xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Chip Off By Default  (Read 88 times)

isdanreally

• Archived User
Chip Off By Default
« on: June 20, 2003, 03:08:00 AM »

I've searched the forums for quite a while, and while I did find shanafan's FAQ on xbox live usage with a mod chip quite informative, I still have one question.

Is there a way to have the mod always be off unless an alternate dashboard is detected?  Possibly by way of it being enabled first, trying to boot using a different dashboard (possibly on CD) and then if it's not found, reboot using the normal bios.

Essentially, I am asking for a way to ensure that there is no way to accidently have my live account banned.

Thanks.

methadone_pretty

• Archived User
Chip Off By Default
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 05:53:00 AM »

theres nothing that currently exists that can do that, it would be possible with something software switching i think. (omg, did i just find a use for being able to swap banks in evox?)

It'd have to boot using a BIOS thats been altered to not boot from the DVD drive, as that would just boot the game straight off. Unless it picks up evox on there. Then it should boot that, otherwise it should swap banks to the one with the retail BIOS and then reboot itself.

So i suppose, its possible to do. I wouldnt know how tho!

Scan-C

• Archived User
Chip Off By Default
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 06:07:00 AM »

momentary push button wired to the mod on/off point.you have to push it when you power on the xbox and the mod will be used.if it's not pressed the orig bios will boot.

WiLD

• Archived User
Chip Off By Default
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 10:53:00 AM »

Pretty easy to accomplish what your talking about with a simple switch mod.  (Not a momentary switch)

Since most newer BIOS hacks will detect evoxdash.xbe FIRST, then look for xboxdash.xbe, you can install EvoX without disturbing the original MS Dashboard.  

When you flip the switch off, the TSOP BIOS boots, and loads to the stock MS Dashboard just like an unmodded box.  When you flip the switch on, the hacked BIOS on the mod will see EvoX is installed and boot that instead of the stock dash.  If you're really paranoid, you can just boot off a CDRW with EvoX on it.

As far as "accidentally" going on XBL with the Mod on, your idea won't really work.  Since you normally boot off an original game disc to play XBL, a MOD will boot it exactly the same way the TSOP would.

Just wire in a switch, and maybe a nice LED to indicate your Mod is on.

This post has been edited by WiLD: Jun 20 2003, 06:08 PM

isdanreally

• Archived User
Chip Off By Default
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »

Just wire in a switch, and maybe a nice LED to indicate your Mod is on.

Hmmm....I like the idea of that.  A nice red light indicating "Stop, don't use XBOX live if the light is red."

hippo

• Archived User
Chip Off By Default
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2003, 03:12:00 AM »

Obviously you never have visited www.clevermod.com. Your xbox already has 2 external switches. On my design if you power on from the eject button you get MS bios and if you power on from the power on button you get cromwell/evo bios and if you hold the power button in for 3 secs you disable the chip's write protection and can flash via evox etc. Also comes with mod on indicator that's built in and of course could be made external.

I look at those ungodly over done external switches released recently and think if 1mb chips were worthwhile I'd design a chip to change banks, flash, disable etc and still no external switches, but, they arent worthwhile yet so I won't.

You can get the switch mod for LPC cheap mods OR 29 wire homebrews at the above captioned site, it's free in the pcb page's related files. Maybe a solar powered hovercraft that's just big enough to hold an external switch box and hover next to the xbox while you're playing will be our next project.... naw fug it. Seriously those things looked crazy if you can bring one over and keep a straight face while showing how it works c'mon over.

hip out

hippo

• Archived User
Chip Off By Default
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2003, 03:19:00 AM »

Obviously you never have visited www.clevermod.com. Your xbox already has 2 external switches. On my design if you power on from the eject button you get MS bios and if you power on from the power on button you get cromwell/evo bios and if you hold the power button in for 3 secs you disable the chip's write protection and can flash via evox etc. Also comes with mod on indicator that's built in and of course could be made external.

I look at those ungodly over done external switches released recently and think if 1mb chips were worthwhile I'd design a chip to change banks, flash, disable etc and still no external switches, but, they arent worthwhile yet so I won't.

You can get the switch mod for LPC cheap mods OR 29 wire homebrews at the above captioned site, it's free in the pcb page's related files. Maybe a solar powered hovercraft that's just big enough to hold an external switch box and hover next to the xbox while you're playing will be our next project.... naw fug it. Seriously those things looked crazy if you can bring one over and keep a straight face while showing how it works c'mon over.

hip out