xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Using A Usb Enclosure For The Swap Trick?  (Read 55 times)

tehbax

• Archived User
Anyone Using A Usb Enclosure For The Swap Trick?
« on: November 03, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »

Has any successfully done this?  I have a USB 2.0 enclosure, and am wondering if it's possible to hotswap with that...  Trying to avoid frying my computer.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

the only successful way to get it working on a laptop is to get a 44 pin male to 40 female with 12 v external convertor.

this allows you to hook a standard 3.5 ide destop drive into a laptop hd port.

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 04:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (DaddyJ @ Nov 4 2004, 12:52 AM)
the only successful way to get it working on a laptop is to get a 44 pin male to 40 female with 12 v external convertor.

this allows you to hook a standard 3.5 ide destop drive into a laptop hd port.

Why can't a USB to IDE converter work ? It cannot be used for lock/unlock but I believe hotswap should be fine as to the HD, it is nothing but a IDE interface. It may have the added benefit that one can plug first the IDE part to the HD, then USB to the notebook which reduce the chance of frying the HD.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 07:21:00 PM »

smile.gif

slappy_squirel

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 04:10:00 AM »

QUOTE (chimpanzee @ Nov 3 2004, 06:03 PM)
Why can't a USB to IDE converter work ? It cannot be used for lock/unlock but I believe hotswap should be fine as to the HD, it is nothing but a IDE interface. It may have the added benefit that one can plug first the IDE part to the HD, then USB to the notebook which reduce the chance of frying the HD.

You would have to find a way to get your laptop to accept the usb hd using the xboxhdm disk (since you are actually booting from it) you would have to get it to install the usb to ide interface drivers so you can manipulate the drive.  If you are a linux guru this might be possible but I cant help you on that one. Same goes for an enclosure since bill made xfat incompatible with xp or anything thing else you have to use a boot disk to install drivers and use linux to read the xfat partition AFAIK

If you use the 2.5" to 3.5"  ide converter with latop this would work since no drivers are required

Why are you scared to hook your hd up to your computer?
It would be just as easy to stick your drive in a computer as it would be in a enclosure there is the same minimal risks invovled

PENTIUM75

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 03:27:00 AM »

windows isnt just going to magically sprout fatx filesystem support....and for hdd driver, I've never had any luck with it, so you probably wont either, especially to usb ide.  Any ways I dunno exactly what your trying to do, but use xlinux to do it, and now that I think of it, the swao trick prolly aint gonan work with that usb thing, because you have to have it started, and catch it before it detects a drive, as to get past the locking mechanism, so get a pc