xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Will M$ Patch The Exploits Without You Knowing?  (Read 347 times)

fdasfdsfa

• Archived User
Will M$ Patch The Exploits Without You Knowing?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2003, 01:06:00 PM »

My guess is that MS is going to take the businessman's guide to doing business, ie, figuring out which will be better for business -- letting people keep their modded Xboxes and possibly buy fewer new games since they can pirate them on their own, or trying to put in a new dashboard in a new game and having people with modded Xboxes not buy new games since they're afraid of screwing up their Xboxes.  

Either way people are going to buy fewer new games, but if MS does nothing they're not going to incite the further wrath and fury of people who have modded their Xboxes, so that's my bet as to what they'll do.

However, if these people end up screwing up Xbox Live you can be pretty sure that MS is going to come down on them pretty hard.

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2003, 01:37:00 PM »

ph34r.gif slyly ph34r.gif  try and entice users to update to a newer dashboard by offering some new features everybody would want.

BTW - like this phrase
when one door closes another opens
can be put to use in many a day situations.

jfxwave

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2003, 03:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (stcogolin @ Jul 12 2003, 07:00 PM)
I think MS can and eventually will try to screw up modded boxes. It's just like satellite tv systems :
as long as it was in dish or bev's interest to gain the
market, they tolerated mods but at one point, they
got fed up and started LEGALLY screwing with modded
receivers' TSOPs. This created a cat and mouse game
where users now have to install digital locks on their receivers' eeproms and TSOP. In the case of the xbox,
I think the scariest thing they can do is relock your
hdd with some other password. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think an original bios won't even boot a
retail game if the hdd is locked so you can't recover from such an attack by using the 007 exploit ; you also
can't hot swap the hdd since the xbox won't unlock it
so you're screwed.  In order for this exploit to live on,
I think people will have to find a way to block the locking of the hdd but I don't know anything about this... Do unlockable hard drives exist or is every hdd lockable? Could a digital lock be developped for a hdd?

I think your right. If M$ wanted to they could lock your hard drive with another password and ether you would have to:
1 pay someone with the right equipment to unlock it.
2 buy the equipment (way too much money)
3 buy a new hard drive and start over until the next M$ lock or buy one that can’t be locked.
4 send it to M$ (lol)

There is no software out (yet) that can pop a locked hard drive as far as I know. (If someone does know PLEASE let me know. (I’m in need of one)

The smartest people working on the Xbox are the ones who made it but we have more people working on it by far.

stcogolin

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2003, 09:14:00 AM »

I think your right. If M$ wanted to they could lock your hard drive with another password and ether you would have to:
1 pay someone with the right equipment to unlock it.
2 buy the equipment (way too much money)
3 buy a new hard drive and start over until the next M$ lock or buy one that can’t be locked.
4 send it to M$ (lol)

There is no software out (yet) that can pop a locked hard drive as far as I know. (If someone does know PLEASE let me know. (I’m in need of one)

The smartest people working on the Xbox are the ones who made it but we have more people working on it by far.

I read somewhere of a program that is supposed to unock hdds without  the knowledge of  the password but I don't know if it works. It's called "qunlock.exe"
and you can find it with a simple search on google.

pOiNTBLaNK

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2003, 05:25:00 AM »

I see this was a good topic.  If anyone else has opinions please let us know.

-pOiNTBLaNK-

Mordenkainen

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2003, 06:17:00 AM »

I've used qunlock with my TiVo drive. Not sure if it works with the X drive.

Morden

spikedrod

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2003, 09:43:00 AM »

They will just make it so new games need the updated dash to run. Simple as that. That is perfectly legal since they updated your dash for Live.

Valhalla1

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2003, 01:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (spikedrod @ Jul 14 2003, 06:43 PM)
They will just make it so new games need the updated dash to run. Simple as that. That is perfectly legal since they updated your dash for Live.

this would be bad...

remember, not everyone has an internet connection, even in this day and age..

or some may only have dialup, with no hub or even ethernet card in their computer with which to network the xbox so it can update itself

spikedrod

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2003, 02:01:00 PM »

no
i have never been online with my xbox, yet when i was playing around with toe jam n earl i selected live and it installed the new dash.

the the dash is updated from the disc, not xb live (altho it is possible from live)

they are allowed to give any1 on live a new dash anyway, since it is after all a "security hole". it's your own fault if your xbox fucks up afterwards.
Pages: 1 2 [3]