xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Hotswapping Tips  (Read 553 times)

iLLNESS

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« on: December 29, 2003, 08:56:00 PM »

most people think theyrwe xbox hdd isnt unlocked

but it unlocks soon as the dash is loaded

and is fine for a hotswap then

its all about your pc

some pcs bios's are very picky about when u plug it in
some dont care

if u get that ide detection screen pause it right before it detects anything

if it detects the xbox hdd and restarts u gotta hotswap again.. and pase the pc again

if it doesnt detect it it isnt locked

i dono
but i know its locked soon as dash loads

thadude

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »

when i swap, my bios detects the drive and asks me for the hard drive password....i wait until the dash loads but for some reason either my drive doesnt unlock or relocks its self or something....any ideas?

ftothe3

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 05:23:00 PM »

try another computer or if you're using hddriver, load up windows first before swapping. if using xlinux, swap when the picture of the guy loads up.

thadude

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »

QUOTE (ftothe3 @ Jan 3 2004, 03:23 AM)
try another computer or if you're using hddriver, load up windows first before swapping. if using xlinux, swap when the picture of the guy loads up.

thanks...I have tried everything except xlinux because i am limited in what i can do because I have raid on my machine...

I can access the drive in liveinfo...I got the password....but it doesnt work for unlocking the drive, and the drive still isnt found by hdd driver....

SpecialAgent420

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »

I'm also stuck with hdd_driver...
my bios detects the xbox drive no problem, windows detects the drive no problem.... hdd_driver dosn't, any ideas?

ftothe3

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (SpecialAgent420 @ Jan 8 2004, 08:28 PM)
I'm also stuck with hdd_driver...
my bios detects the xbox drive no problem, windows detects the drive no problem.... hdd_driver dosn't, any ideas?

look at tip #3.

megaflux

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 11:28:00 PM »

isnt there a "package" of all the missing .dll's for hdd driver? i had it working once b4 but now i switched my os to xp pro instead of just xp (i also have debian linux on there...and win me..but anyways) and i cant get hdd driver to work for crap. ive tried like i dunno about 50 msvcrtd.dll's and none have worked, can anyone link or compile for me? i ALWAYS just unplugged the dvd drives yello wires and got the error message and hot swapped from that screen, while pc was paused b4 detecting drives and i never had a problem (well other that the fact that the drives image was 9 gigs and really hard to hexedit). thanks in advance

spaar

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 06:20:00 PM »

I'm looking for a detailed step by step instructions on doing the audio expliot using windows xp.  

spaar

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

I'm trying to do the audio expliot from windows xp i do the hotswap while i'm in windows my device manger reads it and my hdd driver detects it but i get a infinte error till the program closes any ideas!

ftothe3

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 04:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (spaar @ Jan 12 2004, 06:18 PM)
I'm trying to do the audio expliot from windows xp i do the hotswap while i'm in windows my device manger reads it and my hdd driver detects it but i get a infinte error till the program closes any ideas!

there's a fix for this but its complex. i would just use xlinux if i were you. even if you've never used linux its really easy to do. just read my xlinux tips.

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »

it helps to update ur pc's bios before hotswapping...

soliant

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 07:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (ftothe3 @ Dec 22 2003, 06:33 PM)

if anyone wants to add to this to make it some sort of tutorial, just reply to this thread. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!

This really helps man.  Thanks a bunch.  There are too many tuts out there, that make so many assumptions and leave out small, but very IMPORTANT details.

Thanks agian.

ftothe3

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »

QUOTE (fetz654 @ Jan 20 2004, 08:42 PM)
To unlock your hdd all you must do is put in halo wait for the main screen (the guys are singing) then swap it worked for me and nothing else ever did because the dashboard doesnt unlock the hdd

WRONG! you can unlock your HD by loading a game, thats true BUT loading the dash alone unlocks the HD also! xbox must unlock the hd so that the dash can write to it (xboxdash needs HD access for copying saves from mem card to hard drive and ripping songs off CDs to the harddrive.) to do any of that stuff the drive needs to be unlocked. therefore, the drive is unlocked after the dash is loaded!

Sidewinder007z

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 07:49:00 PM »

More importantly the hd has to be unlocked just to read any information off of it.
Hard drives are locked to individual Xboxes.  Thats why you just cant pull a hard drive
from any Xbox and throw it on another.  Once the hard drive is unlocked.  Information
can be pulled off and put on.  Think about it this way.  All the dashboard programs
that handle memory cards and the music files (The generic Xbox dashboard) reside on
the Hard drive.  If the drive is not unlocked, that dash would never load.

Silent_Buddha

• Archived User
Hotswapping Tips
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »

tongue.gif  I would have been here for hours.  heh.

Anyway, thanks for the little tutorial.  Just sitting here waiting for the backup process to finish and then I get to have fun fixing the infinite errors loops so I can actually put stuff on there.

SB
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5