xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Plain English Free-x/evox Tutorial  (Read 1023 times)

caxtor

• Archived User
Plain English Free-x/evox Tutorial
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »

Anyone has try this tutorial with K:5101 D:4920??
And if there is to do something else can you please explain here?

THANKS!

tharien

• Archived User
« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2003, 11:24:00 AM »

I am an extreem noob to modding my Xbox in any form. I am, however, not new to modding/hacking in other various forms. My question is:
If i only go as far as getting evox to load (not instal) to use the FTP client to transfer data Via FTP, will it effect my box in any way perminantly?
I have no intention of using the phoenix hack, nor to i want to install evox. The only thing i hope to gain is an "Action Replay" with more control. (some games wont allow you to copy or transfer them to or from the HDD)
Also, will using evox as a temp FTP client allow me to transfer music from PC to Xbox (and vise versa)? and if so, what would be the correct format/compression of the music file i could use.
Thanx for you help in advance
smile.gif

Mordenkainen

• Archived User
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2003, 11:59:00 AM »

tharien,

If you use the gamesave exploit you can get ftp to your box with no changes to it. You will however need to get the special save to the HD and you must get the game that uses it.

You can use 007 Agent under fire or MechAssault for this.

You can try using your AR to get it to the xbox, but it is unreliable. It almost always works if you use a MS card in the AR cradle to do it though.

As far as soundtracks, there is a tool to add soundtracks from your PC. The format the xbox uses is WMA (v8 I think). There are converters, but I haven't used any.

There are a couple of catches:

1. You may not eject the game, if you do the tray will open halfway and the xbox will reset.
2. If you take one of these uncopyable saves off your box, you probably can't use them on another box. The saves are digitaly signed and there is a special signature for unmovable games that includes your xbox name or something.

Tools are available to resign saves, but don't work with everything.

Morden

inconspicuous

• Archived User
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2003, 02:25:00 AM »

Hi,

I have a unmodded 1.0 Pal xbox with K.1.00.4817.00 and D.1.00.4817.00 using: Bert (dated 08-07-2003), and AUF save hack (got it from Xbins.. don't know the date) and an original xbox memory card.

Followed insturctions for preparing the save with my hacked xbox and transfered the save to the mem card.

I used the AUF save, it wouldn't load from the mem card, however did load from the HD.

Got to Evox, FTP'd to the box, backed up C and E first, then proceeded to follow the instructions.

There was no fonts dir, backed up XBox Book.xtf and Xbox.xtf as instructed, replaced them with "bert.xtf" and "snuffleupagus.xtf" respectivley, I also copied the default.xbe into the dir (note: there originally was no default.xbe that I could locate.. I find that strange - there is however an xboxdash.xbe) I also created a dir called SKIN and placed 2 skins in there.

I rebooted the box with no DVD in the drive etc, and it just reboots, doesn't give an error code. It does however show a shaded green/webbed background for a moment prior to this.

It will not play backup DVD-R, however when I put the 007 AUF disc back in the drive, I'm able to boot again and get Evox up.

I do notice there is no evox.ini or items.txt file when I imagine evox would require these to work (didn't notice any of these noted in the install guide, did notice in another guide)
tried adding these, it didn't work.

Anyhow, I've since restored the original files back to the HD and it's working in it's original state.

Thanks.

inconspicuous.

slrhsapple

• Archived User
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2003, 03:00:00 AM »

I think you should run "backup" in evox and download the eeprom and the hdkey first (for emergency purposes).  the reason yours is not working is I think you need to update your dash to 4920 or higher.  check xbins for a copy of the new dash board.  not sure if they have it or not but give it a shot.  good luck man.  If you have the Slayer prep disk, there is a copy of newer dashboard on that cd too.

inconspicuous

• Archived User
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2003, 03:03:00 PM »

coolness..

I have a new slayer disc. will try the later dash.

strangley when I used the backup feature of evox (the one booted from the 007 save hack) it didn't place any files on my HD.

I might re-download everything and start from step 1, some of the files I were using might be a bit out-dated and have been sitting on my PC for a few months now.

thnx!!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]