xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How To Update Dashboard To 5960  (Read 550 times)

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
How To Update Dashboard To 5960
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »

Lots of good information guys. I'm a f of SID. always have been, always will be. I respect Krazyie's Ndure along with Hexen's Disc. I havent used Ndure or Hexen's Disc yet. I downloaded Hexens Disc and the winRAR was a blank. Pissed me off. lol

Anyway, I now have a mint condition v1.6 with a Samsung DVD Drive that has Error 16 sad.gif Also I now have a v1.1 0r 1.2 that is softmodded but the PSU is shorted out I assume because it's not powering on anymore sad.gif So either I'm going to try to save either of these 2 Xbox's and get one running again or I'm keeping the Samsung DVD Drive and I'm tossing the rest in the trash and I'm going to purchase this Halo Edition Console I seen at the local Flea market for $80 and softmod it and upgrade the HDD.

Back when I first started modding consoles years ago, I used to try to save consoles, but now days, I don't like to hassle. Either I'll fix them with reasonable effort and after I can't,  move on and get another one.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »

Since I hate to see things go to waste, I'm sure that someone would be glad to take whatever leftover parts you have off your hands if you post them on Craigslist or even the B/S/T forum here, especially the motherboards since those still work.

This post has been edited by AZImmortal: Sep 26 2012, 04:00 AM

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(Infamous Ob @ Sep 25 2012, 07:00 PM) View Post

I downloaded Hexens Disc and the winRAR was a blank. Pissed me off. lol
Were you prompted for a password?

If not/if not related, you know that xiso format files' contents won't show up like a plain old RAR archive, right?

QUOTE(Infamous Ob @ Sep 25 2012, 07:00 PM) View Post

I'm a f of SID. always have been, always will be.
We know.  There's a reason (well, several) why SID, and to a much lesser extent, AID hasn't been recommended for going on seven years.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »

If anyone wants parts, PM me. I'm not going to bother with managing a BST right now. If the winRAR I downloaded had a hidden xiso, I'm going to be pissed lol. Lately, I haven't bothered with any of the Xboxes, but I maybe will today after work.

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »

So you bought an Xbox for $5 and modded it or did you fix your broken Xbox for $5?  It's not clear from your post.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Oct 8 2012, 09:24 PM) View Post

So you bought an Xbox for $5 and modded it or did you fix your broken Xbox for $5?  It's not clear from your post.

Sorry about the confusion. I bought another Xbox for $5 and Softmodded it. I also did a case-swap.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »

i cant believe people are still using SID..

any way..

you will really need to check if you have a shaddow c on that (i doubt it)
i would seriously recommend you update the softmod using hexen so you have a good solid ndure 1.1.1 based softmod with a good dash. and a shaddow C.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Oct 8 2012, 10:26 PM) View Post

i cant believe people are still using SID..

any way..

you will really need to check if you have a shaddow c on that (i doubt it)
i would seriously recommend you update the softmod using hexen so you have a good solid ndure 1.1.1 based softmod with a good dash. and a shaddow C.

SID is simple and it works. Enough said. I'll add a Shadow C and I DO NOT like Ndure, but I'll use it if I have to.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »

well the go for xbmc installer 3.2 if you dont want ndure.  sppv released that just recently.
hes got it so shaddow c now actually works. and its based off of SID, but has fixed a lot of errors that would make people like me angry when they saw people using sid.

they didnt stop with sid and move on to a diferent installer totally for no reason....

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »

SID and its offspring born by SPPV (xbmc installer 3.2 etc) all use Ndure fonts. I've verified with md5sum on the filesets and strings command on the files(tell-tale signs of rmenhal string appearing in the contents). They only differ on the configurations/versions of nkpatcher and its paths and treatment of shadowC which SPPV seems to have a newer method of unmounting.

Summary:
1. Ndure is the basic font exploit. Uberdash derived. Legacy of rmenhal, Ndure Protagonist etc.
2. Kingroach's , Krayzie's, SID , SPPV's all use different nkpatcher with different configs/versions.

A softmod consists of the font exploit and a kernel patcher/bios loader and some msdash files.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »

pop.gif Indeed.

SPPV

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 04:27:00 AM »

I now old topic but for anybody who comes across this in search of softmod info will the skiny on SID/AID/HQ fro the horses mouth.

SID
#1 SID did not properly implement the ShadowC, 9 times out of 10 it would fail  to unmount
#2 Typos in the installer script going up to 5.11 would cause issues on the install
#3 It requires a stock condition HDD to properly mod an XBOX

Fixes
#1 Starting with 5.12 (I re-did 5.11 to include it) the ShadowC requires an xbe in the SID folder to run. When given the unmount command it deletes this xbe and reboots, rendering the ShadowC moot. Replaces the XBE on remount/reboot
#2 Typos were fixed so now you dont get hit with ERROR when installing, and now also installs HD/Region free atch by default
#3 Stock files are no longer required. Everything needed is in the installer, so it can mod  a 4920  and does not require any kind of update after the fact. Once the mod is done you are running 5960

All fixes are addressed in SID5.12, XBMC Intaller 3.2.2 and AutoBuilder5.1

AID
#1 Requires so much to be cached before booting in many cases its rendered useless in a cold boot situation
#2 Relies on files on the HDD for redoing softmods
#3 AID 4.53 (latest) still used the un-fixed SID5.11 as its base so the ShadowC issue has continued

Fixes
#1 XBMC Installer caches almost nothing at boot up and runs via HDD or disc with 0 editing. So works great in a cold boot situation
#2 XBMC Installer has all required files built into the installer so does not rely on HDD files like AID
#3 Runs SID5.12 so ShadowC issues are fixed and works properly

As ldotsfan stated above all us softmod guys are the same ice cream just a different flavour. Far as I can tell Krayzie never went past NKPatcher 10 in his installers, and tried to make em as automated as possible to remove possible user error. We've always believed in full control to the user, which in the case of somebody who failed to do the research can leave you hanging. Ive fixed much of that with XBMC Installer and AutoBuilder but SID is still wide open and can seriously screw you if you dont use it properly.

Pages: 1 [2]