xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Plea For Stance Against Dashboard Exploit  (Read 505 times)

2000ache

• Archived User
Plea For Stance Against Dashboard Exploit
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2003, 12:40:00 AM »

mad.gif

Rattle

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2003, 12:47:00 AM »

This hack in itself is NO danger at all for M$. At the moment it only loads linux but it will load games within hours (I guess). But since M$ will update the dashboard other live and with new games it will be defeated. For those who say they don't use live or games, I say they would bought a modchip anyway.

Of course I see some kind of bootdisc/installdisc coming anyway, I'm sure the wav-file exploit mentioned could make this possible :/

/Rattle

2000ache

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2003, 12:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (Rattle @ Jul 4 2003, 08:47 AM)
Of course I see some kind of bootdisc/installdisc coming anyway, I'm sure the wav-file exploit mentioned could make this possible :/

/Rattle

And you still dare say it won't hurt Xbox? God, where's your
sense for reality ? blink.gif

Rattle

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2003, 12:50:00 AM »

I said this hack itself isn't dangerous but the coming ones IS.

/Rattle

2000ache

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2003, 12:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (Rattle @ Jul 4 2003, 08:50 AM)
I said this hack itself isn't dangerous but the coming ones IS.

/Rattle

Then we agree this should never have seen the light off public day!

insertjokehere

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2003, 01:03:00 AM »

I too do see where the concern comes from, it is a shame that the mjority of gamers nowerdays are very fickle, prefer to gta over masterpieces like shenmue and deus ex. This will result in a fickleness for copyrights etc. I'm not sayign this as all gamers will copy etc. I am making a generalisation

Oh... and who needs a second thumbstick for the dreamcast when you have a keyboard and mouse (This was said before but I need to say it!!)

XbOxGoD

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2003, 01:04:00 AM »

QUOTE (bzchi @ Jul 4 2003, 04:15 AM)
Im saying if they can figure that out they can figure out how to install a mod. Simple as that.

To them it's not about opening your xbox or not.. its about playing Burnout 2 for 'free'

this is the shit i didn't want to hear.

as soon as this shit hits the fan the software pirates come out of the floorboards.

i hate this!

expect a patch in everyone next default.xbe that updates everyone's kernel

grr.gif

Loranga

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2003, 01:07:00 AM »

cool.gif

Potenza

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2003, 01:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (oriadd @ Jul 4 2003, 10:20 AM)
just to clear something up. maybe some of you have poor memories. Sega announced that they'd stop supporting the Dreamcast ™ within weeks or months of the release of the first self-booting games for download.  I don't feel this was just a coincidence. They'd been supporting systems for which they'd been reporting losses on forever.

Like SirHexx, I also know friends who spend as much on games and accesories for systems that have been modded as for those which they haven't modded.  

Whether Micr@soft pulls the plug on the XBOX remains to be seen. I'm sure they have something up their sleeve. ( or maybe just hope. I'm rather fond of new XBOX games)

Maybe DC died because it was hell to programm a game for it?
So not a lot of developers where interested?

WarDogz

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2003, 01:47:00 AM »

The people who will gain the most from this are counterfeiters. Software modified copies that will boot in an unmoded box..... its a fuckin dream for them. I see the warehouses in hongkong filling up now.

Fuck you Free-x

DuggyUK

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2003, 01:56:00 AM »

I think you are all missing the point..this hack is no biggie.

If someone wants to play pirate games they can get a modchip for peanuts (cheapmod). This is ANOTHER way...if they cant solder then they can use the 007 hack; which incidently is easier than this hack as getting the files on the xbox is simple that way.

I for one am happy this has come out. Power to the people and all that.... again is someone WANTS to pirate there are easier ways than this.

Ubergeek

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2003, 01:58:00 AM »

QUOTE (WarDogz @ Jul 4 2003, 10:47 AM)
The people who will gain the most from this are counterfeiters. Software modified copies that will boot in an unmoded box..... its a fuckin dream for them. I see the warehouses in hongkong filling up now.

Fuck you Free-x

this aint gonna happen - this hack is no where near this and 99% of noobs reading about this hack are so obviousley going to think this is how its gonna be

its not - if you want a complete no fuss solution - use a mod - which has been available from $5 - $50 now for over a year - so this is nothing new - its just yet another exploit

in fact from a legal point of view free-x have done all the mod manufacturers a HUGE favour wink.gif

powerben5000

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2003, 02:02:00 AM »

smile.gif

Im just trying to strike a comparison with this discovery and that of the Utopia Boot CD (the group, which I might add.. got shutdown during operation buccaneer for their efforts if I remember correctly)

I think you answered your own question.  If you're going to draw a comparison between DC's Utopia disc and this exploit, I would draw a comparison between PSX and Dreamcast - piracy was much easier on Playstation than Dreamcast.  You could do that old skool "Rent, Burn, Own" with little difficulty. Modchips weren't required on early models either (kind of like the situation occuring right now with XBox). Did the PSX Die?  Hardly...they had a ton of cheap and good titles that were tons of fun.

I don't have to prove that piracy didn't kill the DC...you have to prove that it DID (the burden of proof rests with the party making the positive claim.)

Ubergeek

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2003, 02:04:00 AM »

rolleyes.gif

bzchi

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2003, 02:10:00 AM »

I have stated my reasons for why I think piracy killed the DC, it would be in your best interest to review the thread.

As for PSX being able to boot with no mod... yeah in the 10xx series with a dodgy swap trick (similar to generation 1 saturn swap trick). Ask anyone that you know that owns a PSX if they have ever executed the no mod swap trick. The external mod did hit psx pretty hard, thus the 90xx series removing the serial io adapater.

As for Rent Burn Own.. sure its not as bad as psx, and its harder than DC... but a lot of the people that are too cheap to buy the games are also too cheap to hire them out.. The thing slowing XBOX down is that people don't have access to DVDR's now like they did to CDR's when DC was big.

I grow tired of this discussion however as I am not perticularly for or against, I just like people to consider what has resulted in other similar circumstances.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6