xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Mechinstaller-evox  (Read 1184 times)

AsTnBoMb

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« on: October 29, 2003, 12:30:00 PM »

the question is, does it fix the clock loop completely?

_ionic_

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 12:33:00 PM »

Just to clarify:

This evox-mechinstaller is NOT from the xbox-linux guys.

Some anonymous guy took the linux-mechinstaller and hacked it.

makavelif50

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 12:33:00 PM »

good question i think it might b/c the last mechinstaller that installed linux they said that it doesnt have the clock loop so i would think that this would be the same. also i cant get ti to go on my mem card it just says invaild xbox save.

pmh

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 12:40:00 PM »

wouldn't it make more sense for them to make it run PBL? Then you could run whatever your heart desired!

Mordenkainen

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 01:06:00 PM »

Well have you TRIED to get it to run PBL?

In any case, it's a nice piece of work. I winder how it patches the ms dash to display Evox?

Morden.

Mordenkainen

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 01:12:00 PM »

If you got FTP, just FTP it to the system.

As far as PBL, ya gott play with it but make sure you can recover if it screwes up!

Mordenkainen

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »

You need to findout that XBE it launches after install. Probably evoxdash.xbe. Either in the root of C or E I would say. Then, make a copy of this XBE and replace the original with PBL's xbe, and install the rest of the stuff needed for PBL....

I'm hoping to get to look at this in the near future.

Morden.

MowAlon

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 03:06:00 PM »

I ftp'd the save directly to my xbox (it was already font-exploited), removed the font exploit, and ran the MechInstaller for EvoX. Everything seemed to work great, and the EvoX launch button appeared in the dashboard, but when I choose it, it just returns to the MS dashboard. I thought perhaps there was some mistake and the evox.xbe that is installed to the C drive just wasn't signed with Habibi, so I signed it for Habibi and it still doesn't work.

So, the .nfo tells us we can run anything that's habibi signed, but it doesn't even run EvoX like it's supposed to. Perhaps it's a hoax, perhaps there's just some mistake, perhaps it works with a different dashboard than the standard one that the rest of the exploits works on... I don't know. All I know is that I can't get it to work properly.

From MechAssault, you can run the EvoX stored in the save file, so I don't think there's a problem with that file.

Any ideas? Any luck from someone else? We really need more info from the author for this. What's with people making these fabulous hacks all the time and then making shitty .nfos?

-MowAlon

makavelif50

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 10:01:00 PM »

has anyone got this installer to work yet? i am hoping this does

morpheous1777

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 10:18:00 PM »

I would like to see this work also.

* = backslash

so far what i can tell it moves the evox.xbe, evox.ini, and readme2 from the save (e:*udata*d530017*e8ff68c9193b) to the C: partition. It renames the files in the font folder from xbox.xtf to xbox.bak and xbox book.xtf to xbox book.bak. And moves bert.xtf and ernie.xtf from the save to the fonts folder. The file engine.bin must patch some files (i dont know which) which replaces the xbox live text with evox and much patch it to open evox.xbe (im guessing) . Also i noticed that when the evoxdash.xbe gets transfered to the C: drive it gets renamed to evox.xbe

I also noticed that when i restored my dashboard via the menu in mechassault, it must repatch whatever files it patched then it renames xbox.bak back to xbox.xtf and xbox book.bak back to xbox book.xtf. and it leaves all the other files on the C partition (evox.xbe, evox.ini, readme2)

I'm gonna mess around with it and see if i can it to load PBL, maybe i'll get lucky

R.E.M.

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 10:53:00 PM »

Didn't work. When I select evox it just goes back to the MS dashboard.... There is something screwed up about evox I though it might have been the skin but  it wasn't.

R.E.M.

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 02:56:00 AM »

Actually the Linux Mechinstaller is not 100% loop free. Some people on their mailing lists reported having the loop problem.

Mordenkainen

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 04:39:00 AM »

Well...

I'm having the same problem of dumping back to the dash after selecting Evox. I have tried a few thigs, but none have worked.

I can tell you this, no patching of the dashboard is done by engine.bin (or so it appears). If you look through ernie with a hex editor you can see that the fonts themselves are patching the dash in mem to have the Evox button and launch evox.

My feeling is that engine.bin is a small install script that just copies a few files around.

We need to figure out how to make this actually launch the Evox, then get it to launch other things instead!

Anyone get this to actually work?

Morden.

Mordenkainen

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 05:19:00 AM »

I think his point was that though they SAY it is free of it, some users still get them.

Morden.

afon

• Archived User
Mechinstaller-evox
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2003, 09:30:00 AM »

from what ive heard, they come out RIGHT away. Im thinking a few things about these mech-installer fonts, I think they work because:

1)the install is done right, (no mixed fonts)
2)The fonts see the clock loop, then go back to using regular fonts the next time it boots
3)It has no exception net! This could be a PROBLEM! We now know more about the threads missing etc then ever.
4)It could just be the right combination
5)From what i know these dont clear all threads either, so that could be a big plus

These fonts have been shipped in xboxs and received fine. I have more respect for these fonts now that i know how complicated they truely are. If your feeling 'iffy' about these fonts, read what artifex said about them in the Xbox Live exploit topic (Artifex is one of the members of the pheonix bios loader 'crew').
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10