xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: All These New Hacks - Which Can I Use With My Bios  (Read 65 times)

Valhalla1

• Archived User
All These New Hacks - Which Can I Use With My Bios
« on: July 08, 2003, 09:34:00 AM »

Please help

I have a virgin 1.0 unmodified xbox, I have never played live or anything like that on it, I have no idea what bios or dashboard version is on there.

here is what I do know -

it was manufacuted 11-28-2001  so that tells me its 1.0

I boot to dashboard, I go to system info, and ALL I get is a paragraph of legal text, rolling over and over, I dont ever seem to get any version number

I dont see how it could have been updated since I've never even hooked up the ethernet cable

now, I want to use one of the many new hacks available, I have 007 and a Mega-X key...

I do not want to open my xbox

what I want, is the ability to play backup games,  Gentoo Linux for the Xbox,  and Xbox Media Player for divx, etc..

now, can someone tell me
1) what version my bios is since it does not tell me
2)  can I use any of the hacks with this original, way old very first bios/dashboard version
3) if I must update my bios, how do I do this, without having a live account.  I have only 1 game which claims to be live-capable, it is Splinter Cell.. I see no menu items in there to update my xbox

Morglum

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

cool.gif

NeoKast

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 10:18:00 AM »

Upgrade that dash and see, if that's not the problem, you probably have a 3944 kernel since it's one of the original Xbox's ever made.

Valhalla1

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 02:43:00 PM »

yes you are correct, I was confusing bios update with dashboard update...

I know you must solder the D0 to make the bios flashable, but I dont want to do this, since with these new free-x and similar hacks, its no longer needed really.

so, I need to update my dashboard

how do I go about doing this, if I do not have a live account and dont wish to make one ?

the only game I have which seems to work on live is Splinter Cell, so can I use this to update the dash?  or must I rent something else? (hope i dont need a live account for all this)

Valhalla1

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 05:09:00 PM »

so I hooked up the ethernet cable, loaded a live game, let it update my xbox, and now it shows in the system info:

K: 3944
D: 4920

now, I havent tried any hacks yet, I am waiting on my megax key, but will I be able to use one of the new hacks and combinations of programs, to do what I want : which is, to run Gentoo linux on the xbox, and play divx/dvd/svcd on the xbox - without installing a mod chip or flashing the bios (i.e. without opening the xbox)