xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: No Point For Using This Exploit--get A Modchip  (Read 262 times)

kdoggg710

• Archived User
No Point For Using This Exploit--get A Modchip
« on: July 05, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »

First off for any of you out there concerned about soldering and are worried about voiding your xbox warranty, then you really have no reason to mod in the first place.  Sure soldering might seem scary at first but I guarentee you that a modchip is so much more worth in both price and in longevity.

Reasons a modchip is more viable option:
-Costs less then the price of the mega-x key and 007auf/Mech Assualt
-permanent but temporary-by this I mean you can change to any bios(with the newer chips and flashing) but you can always disable the hardwired chip acting as if you have a non modded xbox
-more respect from modders(I know that not many care about this but you have to know where the scene came from and plus you'll learn a lot more about how the internal xbox works)
-any update by M$ can be worked around easier w/o needing to 007 it again

Now I know many feel this is the downfall of the scene, which I currently feel is true.  But I know that M$ will not discontinue the Xbox so there are no worries.  Sure new security features will be enabled but there are always work arounds and having an actual chip will be your best bet at staying in the mod "game"  Thanks for listening to my rant.

tem

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 08:49:00 AM »

i agree 100%.

enuf

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 08:54:00 AM »

I agree and I do feel like this is the downfall of the scene.  That's why I have 3 modchips.  (actually I'm selling the other two.. heh)

mknlb50

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 09:06:00 AM »

QUOTE (enuf @ Jul 5 2003, 05:54 PM)
I agree and I do feel like this is the downfall of the scene.  That's why I have 3 modchips.  (actually I'm selling the other two.. heh)

what modchips are you selling?

[FrEEzEr]

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 09:19:00 AM »

Well you can rent the games so it's cheaper, but i agree a modchip is better and that's why i have one.

Maybe this hack will get better if it enables backups on live which is a bad/good (you choose) thing  uhh.gif

mknlb50

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 09:23:00 AM »

another new thing just came out!

LOADER.v1.00-FX.XBOX-COMPLEX !!!!!!
Using a dynamic patching system !Loader offers you virtually the same features as most well established modchips - on unmodded Xboxes in software!

newb0x

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 09:47:00 AM »

With this exploit Modchips will soon become obsolete.  Just like they did Dreamcast.

XBLamer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 09:50:00 AM »

1, Take the cover off you void the warranty

2, Stuff up soldering the chip in you wreck your XBOX oh and you have no warranty

3, You can not restore a physically modded xbox to a original state with this mod a quick entery of a code say aabbaa and it is back in original state.

4, Mod chips can't go on live (this one you can and it works for now)

5, Mod chips need to be reflashed for new games. you can only flash a bios so many times and if you stuff up lose power etc xbox is toast.

6, I don't know how to solder

7, It is not your XBOX

8, Your mom dad won't let you (for the kiddies)

9, Cause all you want to do is run Linux on your box and not pirate games

10, Because selling mod chips is illegal and the guy who sells mod chips is usually the same guy who sells the pirated games.

psxpirate1

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 11:26:00 AM »

Yeah.. Mod chips are great!..HAH! I just had to say that.. I agree with you there.

TB_88

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 11:37:00 AM »

10, Because selling mod chips is illegal and the guy who sells mod chips is usually the same guy who sells the pirated games.

Wtf? Modchips is not illegal... If u sell a modchip with a legal linux bios it's 100% legal and the most good chips out there are preflashed with custom linux bioses...

STFU!!!! PLZ

thanx

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 12:10:00 PM »

Modchip is a more permanent solution. If MS$ changes something to improve security, there will almost always be a bios update to work around it...

However, these software exploits are just that. A simple dash upgrade, which could be required in a future game, say HALO2!, could eliminate all of these exploits. Chances are my chipped xbox will still work  wink.gif

Bottom line: These exploits are a temporary way around the security. The only way it would be permanent is if you locked your xbox down, never put in a new game, never connected to Live, etc. to avoid the inevitable update from MS$. What kind of life is that!  jester.gif

Dunny

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 12:13:00 PM »

are MS allowed to update anything on your XBOX without you accepting it first though?  

Installing Live update on the Dash gave you the option, it didnt just happen once you inserted a game.

and if it did happen whats to stop you FTP'ing all your old files back?

anyway at this point in time, it works great! biggrin.gif

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 12:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (xdreamer @ Jul 5 2003, 04:11 PM)
Well there are more than enough ways to stop the dashboard upgrade...

You can patch the kernel to make C write protected
or even simple, just fill C to the rim and the upgrade fails...

bye bye

How much larger do you think a new dash would be???  huh.gif

bbagnall

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (kdoggg710 @ Jul 5 2003, 05:46 PM)
First off for any of you out there concerned about soldering and are worried about voiding your xbox warranty, then you really have no reason to mod in the first place.  Sure soldering might seem scary at first but I guarentee you that a modchip is so much more worth in both price and in longevity.

-permanent but temporary-by this I mean you can change to any bios(with the newer chips and flashing) but you can always disable the hardwired chip acting as if you have a non modded xbox
-more respect from modders(I know that not many care about this but you have to know where the scene came from and plus you'll learn a lot more about how the internal xbox works)

Now I know many feel this is the downfall of the scene, which I currently feel is true.  But I know that M$ will not discontinue the Xbox so there are no worries.  Sure new security features will be enabled but there are always work arounds and having an actual chip will be your best bet at staying in the mod "game"  Thanks for listening to my rant.

For those who need a translation, this noobie joined on July 1, three days before the free exploit was released. He's just very pissed that he sunk cash into his mod chip, and now he feels like a dumb-ass. None of his arguments hold any water.

* Hard-drive swap is free, or if you don't want to open the xbox (which you have to with a mod chip) you can borrow a memory stick and rend 007 or Mechassault.

* You can also change the dashboard any time you want.

* That is bullshite. Who would possibly care if you run unsigned software with modchip or software?

* An update from MS can be counter-updated by the guys who released the exploit.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »

tongue.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3