xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19

Author Topic: Guide To Installing Free-x/evox Using Xlinux  (Read 2036 times)

scuzzell

• Recovered User
Guide To Installing Free-x/evox Using Xlinux
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2003, 02:20:00 AM »

Ok, an update for anyone who cares. Those files that xlinux said don't exist... well apparently they really don't exist. I just copied new files into the directories and now 2 copies are listed but only one seems to really be there. Strange... maybe the FATX support in xlinux is a little buggy.

Anyway, I'm back to where I started though. Phoenix Logo then black screen. As far as I can tell either PBL is not loading my BIOS (a modified version of x2 4977 non BFM) or the bios is not loading evoxdash.xbe... I'll have to mess with it some more.

All this messing around with xlinux was a really good learning experience. While this is not the first time I've used linux, I'm no Guru. The cool thing is I found out that xlinux has built in telnet, ftp, and dhcp daemons. So I think I might just replace my Windows ICS computer with this instead.  smile.gif

vonralian

• Archived User
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2003, 05:16:00 AM »

thanks for your help scuzzel, i was able to load it fine with mounting the files on a cd.

It loaded it up fine the first time, only problem is i chose to run the msdash from that screen where u can choose where you want to go, now i just cant play any games, if i choose to run the msdash it just keeps resetting after the flubber thing comes up and its the same if i choose to run dvd game.

Now i cant run my old games sad.gif

Have i done something wrong or is their a way to correct this?

MsuDU19

• Archived User
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2003, 06:19:00 AM »

when i try to mount my cdrom using the "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom" it gives me an error message saying that the disk is write protected and mounting it read only.  Any help please

vonralian

• Archived User
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2003, 06:23:00 AM »

thats ok, its just saying you cant write to the cd, you can still use the command
CODE
cp -rf * /xbox

That will copy whatever is in the directory to the /xbox

scuzzell

• Recovered User
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2003, 09:40:00 AM »

To boot your original games you don't have to load M$Dash, just boot with the disc in the drive. If you really want to get to the M$Dash this thread shows how to edit the file so it works.

JahRastaSoldier

• Archived User
« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »

ph34r.gif  Basically I fucked up my Xbox by editing the dash with WinXap or something like that. After that I backed it up.Then I formated my Xbox hard drive using the xhdprepa. Then my computer fucked up so I had to reinstall WinXp. Now I am left with a drive that is unlocked but not detectable by HDD Driver and FAT_X_Plorer. Can someone email me at [email protected] and tell me step by step how to put the dashboard files back on the xbox harddrive using Xlinux? Thanks in advance.

Sidewinder007z

• Archived User
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2003, 12:17:00 AM »

Right up front I gotta say Khirok....U DA MAN!!!

This XLinux Swap works great.  Your instructions made perfect sense and it worked perfectly for me.

I had a modchip that I fried so I went to the exploit to keep me going until my new modchip arrives.

Thank you very much....I'm a happy camper now!!!

Striider

• Archived User
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (scuzzell @ Aug 7 2003, 07:11 PM)
Yup, that'd do it. xlinux cannot recognze NTFS.

You're best bet is to compress the files using winzip into a .gz (gzip) file. This will probably make a separate ernie.xtf.gz, or default.xbe.gz or whatever for each file so just put them all on a floppy, everything should fit quite nicely as the 7mb .xtf file compresses down to about 10k smile.gif

Once you've done that you should be able to use the following commands in xlinux:
CODE
mkdir /zip
cd /floppy
gunzip *.gz /zip

That should extract everything but if not you'll have to do each file individually. You should be able to follow the rest of the steps from there using /zip instead of /cdrive

WOW!  THank you for posting this Scuzzel (and Khirok)!  YOU DA MAN!  Nowhere does the tutorial metion that the hda drive has to be fat32....I was going insane with file system errors.  Burned the files i needed to CDROM and POW...fixed it right up.  on the bright side, I learned a TON about linux lol.

Again..... NTFS is not recognixed by XLINUX.  You will get this error if you try to mount NTFS partitions:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda51, or too many mounted file systems

infamous420

• Archived User
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »

so i got evox on my hd perfectly not but now what how do i load apps and copy games to the hard drive do i have to ftp or is there other ways some one please explain

Striider

• Archived User
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2003, 03:39:00 PM »

Yes you will have to FTP them in or you can play then from backup DVD's using the Phoenix loader in your menu.

ZincOXiDE

• Archived User
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2003, 10:31:00 AM »

Quote from: Striider,Aug 15 2003, 09:36 PM
Quote from: scuzzell,Aug 7 2003, 07:11 PM
Yup, that'd do it. xlinux cannot recognze NTFS.Again..... NTFS is not recognixed by XLINUX.  You will get this error if you try to mount NTFS partitions:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda51, or too many mounted file systems

You can access an NTFS HD in xlinux without going through all those steps of unswapping the drive, rebooting, zipping files, re-swapping the drive, unzipping and copying the files.

All you have to do is:

1.  at the xlinux prompt type: cfdisk
     the xlinux version of fdisk will pop up.  In there it will list the NTFS drive.

2.  highlight the partition that you want to change (it will have NTFS beside it)

3.  Using the arrow keys highlight [Type] and press enter.  (A huge list of files system
    formats will come up. )

4.  Get the reference number for the file system you want (if it asks you to press any key to continue...  do it.)  (I believe for Fat32 the number is 07)

5.  At the prompt it will default to 83 which is a linux files system.  All you have to do is type "07" (without quotes) instead of 83.  (It will then bring you back to the main screen when you first loaded cfdisk.

6.  Using the arrow keys highlight [Write] and press enter.  (It will write the information to the disk.  You may get a message saying the the information was writted but the re read failed.  That's okay.  Just reboot the system swapping the xbox drive again and you will have access to your previous NTFS HD.

7.  mount the drive and copy files needed.  Then, redo all the steps to convert it back to NTFS.

That will make it accessible for you.  The wierd part was I thought that I would loose all my information but I didn't.  And I did it 3 or 4 times too.

Also, at one point I did it to a linux type of file system and I DID NOT have to reboot after because it had no error message after the [Write] step.

I immediately exited the program and accessed the drive.

Hope this helps!

-={ ZincOXiDE }=-   cool.gif

kevinlekiller

• Archived User
« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2003, 02:04:00 PM »

Hi can anyone email me a link for xlinux thx guys smile.gif

Jester6

• Archived User
« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2003, 01:12:00 PM »

Anyone mail me the link to it as well? Have tried #xbins, but can't seem to find it on there. Thanks.

Striider

• Archived User
« Reply #223 on: August 23, 2003, 09:52:00 PM »

Zinc...that's cool, I didn't know that was possible, thanks.

But I think that burning the files you need to copy to a CD is MUCH easier than risking changing formats back and forth on your main OS drive.....no thanks!

Jester6

• Archived User
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2003, 10:14:00 PM »

Has anyone got this to work on a machine with Kernel 3944, Dash 4920?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19