xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pros/cons On The Thompson Drive  (Read 189 times)

Dark_Legends

• Archived User
Pros/cons On The Thompson Drive
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2003, 03:00:00 PM »

I CAN NOT get this Thomson drive to read a disc to flash my chip....Kinda starting to piss me off...

I've tried everything, and folowed the tutorials to a T......

The furtherest i can get, is burning on a Imation CD RW, it will SOMETIMES start to load disc 1, most of time, it will stop reading it, and freeze...making me restart...

Any suggestions? I know there are numerous posts, but i'm just getting aggravated by now..

Dark_Legends

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2003, 03:04:00 PM »

Most of the time, it freezes at starting linux...

Just wanted to add this in ..

xboxistheshiznit

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2003, 05:02:00 PM »

i had the same problem when i installed my chameleon, to solve it i had to do the pot tweek on my drive.

Flagg3

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2003, 09:21:00 AM »

Dark Legends,

Have you tried using a Maxell CD-RW recorded at 4x or lower speed?  That combo has worked for me on every thompson drive I have ever used.

Flagg

Dark_Legends

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2003, 09:44:00 AM »

Actually, I had a big problem flashing my xcutor 2.1 lite, but when i used Maxell CDRW disks, it worked very well...and went first try...

Thanks for the person that said those work good =)

krackheadbill

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »

just make the choice between a bigger hd, dvd burner or samsung. the samsung is only worth it if you dont have the burner or big hd but why bother to pay $100 for it when you can get a 120gb drive for the same price.....plus the hd is guaranteed for at least a year unlike the samsung. it really doesnt make sense every1 should just keep the dvd drive they have

Elite

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2003, 10:03:00 PM »

You have to make sure its lockable first I bought a 120 gb hard drive and found it its not wd although my x2 reads it fine with evox Its a wd 120 gb 8mb I just installed it in my comp and formatted my 80gb from my comp its a maxtor and it works just fine only 1800 rpm difference of the 7200

olah

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2003, 07:28:00 AM »

what about Fujifilm 4x CD-RWs?

The only thing i Need to do is install EvoX with the CD-RW,  glad i bought a 2.1Pro.

I know there's media info out there.  but I would like to ask here.  Searching can be a bitch sometimes.

But, I heard good things about Fujifilm CD-RW's.  I heard memorex doesn't work.  Not really sure about imation.  I don't think i've ever bought any of that brand in my life.    shit I don't even know any other brands.  Verbatim I can't even find it locally here in this hick town.  maybe office depot might have them.  

Heck why am i asking this (2nd Thought, forgot i'm gettin a 120gb).  But still you will be neeing CD-RW's or DVD Burner(too poor right now to have one) to burn Evox dash or other types, and some tools.

so overall, I hope the Fujifilm CD-RW's I bought will work. All i need is evox installed.  Unless the CD's wanna be dropped kicked.

subdigital

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2003, 09:49:00 AM »

For all of you who say playing cd-r's is a non-issue... think again.  Everyone uses their xbox's for their own purpose, so don't assume anything...

I have a v1.0 xbox with a Thomson drive, and it read an hp cdrw burned at 4x with no probs... (it was the only cdrw I had laying around, about 3 years old)... maybe I got lucky I don't know.

Obviously we aren't playing games on cd-r, b/c most won't even fit.  The reason I want cd-r support is because I have about 200 divx movies burned on cd that I don't want to reburn.  I use XBMP but most of my movies are on cd-r.  The different formats I have are Sony, Imation, Memorex, and Philips....   I couldn't get XBMP to read any of them.

Should I do that laser tweak I read about?  It looks kind of dangerous...    What about replacing the drive with a samsung?  A couple posts up suggests that it's $100.  That's a little ridiculous considering what it is....

rzyzzy

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2003, 04:43:00 PM »

For all of you who say playing cd-r's is a non-issue... think again. Everyone uses their xbox's for their own purpose, so don't assume anything...

I didn't - I responded to several "flames" regarding the thompson drive, based on my personal experience.

Should I do that laser tweak I read about? It looks kind of dangerous...

No you shouldn't, and yes it is dangerous.  Very easy to hose your drive, and not likely to make it read cdr's.  I've done the tweak - there was very little improvement.

What about replacing the drive with a samsung? A couple posts up suggests that it's $100. That's a little ridiculous considering what it is....

There are folks who state the Xbox samsungs don't read cdr either.  There are people who say they have thompsons that do read cdr.  And yeah, $100 is *way* too much for a dvd drive, especially when the only functionality you might ( or might not) get is reading cdrs.   I personally don't care about reading cdr media in my box, because I can ftp videos to it, and there aren't any interesting games that fit on cdr anyway.

Fisben

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2003, 07:21:00 PM »

I have a Thompson drive and mine works great I can even read cdr smart and friendly media so far every thing I have thrown at it has worked great.

thomes08

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2003, 09:45:00 PM »

i have a thomson, and all i can say is..... long ass story...... i just my hand burned by the power supply cause the damn thing wouldn't read a "properly" burned cr-rw i needed to flash my chip.  I wish i had a samsung...
thomes08

tbirdguy

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2003, 01:58:00 AM »

to all the people who "need" to have a cd to copy evox from ... look for the tutorial on how to hook up a comp dvd or cd rom into it, just for the purpose of loading evox to the hd, then u put back orignal drive and ure fine smile.gif
Pages: 1 [2]