xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Hotswapping Tips  (Read 551 times)

kingroach

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »

dry.gif

kingroach

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2004, 08:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (ftothe3 @ Feb 21 2004, 03:38 AM)
QUOTE (kingroach @ Feb 19 2004, 09:34 PM)
exactly thats what u hav to do. xbox Hd is unlocked when xbox is reading something from it cz xbox( no one) cannt read from a locked hd and thast why soem ppl get " cannot unlock hard drive" error. The whole idea behind audio track is giving ppl some more time as long as that track is being played xbox is reading something from it and hd is unlocked.

wrong. the hd is unlocked when the dash is loaded. it does not need to be accessing files from the HD for it to be unlocked.

dash method never worked for me but audio cd method worked every time. rolleyes.gif

kingroach

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2004, 05:50:00 AM »

smile.gif

goggins

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »

The best way I have found to hotswap is to just disconnect the IDE cable going to the dvd drive. It will error on the dvd drive but leave the harddrive unlocked. This way is explained in ldots tutorial on using xboxhdm. It always works for me!

Also, I believe that I have found an important discovery. I've been hotswapping while windows is running and it works on some computers, and not on others. The thing that I found is that the computers that have Nforce chipsets need to make sure that they don't have the Nvidia Sw IDE driver installed, b/c then hotswapping doesn't work. Uninstall the driver and you should be able to hotswap just fine in windows. I've tested this on two computers with the Nvidia chipsets and found this too be true.

I also recommend xboxhdm instead of any windows file manager like FatXplorer. It just works so much better!

Anyway, good luck!

noob123

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2004, 12:39:00 AM »

i am a newbee and i'm really scared to do this thats why i'm asking these question

1) where do I get the ide cable from the computer

2) whick ide cable in the xbox do i disconnect

could someone pleez help

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (noob123 @ Aug 14 2004, 02:42 AM)
i am a newbee and i'm really scared to do this thats why i'm asking these question

1) where do I get the ide cable from the computer

2) whick ide cable in the xbox do i disconnect

could someone pleez help

In the xbox, disconnect the DVD and then when you recieve the error disconnect the hard drive.

in the pc use the primary master cable.

Also to aviod grounding issues, connect a ground wire between your PC's chassis, and your Xbox's Chassis via Alligator clips or something .

ftothe3

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2004, 09:09:00 PM »

when i wrote this, hdddriver and xlinux were the only tools available. no one really uses hddriver anymore because its so buggy. use xlinux or Idots new xboxhdm (recommended)

....::::THECAPTAIN::::....

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »

does having Knoppix on a other partition effect hotswapping?, cuz ive been try to swap all night but nothing

hossmonkey

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2004, 03:00:00 PM »

With help from (KINGROACH). XBOXHDM FOR DUMMIES v.1.6

What didn't work for me was loading win2k / windows 2000 on and old HDD which was FAT32 formatted. I got the drive to show up in the BIOS and in my device manager but it wouldn't mount to the desktop ... even tried to command line to it chdir /D d:/?

What worked for me was loading a song to the xbox hdd pulling the disk and then playing the song for about 20 secs. and hitting pause.

The Halo trick work for me as well .. I went to settings and changed colors of the guy and hit save then swapped. (worked first time!)

I used xboxhdm which allows you to create a folder to place your exploit in and then makes a bootable iso to boot off. You will know your disk is unlocked when you boot in to xboxhdm and see just text/ascii and maybe a short screen flash(no scrolling) on the monitor .... if you see a bunch off errors scroll through in text/ascii then it's not unlocked. I then hit option 1 (there are 4 options) then typed in "xbrowser" which brings up a simple menu screen (there is a pause in loading). Use tab and up and down arrows to navigate through command menu. There's a command menu at the bottom with numbers associated to move,copy,delete,etc. to access them you don't use your number key you need to use the F number keys (I thought the drive was locked again because I was using the number keys and not the F number keys). This allowed me to copy over the exploit.

What also helped me to hotswap the drive was to use MOLEX Y splitters as extensions & to remove the xbox HDD from the xbox and the DVD player for easy access and to avoid disturbing the HD (this apparently moves the reading heads to lock postion and consequently locks the hd). I also used MOLEX Y splitters as extensions from my PC for the CD/CDRW drive. I'll post pictures.

FYI: For safety I did ground the xbox and my PC case together to avoid possible voltage problems (read it in a tut or thread? Better safe than sorry I always say!)
user posted image

dmcbudman

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

i have tried all possible ways to swap
but if i pull my ide the v1.0 BOX shuts down
the only thing i can think is i had to do a ATX mod
maybe something to do with that i dunno
if anyone has had this problem or know how i can fix it please
let me know  i want to softmod but dont have cash for the usb drive
so i need to swap
please
and
thank you

dirtyfloormatt

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2004, 07:45:00 PM »

smile.gif

dirtyfloormatt

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »

bump, someone please give helpful advice if you have it

OliG

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »

double post, damn lag on this machine.

dirtyfloormatt

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2004, 09:06:00 PM »

so let me get this straight. I need to take my harddrive (which is in who knows what condition files, etc....) and get xboxhdm and "rebuild" it using the backup i made before i mucked everything up?

dialler

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »

I have the same problem:  the clock loop.  xbox-linux

In this case, the unlocking is a fine process.  The hdd seems to unlock right before the error screen and then locks when the error screen shows.  I found that it takes longer for the error screen to show if you have a game in the drive.  So, right before the error screen shows is when you will pull the IDE cable.  It is very tricky and needs to be timed perfectly (mine is around 7 seconds).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5