xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: Guide To Installing Free-x/evox Using Xlinux  (Read 2040 times)

scuzzell

• Recovered User
Guide To Installing Free-x/evox Using Xlinux
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2003, 01:21:00 AM »

I figured out a real quick way to unlock the HD, here's the steps:

- Plug the IDE cable from the PC into the xbox HD and boot the computer
- Wait until it detects the drives (it should see the xbox drive) then pause it
- Unplug the IDE from PC and plug IDE from xbox into HD
- Unplug xbox IDE from xbox DVD-ROM
- Boot xbox
- You will get error 12 because the xbox could not detect DVD-ROM
- The HD will make a noise and spin down, it is now unlocked
- Unplug IDE from xbox and hook it up to the PC again
- Continue booting into xLinux

I figured this out because I accidentally fried my DVD-ROM (literally, smoke and all) after I did the exploit and left the xbox off/unplugged for a while (because I had it apart) and when I turned it back on it kept rebooting because the clock was reset. I had to undo the exploit to boot M$ dash again and reset the clock then do it all again to re-do the explot.

I'm just lucky that there is a way to do this without booting to M$ dash or with a game. This should help you Blick Domain as it worked fine for me... i feel for ya with your busted Thompson Drive sad.gif

Blick Domain

• Archived User
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2003, 03:53:00 PM »

scuzzell

Thanks for that I'll give it a try.

The first time I tried to swap my drive it wouldn't stop spinning.

And since I can't load a game. I couldn't give that a try.

I really don't like the idia of pulling the IDE out a spinning drive.  sad.gif

MsuDU19

• Archived User
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »

Hey i have ntfs and it's not letting me do step e...the mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /cdrive

Anyone know how to mount ntfs with xlinux or if i burn bert and ernie to cd how would i go about doing the rest of the directions?

BitBurner

• Archived User
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2003, 04:48:00 PM »

Well I got evox in and it boots up great...although my LED is flashing red? I installed some apps to the E: drive on the xbox and they show up in evox.....but when I go to launch them it just takes me to the "xbox needs service" screen? Am I missing something here? I thought the hard part was over tongue.gif Any suggestions? Thaks in advance.

tjc2k4

• Archived User
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2003, 08:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (k-pax @ Aug 3 2003, 04:13 PM)
mount: special device /dev/hdc51 does not exist!

I'm going to assume you haven't used linux before...
In most linuxes(i'm thinking xlinux is not too much different, but I haven't had a chance to try this yet) your harddrives are identified as such:
hda = primary master
hdb = primary slave
hdc = secondary master
hdd = secondary slave
etc..

hda1 is the first partition on the primary master, hda2 is the second, etc..

If your getting an error trying to mount /dev/hdc51 then perhaps your xbox harddrive isn't recognized as secondary master.. maybe you should try mounting /dev/hda51 as I believe this would be it's position if you happened to hook it on the wrong cable...

Hope this helps.

MsuDU19

• Archived User
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2003, 08:27:00 PM »

Ok i am now using a fat32 comp to do this with but now when i hook everything up and go to bootup xlinux all it does is put out a line that says xlinux version bla written by bla and then it restarts...ive used this damn disk before and it showed the screen about how you will screw your xbox up using this smile.gif so any help is appreciated.

MsuDU19

• Archived User
« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »

ok scratch that last post i had the cdrom set to primary master and my hd set to primary slave

but now when xlinux loads up it says "loading /xlinux ..." and then it says "boot failed press any key to retry" im all out of ideas please help

scuzzell

• Recovered User
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2003, 02:36:00 AM »

wow... i gotta stop screwing with this thing and leave well enough alone...

I have now (somehow) manage to make a real mess of things... as if my fried DVD-ROM wasn't bad enough.

I decided to install PBL1.3 with E&B Reloaded but after copying all the files over and rebooting it displayed the Phoenix Intro then froze. When I rebooted it froze again. So i hotswap back into xlinux and try reverting everything back to normal. Only problem is xlinux displays some important files (like the .xtf files, and default.xbe) but when i try to rename or remove them it tells me that the file or directory does not exist.  sad.gif

I was smart enough to backup all my files, but I cant delete the old ones on the HD in order to do anything with the backups. So my question is (and I've been researching this for hours, but can't really find an answer), can i just reformat the /dev/hdc51 with FATX and copy all my files over, or is this just not an option. I know xlinux can read FATX, but formating is a completely different story... i've found serval commands in /sbin that relate to "making a filesystem" but i don't want to mess things up any worse than they are.

If anyone has any input I'd really appreciate it... otherwise I'll just try something and hope for the best...

~Scuzzell

billygo

• Archived User
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2003, 08:55:00 AM »

scuzzell, you shuold use bigfonts25.zip with PBL1.3. Just delete the old fonts from Bert&Ernie, and use the ones of bigfonts25.zip.

Excuse my english.

Saludines

vonralian

• Archived User
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2003, 09:23:00 AM »

ive got a bit of a problem, everything seems to work fine untill i get to this command

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /cdrive/

whenever i type that i get the following error message

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or to many mounted file systems.

Does anyohe know what the problem is?

scuzzell

• Recovered User
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2003, 10:17:00 AM »

vonralian, it most likely has to do with how you have the drives setup. Please post which drives you are using as primary master, primary slave, secondary master... or try leave the / off the end of /cdrive/.

billygo, I'd love to install anything on it, but like I said... I can't delete the old fonts. That's my problem. I have a complete backup of all the files, so everything "should" work if I can wipe that drive and copy over that backup.

I'm doing some extensive reading on the mkfs command before I go and jump into anything, but any help is still appreciated. As far as I can tell the command I need to use is:
CODE
mkfs -y -p -f fatx /dev/hdc51

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

~Scuzzell

vonralian

• Archived User
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2003, 10:24:00 AM »

i have my pc hdd on ide 1 primary and cd-writer on slave.

ide 2 is completely free and i connect the xbox hdd to it.

Could it be that my hard drive is formatted with ntfs for windows xp?

scuzzell

• Recovered User
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2003, 10:47:00 AM »

Yup, that'd do it. xlinux cannot recognze NTFS.

You're best bet is to compress the files using winzip into a .gz (gzip) file. This will probably make a separate ernie.xtf.gz, or default.xbe.gz or whatever for each file so just put them all on a floppy, everything should fit quite nicely as the 7mb .xtf file compresses down to about 10k smile.gif

Once you've done that you should be able to use the following commands in xlinux:
CODE
mkdir /zip
cd /floppy
gunzip *.gz /zip

That should extract everything but if not you'll have to do each file individually. You should be able to follow the rest of the steps from there using /zip instead of /cdrive

vonralian

• Archived User
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2003, 11:36:00 AM »

i tried that and it seems that xlinux cant read it, it says it wont find any files even when i try to just unzip 1 file at a time.

is ther a small linux operating system i could put on a partitioned part of the c: drive? and then put the bert.xtf etc on that?

oh, and the floppy is fromatte in fat file system. maybe thats a problem?

scuzzell

• Recovered User
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »

The floppy should have been mouted automatically during the boot sequence but it sounds like it wasn't. Try this before those other commands:
CODE
mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy

You could also burn the files to a cd-r or cd-rw and load them from /cdrom instead. Once xlinux is booted everything is loaded in a RAMDISK so you don't need to keep the cd in. To mount the cdrom use the following command:
CODE
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19