xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbox Dashboard Local Vulnerability  (Read 198 times)

powerben5000

• Archived User
Xbox Dashboard Local Vulnerability
« on: July 03, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »

blink.gif

woo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 06:33:00 PM »

This exploit does EVERYTHING

The code is there to play with.  Right now, it only does Linux, but with a bit of playing it can be used to run absolutely everythings.... apps/emulators/games....... you name it.  This exploit only needs to be run once to install too.

itsjustme

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 06:38:00 PM »

well it is pretty big from what i gather but i still think they handled it the wrong way.

sox007

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »

This is BOOT DISK level, (still need a memory card and 007 auf ext.(!one time!)) but unopened unmoded running of unsigned code.

XBLamer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 06:42:00 PM »

You use 007 to load the new font files. Then you are free to do what you want. You know longer need to flash the TSOP to run backups or anything else you want.

You can also use xbox live with backed up games or hacks or whatever (M$ will fix this in the next 24 hours if they have not already done so).

nautiazn85

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 06:56:00 PM »

Anybody ever thought about how difficult it would be to actually swap an HD without a modchip? Once you swap to a new drive, you don't have a dashboard... how are you going to use the new exploit?

It's the modchip that allows unsigned programs like EVOX to run so that you can format the new HD WITHOUT a dashboard hack.

With this new hack, I don't think you can prepare a new drive without a PC.

johnney5

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »

Hey, so if we combine this new exploit, with the new M$Dash hack (the launcher within msdash), we will be unstoppable? heh. I got a question tho, if we use a locked 120 gig hdd, wont the xbox only recognize 8 gigs if it does not have modified bios? Or....will this exploit remove this limit

krawhitham

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 07:06:00 PM »

QUOTE (XBLamer @ Jul 4 2003, 03:42 AM)
You use 007 to load the new font files. Then you are free to do what you want. You know longer need to flash the TSOP to run backups or anything else you want.

You can also use xbox live with backed up games or hacks or whatever (M$ will fix this in the next 24 hours if they have not already done so).

If they do fix it, what stops someone from using the 007 hack and coping and older version of the dashboard and all related files over M$s "new" fixed dashboard

powerben5000

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 07:13:00 PM »

Anybody ever thought about how difficult it would be to actually swap an HD without a modchip? Once you swap to a new drive, you don't have a dashboard... how are you going to use the new exploit?

I suppose you could still do a TSOP flash, but then you'd have to open the box to do that...kind of defeats the purpose...still a very interesting hack though.

I'm gonna sit back and watch this carefully, I wonder how MS will react or if they will do anything at all? .pop.gif  This seems too big to ignore.  A regular Pandora's Box if you will... blink.gif

emmpee

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 07:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (krawhitham @ Jul 4 2003, 04:06 AM)

If they do fix it, what stops someone from using the 007 hack and coping and older version of the dashboard and all related files over M$s "new" fixed dashboard

See, the 'fixed' dashboard won't let you use the exploit. That's why it will have earned the term 'fixed'.

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 07:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (PENTIUM75 @ Jul 4 2003, 03:18 AM)
How do these people get this smart? anyways, this is quite the hack and a pound in the ass for M$, in the near future it should be 007 or mechasault hack copy fontsound files and evox-> ms dashboard hack -> apps and backed up games.  I almost feel sorry for M$, but then I remember they're money grubbing whores smile.gif and they deserve it.

pop.gif

Keep in mind this could also hurt to good, honest game developers too... if too many n00bs look at this as an "easy" way to pirate games... (although not much easier than a modchip)...

krawhitham

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 07:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (emmpee @ Jul 4 2003, 04:20 AM)
QUOTE (krawhitham @ Jul 4 2003, 04:06 AM)

See, the 'fixed' dashboard won't let you use the exploit. That's why it will have earned the term 'fixed'.

how is a dashboard update going to stop the 007 hack?

Crypto

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 07:49:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

- Crypto

afon

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 07:49:00 PM »

sad.gif

midgetfighter

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2003, 08:55:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif
Quote"I can already see the influx of n00bs to the scene asking how to open the .rar files for the pirated games they downloaded...  dry.gif "Quote

Id just try searching for this forum for answers on the 007 and mechassult hacks first and go from there

I see this as a bad thing, M$ is going to be pissed that everyone who owns an xbox now has the potetial to pirate their games even if they can only fit 2 on their 8gb harddrive. I still prefer the old modchip better than flashing the tsop, Im also not look forward to mandatory dashboard updates if M$ do decide to incorporate this It will just be a pain in the Ass. One upside I can see to this is more people becoming interested in the scene (hopefully a good thing) as this could bring about more kick ass development.

I just hope this wont be the start of very bad things.
Pages: [1] 2