xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Bigger Xbox Hdd... It's Really Easy  (Read 506 times)

zbandito

• Archived User
Bigger Xbox Hdd... It's Really Easy
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »

I've got a 120GB drive locked in the xbox, and it is booting Evox via bert:reloaded and Phoenix bios loader.  I used a method similar to the method goku described -- I did a hotswap in some places where he did not, but basically I first used HDPrepar and then I used HDD-Driver by Toggg to restore the xbox backup onto the new hdd.  Then I locked the drive with the new key generated by liveinfo.  The xbox will boot ok, run phoenix, and launch evox.  The first time I did the restore, it did not load the games and applications on my e: drive.  I used evox to format my F: drive, and since I accidentally reformatted c: as well I restored the HDDDriver backup again.  This time it loaded all the information on to my e: drive (games, apps, emu, etc.).

When I try to launch anything, however, Evox just returns to the menu.  It's like the XBE aren't signed or the BIOS isn't being patched/replaced properly.  But the system boots ok, and the same files on the original HDD work to run unsigned XBE.  Any suggestions please?

Xbox v1.0, kernel 3944, Latest XboxLive dash (4977 iirc)

PATRIC

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2003, 03:39:00 PM »

what is a good hex editor that open a harddrive and is free

jeks

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2003, 05:05:00 PM »

patric shudup

xilicio

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2003, 05:44:00 PM »

laugh.gif   laugh.gif   laugh.gif

Hakaida

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2003, 11:08:00 AM »

rolleyes.gif

zanderch

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2003, 10:13:00 AM »

Hi. I bought a Maxtor 160 GB 7200 rpm harddrive, but it isn't lockable. Why must it be lockable? I don't care about Xbox Live. Do I still need to lock it?

Hakaida

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »

laugh.gif

BTW, I had to modified version of this posts instructions. What I did is that before I locked the replacement drive, I ftp'd >backups< of <c:> and <e:> of the original drive to the pc. Next, I reverted the >backups< fonts to "original". After that, while still in the evox dash, I hotswapped the locked original with the not locked, "restored" replacement(jumpered for "master", BTW) and ftp'ed the reverted <c:> and 007 save. I then locked it with hdlock.

Also, I couldn't get hdd_driver to recognize the replacement drive before hand, even after hdprepar (!), so I put the original HDD on and when I got the "found xbox" message, I didn't OK it. What I did is hotswap it with the replacement, scanned for device changes(xp recognizes it), then I restore on the replacement.

Now hdunlock doesn't work, so I booted evox to unlock it, booted dos on my pc, hotswapped it, and hddisable'd it.

Initial boot of the >locked< replacement HDD needs to have original fonts, or else it will give 06 error. I made that mistake, TWICE (!), and had to return it...........twice. (stupid, worthless hdunlock.)

Damn, that HDD_Driver pisses me off, but that's all there is(besides xlinux).

I decided at sometime during the ordeal to replace my maxtor 40gb in my pc with a 120gb seagate. Then, I put my old maxtor in the xbox. And finally, I took the old xbox seagate 10gb and put in the pc along side the 120gb. laugh.gif

Damn, trial and error is a pain in the ass. But now that I know how, that shit is easy, now. 40gb hard drive!! Woohoo!!

Does this mean I am no longer an xbox newbie? cool.gif

NerdENerd

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »

If you are going to open the Xbox up to change the hardrive you may as well just flash your TSOP, then you dont have to mess with this.
The only thing I see the Dash Exploit being useful for is so you don't need to open the box up.

Valhalla1

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2003, 10:31:00 PM »

so, I got the font exploit + phoenix loader working fine on my unopened xbox, but I am toying with the idea of replacing the 8 gig drive in the xbox,

you say if you flash the tsop then you dont have to mess with any of this ?

so you dont have to lock the hard drive to install it ?  what about formatting it in FATX format or whatever?   lets say I did flash the tsop, where is a tut. for adding a  bigger harddrive with a flashed tsop?

xilicio

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »

Is it possible to restore a Xbox Backup Image to a new lockable HD with HDD Driver like this..

I swap in my Xbox HD and HDD Driver will say it found it...
Then i disconnect the Xbox HD and connect the lockable one...and just simply restore the backup to my new HD with Driver?

Could I do that?
Also if that would work then I will have a 120 GB HD with 8 usable gigas like the original I guess..

drezdar

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »

Just curious...why is this 10x better than the 8-step no linux tutorial?  That one seems much more consise and easy to follow.

I'm not trying to insult Gokuss here, because he did a great job too...but maybe I'm missing something as to why the other tutorial is inferior?  Does it skip some sort of important step or mess something up?  I'm about to use the no linux method to upgrade to a better HDD.

scooby_dooby

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (drezdar @ Aug 20 2003, 08:33 PM)
Just curious...why is this 10x better than the 8-step no linux tutorial?  That one seems much more consise and easy to follow.

ok, well #1 reason is cause it's incomplete. in like line 5 it referes you to anither tutorial, without even a hyperlink. if I wanted to print it out I'd have to put 2 or 3 tutorials together.

on the other hand this one is complete and easily printable. The way a tutorial should be. not to mention that in line 1 it lists all software needed, which is great.

it's not 10 times better, but it is better

scooby_dooby

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2003, 01:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (Grospolina @ Aug 20 2003, 09:17 PM)
I agree.  I think the no-linux tutorial is better.  It's just missing the info on unlocking and locking the drive.

HERE'S what you get with the NO-Linux package!!

NO need for xlinux!
NO need for hdprepar!
NO need to put BRFR at 0x600!
NO need for HDD Driver! Use any disk editor, or use Norton Ghost!
NO need to use NTFS for backup!  Works on 9x/ME!
NO need to backup at all (but you can if you want)!  No need to free up 8-10GB of space!  Faster!

Order yours today!  Moderators are standing by.

huh? both of these are "no-linux" tutorials, i'm just wondering why that other one was pinned instead of this one.

godfather 477

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2003, 03:11:00 PM »

i dont get the first bit of this tutorial, if u need to ftp into your xbox does that mean you needed to do the exploit with the 007 game?

rocketeer

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2003, 10:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (Grospolina @ Aug 20 2003, 09:17 PM)
I agree.  I think the no-linux tutorial is better.  It's just missing the info on unlocking and locking the drive.

HERE'S what you get with the NO-Linux package!!

NO need for xlinux!
NO need for hdprepar!
NO need to put BRFR at 0x600!
NO need for HDD Driver! Use any disk editor, or use Norton Ghost!
NO need to use NTFS for backup!  Works on 9x/ME!
NO need to backup at all (but you can if you want)!  No need to free up 8-10GB of space!  Faster!

Order yours today!  Moderators are standing by.

Well, the tut says you require Winhex (FULL VERSION) - sure, everyone's got that... If there are alternative free apps which do the job they should be mentioned.

And "NO need for xlinux!" - well, I think lots of people have used XLinux with the hd-swap thingy. If so, they allready have it.

Credits to all of you who post your experiences and tuts. The more of them the better. Guess there isn't a one-tutorial-fits-all  wink.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4