xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Pheonix Bios Loader  (Read 1917 times)

Terayon

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2003, 10:40:00 AM »

Wooger:

Did you sign the Pheonix loader defualt.xbe for the xploit you are using?

if not then it won't load.
It is not signed already.

Wooger

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (tjfontaine @ Jul 18 2003, 07:40 PM)
I tried it.
It works for me.
Make sure you sign the xbe for the exploit you're booting from.

Yea i signed it...

I get the Pheonix movie and then after its done i get the error loading...

It worked for you?

Wooger

DBZRacer

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »

Terayon: Yup that was my train of thought at the end too but was too lazy to change my post. So essentially boot sequence would go:

1. Bert&Ernie
2. Complex Loader! (set to autolaunch Phoenix Bios Loader)
3. Bios Loader runs and voila!
4. evoxdash.xbe just like any other mod chipped xbox.

biggrin.gif

tjfontaine

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2003, 10:44:00 AM »

QUOTE (DBZRacer @ Jul 18 2003, 07:41 PM)
Terayon: Yup that was my train of thought at the end too but was too lazy to change my post. So essentially boot sequence would go:

1. Bert&Ernie
2. Complex Loader! (set to autolaunch Phoenix Bios Loader)
3. Bios Loader runs and voila!
4. evoxdash.xbe just like any other mod chipped xbox.

biggrin.gif

more like:

1 B&E
2 Phoenix Loader
3 Evox Dash

stealth

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2003, 10:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jul 18 2003, 07:30 PM)
It is based on the debug bios.  I can only assume they mucked around with it a bit to get it to compress to smaller than 512k.  The 2bl in the x2 4977 boot from media _IS_ encrypted with the debug rc4. [/QUOTE]
Using the Debug BIOS'es 2BL doesn't mean it's based on the debug BIOS.

As I am starting to understand, the "BFM" version was created to emulate what the XDK's "BFM" Retail BIOSes do: load via the Debug BIOS'es "BFM" feature. I take it the RC4 key might have been required due to checking on the Debug BIOSes part, or using their 2BL loader.

Why, then, does Pheonix claim a BIOS will work with an unencrypted 2BL (Dual Boot)?

I'm telling you... it makes little sense to me.

It is possible that you are right about the x2 4977 just being patched to do the shadow rom booting, however I've glanced at the diff between the 2 before and I don't believe it is enough to fully convert a retail to allow for that.

And if I'm correct, the .nfo doesn't say anywhere that any bios with a decrypted 2bl will work.  It specifically says that only the X2 4977 BFM bios is.  What they most likely mean is that if you were to decrypt the X24977 BFM 2bl and repackage the bios with the 2bl already decrypted, it would work.

That was probably to incite someone to build the rom that way so that people wouldn't have to scrounge around for the RC4key as it is much harder to find then the bioses themselves.

Lord Alderon

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2003, 10:49:00 AM »

wooger. I get the same error. error loading rom or something like that. I will do it again and post the exact words!

PheoniX_Project

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2003, 10:50:00 AM »

Well it sure looks to me like a lot more than the 2bl is from a debug bios i am no programmer and have never professed to be one but looking at 4977 and a debug side by side they sure look pretty similar to the debug a lot more similar than say a retail!

i guess ive looked thru clearer glasses than some.

Cheers

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2003, 10:57:00 AM »

Quote from: stealth,Jul 18 2003, 02:44 PM
Quote from: BenJeremy,Jul 18 2003, 07:30 PM
It is based on the debug bios.  I can only assume they mucked around with it a bit to get it to compress to smaller than 512k.  The 2bl in the x2 4977 boot from media _IS_ encrypted with the debug rc4.

Using the Debug BIOS'es 2BL doesn't mean it's based on the debug BIOS.

As I am starting to understand, the "BFM" version was created to emulate what the XDK's "BFM" Retail BIOSes do: load via the Debug BIOS'es "BFM" feature. I take it the RC4 key might have been required due to checking on the Debug BIOSes part, or using their 2BL loader.

Why, then, does Pheonix claim a BIOS will work with an unencrypted 2BL (Dual Boot)?

I'm telling you... it makes little sense to me.

It is possible that you are right about the x2 4977 just being patched to do the shadow rom booting, however I've glanced at the diff between the 2 before and I don't believe it is enough to fully convert a retail to allow for that.

And if I'm correct, the .nfo doesn't say anywhere that any bios with a decrypted 2bl will work.  It specifically says that only the X2 4977 BFM bios is.  What they most likely mean is that if you were to decrypt the X24977 BFM 2bl and repackage the bios with the 2bl already decrypted, it would work.

That was probably to incite someone to build the rom that way so that people wouldn't have to scrounge around for the RC4key as it is much harder to find then the bioses themselves. [/QUOTE]
The "official" M$ "Boot From Media"  BIOSes are, in fact, retail BIOSes.

This is why the NFO from Pheonix is a bit confusing.

What's require, probably, is special code to allow for a warm boot of the BIOS, with full initialization. Normally, initialization data is grabbed from the shadowed BIOS image, and much is left undone on a warm reboot... mixing with a new shadowed BIOS can screw up a system, since the data is no longer in the same spots. "BFM" must use special code to bypass this issue by doing something completely different.

I think at issue here is that the only compatible BIOSes are those set up for "Boot From Media" with the proper init code to restart with a new BIOS.

The 2BL must be the key to making a BIOS "BFM", hence the usage of the Debug 2BL.

stealth

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2003, 10:57:00 AM »

did you try it with a 256k bios or a 1024k?

shinobi006

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2003, 10:51:00 AM »

make sure you guys are putting in the rc4 key in the .cfg files.

Terayon

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2003, 10:51:00 AM »

I have a feeling that until someone release a decrypted bios, you will need to find RC4 keys for the various bios's, it probably says error loading cause the RC4 key in the phenix config doesn't match.

quaker2002

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »

please post the procedures and what version of bios you are using.......please I have a 5110 kernel and I hope that's a great day for my xbox biggrin.gif

stealth

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2003, 11:01:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jul 18 2003, 07:50 PM)
The "official" M$ "Boot From Media"  BIOSes are, in fact, retail BIOSes.

This is why the NFO from Pheonix is a bit confusing.

What's require, probably, is special code to allow for a warm boot of the BIOS, with full initialization. Normally, initialization data is grabbed from the shadowed BIOS image, and much is left undone on a warm reboot... mixing with a new shadowed BIOS can screw up a system, since the data is no longer in the same spots. "BFM" must use special code to bypass this issue by doing something completely different.

I think at issue here is that the only compatible BIOSes are those set up for "Boot From Media" with the proper init code to restart with a new BIOS.

The 2BL must be the key to making a BIOS "BFM", hence the usage of the Debug 2BL.

Last time I checked, you can't find an official M$ boot from media bios in a retail box.

How are they retail then?

What do you think a debug bios is then?  Oh wait, maybe a bios that MS distributes in debug xboxes.  And shockingly, those debug bioses are the ones that support booting from media.

bergkampf

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2003, 11:06:00 AM »

Ya a tutorial would be great beerchug.gif

tjfontaine

• Archived User
Pheonix Bios Loader
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2003, 11:10:00 AM »

From reading through the source of it xbox.h:48:#define SHADOW_ROM_SIZE 0x100000 and reading http://www.maxconsol...ents&newsid=365
make sure you have the bios you're trying to load be 1024k

repeat, if you want it to work the rom you are trying to load must be 1024k
see
http://www.maxconsol...ents&newsid=365
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26