xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Hotswapping Tips  (Read 555 times)

HamSandwhich

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2004, 06:31:00 PM »

hey i need help with hotswapping, my xbox will not boot up to evox or msdash so i cant possibly wait for it to do tht to hotswap, ive read around that it unlocks during the flubber animation, so i hotswapped really quick. my pc detects the xbox hdd i go to HDD Driver, go to find xbox hard drive thing it says 'Good News, I found an xbox Harddrive at \\.\PhysicalDrive1' and then nothing loads :s please help

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2004, 01:23:00 PM »

Sounds like a clock loop, using such an old font.

Are your original xbox fonts in place?

inkspoof

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »

Can't seem to get the hotswap right...

+power on computer, press pause
+boot the xbox, wait a few minutes
+unplug the xbox ide cable to the drive
+plug the drive to ide cable to the primary ide cable on the computer
+press return (every single time, the dell won't recognize the drive and I have to reboot
+run xboxhd and then it says my hd is still locked

Am I missing something here? I have a Dell Dimension.. anyone try a hotswap with a Dimension before?

The hd is powered by the xbox.

gibberish

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (inkspoof @ Dec 8 2004, 06:37 PM)
+press return (every single time, the dell won't recognize the drive and I have to reboot

This is the killer - the PC needs to detect the harddisk - check your BIOS settings on your PC unless you get the PC to see the drive xboxhdm will never work.

josh73

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »

ahh all i did was put the hardrive into the ide strip and then i took it out bc my computer didn't boot right.. now everytime i go to xbox live it gives me this error that says to see costumer support and error number is 21.. and i have green and red lights.. whats up with this

cyrusuncc

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »

Thanks kingroach for your "what worked for me"

I've hotswapped several xbox hd's flawlessly, but this last one refused to work.  It would never spin down!  I ripped a music track, played it, then tried the hotswap.  Worked!!

Dunno why, but it did!  (this is after 30-40 failed hotswap attempts)

Soullar

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2005, 01:15:00 AM »

Probably by reading and following the 'xboxhdm for dummies' tutorial.

(and maybe to be more specific on which package you used for modding)

Soullar

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2005, 01:23:00 AM »

But, since I'm a nice guy (well sometimes) I'll analyse your problem from your previous posts.

You have a 160GB drive that comes from a chipped xbox, not just a fresh new blank disk.

Now you have 2 chances :

1) The HDD is locked with the locking key from the chipped box.
- Use that xbox locking key (preferably generated from that Xbox eeprom.bin file) to unlock the drive
- Use the locking key from the softmodded xbox to lock it.
- All done

2) The HDD isn't locked at all (since it comes from a chipped box)
- Use the locking key (preferably generated from that Xbox eeprom.bin file) from the softmodded xbox to lock it.
- All done

Oh, and there are plenty ot tutorials, posts etc etc on this topic. Invest some time, keep your patience.

Cio

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

I would have told him to take his head out of his ass and read

JD1

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »

I have a quick question to anyone that can help me. Im using Xboxhdm and my xbox is a v.1.6b  i made the bootable cd and when i go through the steps it says to type softmod to softmod my xbox well its saying this. No xbox hard drive found on /dev/hda (primary master) This script assumes /dev/hda be the device to be used. Please Shut down your PC- connect your xbox drive to the primary master and try again!   Well i tried it maybe 30 times and thats all it says..  I know i have it hooked to the primary drive on my ide cables so can anyone help me???
thanks
JD

boy oh boy capN

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(ftothe3 @ Dec 22 2003, 11:40 AM) View Post

Into: I used hotswapping and the audio exploit to recently mod my v1.5 xbox. The problem I ran into was the hotswapping proccess itself. All the tutorials didn't really describe it well. Anyway, here are some tips that helped me with the hotswap:

Basic Hotswap method:
Plug in your power cord and video cord to the back of your xbox with no game in the DVD drive. Then, wait 5minutes for the xbox to load to the dashboard and then pull out the xbox IDE cable and plug in your PC IDE cable.

Tips:
1. Try not to shake the drive too much while hotswapping.
2. Try to do the hotswap quickly. (Have the PC's IDE cable in your hand while pulling out the xbox's IDE cable).
3. Just because the computer detects the drive (in bios or device manager) doesn't mean you did the hotswap right!!

Windows HDD Driver tips:

1. Hotswap while windows is loaded. This is by far the EASIEST method to get your drive recognized. To do this load windows (xp or 2k) and do the hotswap. Then after the hotswap, right click my computer, goto properties, hardware tab, and load up the device manager. Expand the "Disk Drives" icon. Finally click the "scan for hardware changes" button (looks like a computer with magnifying glass). If you did the hotswap correctly, it will only take a minute for your drive to show up in the device manager. If it takes a long time to detect, then you probably did the hotswap too slowly.
2. ONLY left click when necessary in the HDD driver program because it is very buggy and will crash if you left click too much. Use right clicks almost exlusively.
3. Do right click "insert file" to put files on the xbox harddrive.
4. FOR THE AUDIO HACK: Hdd driver will crash if nothing is in your "music" folder. Therefore, you will never be able to use the HDD driver to do the audio exploit if you dont insert an audio cd in your xbox and click copy track to harddrive within the MS dashboard. (This will create stuff in the music folder so HDD driver wont crash.)

Xlinux Tips:
1. Put the xlinux cd in your cd drive, turn the computer on, and be ready to hotswap the xbox harddrive.
2. When the ascii picture of that guy loads up do the swap.
3. Then press enter to boot. If lots of errors pop up, the HD Is locked, try to swap again from step1.
4. All the tutorials i read assume you have a fat harddrive on your PC. i didnt so i had to figure out these commands for myself:

Basic Linux commands to get XLINUX working:

linux command_____________dos equiv___________function
ls_________________________ dir ___________ tells you whats in a directory
cd_________________________ cd ___________ lets you go into another directory
cp________________________ copy ___________  copies a file from one directory to another
mv________________________ move _________    moves a file from one directory to another
(note mv is used to rename files in linux, ex. mv xboxdash.xbe linux.xbe renames xboxdash.xbe to linux.xbe)

/dev/hda       /dev/hdb       /dev/hdc     /dev/hdd    
are the drives in linux. the A in hda means primary master drive. B is primary slave. C is secondary master and D is secondary slave.
So, if your xbox is on primary master use hda in your mount command, etc.

if you dont have a fat harddrive for your exploit files, burn a cd with the exploit files, then mount the cd:
mount -t auto /dev/hd* /cdrom
(note, make the * A B C or D depending on where your CD drive is plugged in)

To mount the xbox drive:
mkdir /xbox
mount -t fatx /dev/hd*% /xbox
(note, * is A B C or D depending on where the xbox HD is hotswapped to % depends on which hack you are doing. For the audio hack you need to access the E: drive so, you need to make % = 50 for the font expoit you need to access the C drive so % = 51.
ex. for using the audio exploit with the xbox hardrive on primary master:
mount -t fatx /dev/hda50 /xbox
if anyone wants to add to this to make it some sort of tutorial, just reply to this thread. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!

will all this work if i have an error 16?
ive tried doing the ide cable thing
hooking my hard drive up to the D:/ drive
etc.
and it never recognizes it.
and im trying to fix this
W/O hgaving to buy a mod chip.
possible?

ftothe3

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2003, 08:33:00 AM »

Into: I used hotswapping and the audio exploit to recently mod my v1.5 xbox. The problem I ran into was the hotswapping proccess itself. All the tutorials didn't really describe it well. Anyway, here are some tips that helped me with the hotswap:

Basic Hotswap method:
Plug in your power cord and video cord to the back of your xbox with no game in the DVD drive. Then, wait 5minutes for the xbox to load to the dashboard and then pull out the xbox IDE cable and plug in your PC IDE cable.

Tips:
1. Try not to shake the drive too much while hotswapping.
2. Try to do the hotswap quickly. (Have the PC's IDE cable in your hand while pulling out the xbox's IDE cable).
3. Just because the computer detects the drive (in bios or device manager) doesn't mean you did the hotswap right!!

Windows HDD Driver tips:

1. Hotswap while windows is loaded. This is by far the EASIEST method to get your drive recognized. To do this load windows (xp or 2k) and do the hotswap. Then after the hotswap, right click my computer, goto properties, hardware tab, and load up the device manager. Expand the "Disk Drives" icon. Finally click the "scan for hardware changes" button (looks like a computer with magnifying glass). If you did the hotswap correctly, it will only take a minute for your drive to show up in the device manager. If it takes a long time to detect, then you probably did the hotswap too slowly.
2. ONLY left click when necessary in the HDD driver program because it is very buggy and will crash if you left click too much. Use right clicks almost exlusively.
3. Do right click "insert file" to put files on the xbox harddrive.
4. FOR THE AUDIO HACK: Hdd driver will crash if nothing is in your "music" folder. Therefore, you will never be able to use the HDD driver to do the audio exploit if you dont insert an audio cd in your xbox and click copy track to harddrive within the MS dashboard. (This will create stuff in the music folder so HDD driver wont crash.)

Xlinux Tips:
1. Put the xlinux cd in your cd drive, turn the computer on, and be ready to hotswap the xbox harddrive.
2. When the ascii picture of that guy loads up do the swap.
3. Then press enter to boot. If lots of errors pop up, the HD Is locked, try to swap again from step1.
4. All the tutorials i read assume you have a fat harddrive on your PC. i didnt so i had to figure out these commands for myself:

Basic Linux commands to get XLINUX working:

linux command_____________dos equiv___________function
ls_________________________ dir ___________ tells you whats in a directory
cd_________________________ cd ___________ lets you go into another directory
cp________________________ copy ___________  copies a file from one directory to another
mv________________________ move _________    moves a file from one directory to another
(note mv is used to rename files in linux, ex. mv xboxdash.xbe linux.xbe renames xboxdash.xbe to linux.xbe)

/dev/hda       /dev/hdb       /dev/hdc     /dev/hdd    
are the drives in linux. the A in hda means primary master drive. B is primary slave. C is secondary master and D is secondary slave.
So, if your xbox is on primary master use hda in your mount command, etc.

if you dont have a fat harddrive for your exploit files, burn a cd with the exploit files, then mount the cd:
mount -t auto /dev/hd* /cdrom
(note, make the * A B C or D depending on where your CD drive is plugged in)

To mount the xbox drive:
mkdir /xbox
mount -t fatx /dev/hd*% /xbox
(note, * is A B C or D depending on where the xbox HD is hotswapped to % depends on which hack you are doing. For the audio hack you need to access the E: drive so, you need to make % = 50 for the font expoit you need to access the C drive so % = 51.
ex. for using the audio exploit with the xbox hardrive on primary master:
mount -t fatx /dev/hda50 /xbox

if anyone wants to add to this to make it some sort of tutorial, just reply to this thread. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!

This post has been edited by ftothe3: Dec 22 2003, 04:43 PM

n3o

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2003, 12:44:00 PM »

thanks for the advice. for some reason I still can't get the hotswap working though, despite trying all that tons of times. hdd-driver just won't read the disk

denky

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2003, 03:56:00 PM »

ftothe3, excellent post.  You have compiled info spread out elsewhere and added more.

For the fat harddrive part, does fat=fat32 too?

And everyone don't forget to do a image backup of your xbox hdd once it is recognized in Windows/Xlinux.  For Windows, there were reports of HDD Driver backup reliability. So I suggest WinHex, Ghost, Driveimage or other tools that supports imaging.

ftothe3

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2003, 04:40:00 PM »

yes fat=fat32. if you look at the other xlinux tutorial, it tells you to mount your hard drive using the command:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda this only works if you have a harddrive that has a fat (or fat32) partition. if its ntfs (like most xp and 2k installs) then this mount command wont work. the work-around i suggested was putting the files on cd and mounting that.

@n30: if hdd driver doesnt recognize the drive that means you're not doing the hotswap correctly. try using my tips. hdd driver is buggy, but it def. does tell you if you do the swap correctly (it'll say "found xbox drive")
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5