xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Xbox Rebooting Over And Over  (Read 356 times)

NeoKast

• Archived User
Xbox Rebooting Over And Over
« on: July 07, 2003, 06:52:00 AM »

We may have a winner here!

So, does this confirm that when the clock resets you're FUBAR?

pavell

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »

yea i guess so sad.gif, what can i do to fix?

NeoKast

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 07:00:00 AM »

Can you boot a CDRW with EvoX on it?

With your X2 chip of course.

pavell

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 07:02:00 AM »

fuck!, i need some sort of custom bios to boot
the default.xbe dash, which is the evox dash with the modchip on.

if someone could helhp me out here

and no 007 wont't boot, i don't have evox.xbe on my HD
only the signed default.xbe (bert and ernie evox)

NeoKast

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 07:04:00 AM »

I realize that.

Can't you boot an EvoX boot CDRW with your chip on?

Whatup1049

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 07:05:00 AM »

What? I've had my xbox unplugged overnight and did the bert and ernie with signed evox hack and its all working good still! wink.gif

NeoKast

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 07:06:00 AM »

Ahhh! Uncertainties...

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 07:09:00 AM »

You probably don't want to hear this, but I'm going to confirm the above.  Just as when someone experiences a bad TSOP flash, you'll need to install a modchip with a hacked BIOS to boot.  

Modchips use BIOS replacement as their premise.  My understanding is that the BIOS is one of the first things to load, second only to the MCPX.  (BenJ, correct me if I'm wrong).  The dashboard exploit obviously uses dashboard modidication as its premise, so it is factoring in far down the line with respect to the order of events during a boot.

Obviously you can't boot an EvoX disc because the Xbox will look at the disc first and it will see no reason to execute the unsigned XBE.

Install a mod, and make an EvoX boot disc.  In the evox.ini, set JumpIfNoLink = No.  Good luck, and post any more questions.

NeoKast

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 07:11:00 AM »

He has a mod installed, but he deleted evoxdash.xbe. (foolish)

He should be able to boot an EvoX CDRW disc.

What? Your X2 won't boot an EvoX boot CD? You burned it as an XISO, right?

pavell

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 07:12:00 AM »

dude, i HAVE a modchip! an x2 pro, but it still wont boot anything when it is on, because i dont have the evox.xbe on there

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2003, 07:14:00 AM »

If you have a mod, then the clock shouldn't be an issue when booting EvoX.  Again, make sure all the settings are correct.  The filename on the disc should be default.xbe, not evox.xbe.  Also, make SURE to set JumpIfNoLink = No in evox.ini.

pavell

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2003, 07:17:00 AM »

well, ok ill try to boot evox disc again

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2003, 07:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (pavell @ Jul 7 2003, 11:17 AM)
well, ok ill try to boot evox disc again

Again, you may need to burn ANOTHER EvoX disc.  It doesn't matter if that EvoX disc used to work; your clocktime was not lost before.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 07:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (NeoKast @ Jul 7 2003, 11:15 AM)
I agree, you should be able to boot a CD/DVDRW with EvoX on it.

No, I don't think so.

There does seem to be an issue when the clock needs to be set. This may be a required BIOS hack in the future (Bypass clock check) - because the BIOS (I'm just working this out logically) must boot the Dash **no matter what** when the clock needs to be set, so it will ALWAYS go to the hard drive and attempt to boot it before any DVD-R or CD. This only makes sense from M$'  perspective, because they want the proper time before any games that might be dependent on it are actually run.

So the exploit is forced to run by the BIOS because the dashboard is launched, but the exploit does it's thing, patching the BIOS and respawning an app, BUT the BIOS then says "hey - the clock needs setting, so before launching this new app, we need to launch the dashboard and set the time" Soooooo it launches the dashboard, which executes the exploit, which patches and tries to spawn another app, to which the BIOs then sees an invalid clock, and then spawns the dashboard.... and so on and so on and so on....

Get that?

Initializing the clock is absolutely required before ANYTHING ELSE will be launched. It works for MXM and Evo-X and other dashboards because we look for timeservers and set the clock, plus those programs are considered "the dashboards" by the BIOS.

What needs to happen is the exploit needs to be coded to check the time state and set it with a default if it needs initialization.

maltloaf

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2003, 07:33:00 AM »

the xbox definately boots the dvdrom above all else because when i upgraded my hard disc in my original xbox, there was no dash on there, and that booted an evo-x dvd-r no problem. That xbox had been off and unplugged for days when I did it. This is going back to the very 1st evolution x release a while ago.

Anyway, I left my spare xbox unplugged last night to test exactly this (with the complex loader hack, but same thing really) and this morning, it re-booted like 10 times in a row before coming up properly. Why ? i dont know, but it did.

maltloaf
Pages: [1] 2 3