xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Plea For Stance Against Dashboard Exploit  (Read 508 times)

bzchi

• Archived User
Plea For Stance Against Dashboard Exploit
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2003, 02:12:00 AM »

sure you can swap discs with a ps2 without modding

You can? only method I have seen for non mod swap was in early generation PS2's that required your PS2 having a trayswitch and an AR2 to boot, is this the method you are talking about?

powerben5000

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2003, 02:20:00 AM »

I have stated my reasons for why I think piracy killed the DC, it would be in your best interest to review the thread.

If you recall I've been steadily posting here since page 2, and I've been in debate with you since then.  If you had read my posts, you would know that I respectfully disagree with you, along with the reasons why.

I encourage *you* to re-read the thread, and I also challenge you to conclusively and logically prove that piracy was what killed the DC.  Saying that it "is no coincidence that the boot disc was released on date x and Sega discontinued DC on date Y" (or something to that effect) and leaving it there is not enough.  Correlation is NOT causation.  When you can prove this conclusively, please reply...

chukz

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2003, 02:24:00 AM »

great speech there...unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears.  

i think though that after a couple of weeks its going to be a matter of just putting a disk in and installign a few things and the Xbox will be able to play backups...hackers are smart.

Out of all of this the thing that will kill Xbox the most is if people can play backups on XBox Live, because currently that and the games are the only profit makers for M$ (the console has been in the red since it was released).  If you don't need to buy games to play Xbox Live then it could be trouble...

you may say "well with PS2 you can play online without buying games (using backups)" that's true, but you have to buy an online adapter, which i think $ony makes money on.

the point?  well its simple really, if this remains top-secret or requires anything beyond putting a disk in the XBox and installing programs and so on, then most of the people will not know what to do with it...the only ones that would do anything are the ones that can install a modchip (other than LPC mods, those can be installed by practically anyone) or the ones that have tinkered with their system (installed hardware upgrades/switches/etc...)

Now, on the other hand if it is a simple "insert disc and install and your set" then it could be trouble.  M$ has been known for its exploits...it has been seen in MS Messenger, IE, Outlook, Hotmail, and many more ...one would say "it was about time"...

In any case this does seem to be some troubling news indeed.  The idea of being able to play backups just by inserting a disc first...seems kind of reminiscent of a certain white Sega console that did not last too long.

I guess we can only wait and see right?

Cherry

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2003, 02:31:00 AM »

Maybe DC died because it was hell to programm a game for it?
So not a lot of developers where interested?

Rubbish. The DC was the nicest machine ever produced, from a development point of view.

if you want a complete no fuss solution - use a mod

Well... Using this technique, I could have an "unmodded" box running the latest X2 BIOS within an hour. But I have no need to do so, I think it's unneccessary, and I *do* think it's a bad idea.

I agree with you though, Ubergeek - there are a LOT more people with modded boxes than people think. In fact I can't think of anyone I know that owns some piece of tech, whether that be a DVD player, PSX, whatever - that isn't modded.

Lews Therin

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2003, 03:20:00 AM »

smile.gif

Remember, despite what hollywood says, most revolutions that don't "stay underneath the radar" are consigned to the history books.  Examples will be made.

Keep it small, keep it smooth.

This new hack adds nothing, it just takes away.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION. ph34r.gif

nObedienz

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2003, 03:36:00 AM »

cool.gif

*FUCK - I just toasted the pizza in the oven cuz' of this post... Double damn*

Jedi_Rainman

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2003, 05:01:00 AM »

The only reason I would MOD my Xbox would be for the reason to play Dreamcast games on it

nix2k

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2003, 05:47:00 AM »

QUOTE (Ubergeek @ Jul 4 2003, 04:04 AM)
i'd just like to add that this will not hurt the xbox more than its already been "hurt" (or helped in my eyes - remember how bad sales were BEFORE the first mod ?)

90% of those who want or wanted an xbox hacked have had it hacked - there will be a fringe of new users but thats about it

and to say that just becuase someone doesnt know how to solder so they wont get a mod - man thats so fucking naive - I cant fit new breaks on my car either, hence there are things called garages to do that shit for me

and for those that think the majority dont know about mods - wake up - modding consoles, dvd players , cellphones has been goiung on for YEARS - almost EVERYONE i come into contact with who owns a console knows about mods - and they ALL know "someone" who can get it done for them

the mod scene is much larger than some people give credit

like I said before this hack is just another exploit - sure you can swap discs with a ps2 without modding - thats why DMS3, MESSIAH, JUDAS, MXL , F14 et al still sell in the tens of thousands this very day  rolleyes.gif

Finally someone from the real mod scene speaks their mind.. in the best way possible tongue.gif

msn25

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2003, 05:48:00 AM »

mad.gif

but i guess time will tell...

Jse

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2003, 06:15:00 AM »

is it just me or is this exploit going to bring loads and loads of N00B's to the scene

Jse

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2003, 07:14:00 AM »

you saw th m$ because the fourums done let you right micr0soft

you have to replace letters to use it

TerrorShocked

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2003, 07:18:00 AM »

What the hell is the point of that?

TerrorShocked

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2003, 07:18:00 AM »

M$ ---- Hmmm you are right.... that is pretty strange

ja30278

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »

My two cents:

Of course this will hurt software sales. If I have a monthly gaming budget of $100, and pirating games is ridiculously easy, would I spend that $100 BUYING two games or renting twenty and copying them to the hard drive?

Piracy is controlled by a sliding scale: the easier it is, the more people will see it as worthwhile. Say what you want about how "easy" piracy is now; pretend that you are a "newbie" coming into this scene before free-X. You have to: figure what bios are and what they do, what evoX is and how to configure and install it, find a reputable modchip seller, take apart your Xbox (risking damage), learn to solder (if you don't already know), install the chip, flash it, plus buying and installing a new hard drive before you can really pirate games effectively. Not to mention the people that don't know networking, IRC, newsgroups, FTP, etc. It takes time and a certain amount of technical savvy to pirate games today.

I don't pretend to know enough to correctly asses the ramifications of this exploit; i.e. whether or not in will be possible to produce a "mod cd" that is self-booting and idiot proof, but if it is, I doubt that this will be "good" for the scene. Call me elitist, but I think that some things should be reserved for the technocracy.

I don't want to see the xbox library any more anorexic than it is; I don't want to see more 3rd party developers sign exclusively with Sony because of the lower piracy risk; I want Xbox2.

But.....then again, I don't hate M-icrosoft. I don't hate them for being successful. I don't hate them for being wealthy. I don't hate them because it's trendy. (In fact, my only real grudge with them is how HARD they make it to get rid of exchange server. <grin> )

<aside>

Please stop the 733t $p33|< crap. Learn to spell and to use grammer. Commas are also nice. A period once and awhile wouldn't hurt either.

</aside>

Beelzebud

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2003, 08:40:00 AM »

The most damaging thing is the ability to play backups, and trained games on XB Live.

If Xfree really cared about anything other than piracy they wouldn't have released this exploit.

Rationalize it all you want.  Deny it all you want.  This exploit is going to have a serious effect on the xbox scene...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6