xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Guide To Installing Free-x/evox Using Xlinux  (Read 2031 times)

QUIKSILVERMALE

• Archived User
Guide To Installing Free-x/evox Using Xlinux
« Reply #270 on: November 23, 2003, 11:11:00 AM »

OK i finally got it
turns out my bert & ernie files were bad

anyways
new problem
ha
when i ftp to my xbox there is no apps or games folder in the F directory and when i try to upload anything it wont let me

any suggestions?

bbjk

• Archived User
« Reply #271 on: November 23, 2003, 10:39:00 AM »

smile.gif

and beside, if you have an 8gb hard-drive, which i guess you do since your is an old version xbox. then you can't use the F drive biggrin.gif

the reason why the F: drive appear in there when you use ftp becuase evox created a folder with that name, it's not really usable just yet smile.gif so when you try to upload anything to it, it won't works...

appz folder are ussally in the E: drive, and you ussally have to make a new folder name appz, it is not created yet when i install this expliots... but you can create that folder anywhere you want just make sure you evox.ini file is point to that location on your xbox hard-drive biggrin.gif

and lol, your bert and ernie is a bad file, man that was sure a waste of time smile.gif

QUIKSILVERMALE

• Archived User
« Reply #272 on: November 23, 2003, 06:02:00 PM »

ha yeah it was
and thanks for all the help
im going to get a bigger hardrive as soon as i can

QUIKSILVERMALE

• Archived User
« Reply #273 on: November 23, 2003, 07:02:00 PM »

sometimes when i turn on my xbox i just go to a black screen and nothing happens it can take like 3 reboots before i get the evox screen
it scared me the first time ha

is this normal?
can it be fixed?

other problems i coppied all the files from media player onto the E drive but it doesnt work i get the stupid your xbox needs service screen......... man i hate that screen
maybe its because i put it in its own folder on apps ie. /E/Apps/XBMP/
thats probably it im goin to go try

i also tried to put a game i downloaded in the game folder also didnt work thinking maybe the game is corrupt probably as my luck would turn out oh well
trial and error is how i got evox to work in the first place i guess ill start there

QUIKSILVERMALE

• Archived User
« Reply #274 on: November 24, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »

Guess what everyone i am back
turns out nothing is as it seems

i had been trying to get evox to do something anything for a few days now and im pissed
all i could do was ftp too it

on the EvoX menu
m$dashboard - took me to the Xbox needs service screen
load dvd game - Xbox needs service screen
shutdown - works
reboot - works

ok everything else worked

except when i tried putting games and stuff on it they also took me to the Xbox needs service screen

i figured i would just download the slayers evox installer 2.5 right
so i did burned it to the cd-rw
wouldnt load it ever either freeze before it got to evox or would go to evox
i know the cd rw works because in evox it recognized the cd i had put in there

total time working on modding the xbox : 26 hours
results: none
frustration level: shooting rampage

well not sure if any of u have had any of these problems but if ya have any ideas that would be apreciated
thanks in advance

bbjk

• Archived User
« Reply #275 on: November 24, 2003, 02:26:00 PM »

biggrin.gifs...

the font expliot can't run unsign .xbe file...

if you want to run unsign xbe, you will also need to install the PBL but since you have just run thur a bunch of problem, try out the patching first and then we you get around better with this, then try to install the PBL smile.gif

and about your xbox go to the black screen, do you have a network cable connected to your xbox? I ussally only have this problem when i'm using the bigfont bert and ernie .xtf file, it never happen with the reloaded before...

what font are you using, is it the original or reloaded bert/ernie, or just tell me the size of your ernie.xtf size smile.gif

QUIKSILVERMALE

• Archived User
« Reply #276 on: November 24, 2003, 06:14:00 PM »

hey man, thanks for all your help i think im falling in love love.gif

ha anyways.........

Ernie is a whopping 15,429 KB

QUIKSILVERMALE

• Archived User
« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2003, 07:55:00 PM »

heres another question.........imagine that

what is my C drive supposed to look like?

because the M$ dashboard wont work ever so i think until i get that working im not getting anywhere

so far my C drive consists of:
    Xbox Book.xtf << original file
    Xbox.xtf << original
    evox.ini
    default.xbe << new
    xboxdashboard.xbe << original
Fonts folder:
Xbox Book.xtf << Bert i believe
Xbox.xtf << Ernie

i think there is like an audio folder and another one i wasnt too worried about thsoe though
anyways im sure theres a problem in there somewhere.

if anyone wants to add me on msn feel free < [email protected] >

thanks again

gertzferd

• Archived User
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2003, 02:00:00 AM »

ok i totally dont know what to do now i tried the exploit and ran through the tut exactly as it stated everthting seemed to work fine till i went to boot the xbox afterwards i saw the dash for a split second then it went to the screen that says your xbox requires service. the downside is i never got hdd driver to work so i dont have a backup of my orig drive contents. however i can still unlock the drive and access it in xlinux no problem so i can still copy files around and what not but i have no idea what to try. my goal out of all this is to get the evox dashboard to load so i can boot linux later on if i feel like installing that but for now i just want a different dash and to be able to play games from the drive instead of cd. any reply to this doesnt need to be in laymens terms im a computer science student in my senior year so i can understand most any terminology used for this specific system. all im looking for i guess is some guidance as to why the new dash wont load. by the way i did upgrade my xbox to live with the mech assault disc. I will try anything to get this to work without buying anything for it.

QUIKSILVERMALE

• Archived User
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2003, 05:24:00 PM »

that happened to me too

got friends xbox hot swapped copied all the files and folders on his xbox to the cdrive
put in my xbox rm -rf * (deleted it all)
then coppied all his folders back into mine xbox booted normally again
then i did the mechassult hack and its so incredibly easy i recomend it then i ended up using the audio exploit so there ya go man good luck

DanShapotsky

• Archived User
« Reply #280 on: December 20, 2003, 12:22:00 PM »

..lemme tell ya

..after trying all the hdd driver related exploits and damn near coming to the end of my tether, cos none of em worked (Win2k sp4 .net 1.1) and all that hotswapping was getting on top... I gave this one a go.... not quite as described... I pushed the bert n ernie with evox 3921 at the point of copying the files in, only renaming to .bak instead of .old (although that would make no difference)...

..another bit of info is that I booted a game, went to options, turned all the sound options down to zero, and left it 15 minutes... that ensured that the drive was open (midtown madness but I dont suppose it matters)..

..the xlinux boot works like a dream.. mounting and unmounting the drives was easy, the instructions are impeccable.. and upon reboot everything was perfect - set up ftp in seconds, modified the ini file to point back to the orig (only because there was nothing where it was pointing at that point) - have since installed a few things and everything has worked just fine.... if any of these exploit methods are to be trusted I'd recommend this one to any of ya's.... oh... my xbox is brand new, and would be a 1.3, 5150

..hotswapping is a dodgy thing for sure, but a bit of common sense and a steady hand and everything should be fine for ya... thanx v.much for this tut.... most excellent indeed dude  beerchug.gif  (thanx to me good mate h who pointed me in your direction too ohmy.gif )

Dan S
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]