2.  Remove IDE cable from DVD drive, wait for error message then swap.
3.  Select Memory on dashboard, select Xbox Hard Disk, then swap.

Actually I personally don't see why these tips matter because accord to xbox-linux docs, the hdd is unlocked after the startup animation and logo.

Also test your PC's IDE cable use for the swap on another hdd to ensure it is not a bad cable.

This post has been edited by denky: Dec 23 2003, 09:25 AM

DanShapotsky

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2003, 02:16:00 AM »

I have done this on a 1.3 box and was also having problems with hdd driver and hotswapping... I used the xlinux disk and followed the instructions in this  thread

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...ST&f=45&t=74925

up to and including the mounting of the drives in xlinux.... things I did differently

..I loaded a game, went to game options, turned sound off in everything (game was midtown madness.. the first that came to hand), then I left the box about 10 mins - if you pay close attention you will hear the drive close down and all that will be left is the noise of it spinning, but no write activity...

..then I loaded the phoenix bios as per my post at the end of the thread above... worked first time... and I have used the xlinux mount/unmount method 5 times with complete success .... after being up to around the 30 hotswap fails mark myself I can recommend this method.. it definitely unlocks the drive... what you copy on from that point is up to you - make sure you follow the instructiions in the above thread to unmount the drives when you are fininshed... and the mounting and unmounting instructions for the pc drive you are copying from are for a fat32 drive only.. ntfs will not mount... any questions.. lemme know

Dan
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]