xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xboxhdm Questions V1.9  (Read 52 times)

pakrat

• Archived User
Xboxhdm Questions V1.9
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »

I have a softmodded box that I have ftp over contents to my pc, to use xboxhdm.
I also have a new WD1200JB 120G HD to upgrade to, i know not very good but it was free, in exchange for some pc work.

1.There are 3 different locations with eeprom.bin.
Which location would be the correct location ? E/Apps/Linux backup, E/Tdata, E /Udata.. or does it matter.

2. Using ultraedit to look at the eeprom.bin files none of them are identical to each other? Ive used config magic 1.6 to backup eeprom and ftp that over to pc in eeprom folder.

3. Using option 1 from xboxhdm create drive from scratch, builds the partions correctly, but it generates its own HD UNLOCK key, which looking at the xbox unlock key doesnt match, I know each drive will have its own unique unlock key
but how if reading the correct key from eeprom.bin, and then using the DOS unlockx, unlockhd, hdunlock can you get the key that the xbox expects to be there? Reason for this is ive tried all 3 different eeprom.bin files generated new cds
and tried the process 3 times and none of the eeprom.bin files has the correct unlock key that the stock HD has, and when putting the NEW HD into xbox it gives error 6 which is unable to unlock HD.

Dont know what step im missing, but very frustrating... any help would be much appreciated   <_<

psyko_chewbacca

• Archived User
Xboxhdm Questions V1.9
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »

Ok first make sure your eeprom.bin file is in the eeprom folder when you create the xboxhdm iso.

After when you boot Xboxhdm, on the main menu, select create hdd pass from eeprom file and then create a floppy with lock/unlock tools. Create your xbox HDD from scratch but keep it unlocked. After your xbox HDD is created and still unlocked,boot your pc from the floppy and use DOS commands to get to the program that will lock your xbox hdd (sorry I don't know the names of the programs by heart but I'm sure you'll find out,  they're names are like unlock.exe, lock.bat...etc). Good luck

pakrat

• Archived User
Xboxhdm Questions V1.9
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(psyko_chewbacca @ Jul 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
Ok first make sure your eeprom.bin file is in the eeprom folder when you create the xboxhdm iso.

After when you boot Xboxhdm, on the main menu, select create hdd pass from eeprom file and then create a floppy with lock/unlock tools. Create your xbox HDD from scratch but keep it unlocked. After your xbox HDD is created and still unlocked,boot your pc from the floppy and use DOS commands to get to the program that will lock your xbox hdd (sorry I don't know the names of the programs by heart but I'm sure you'll find out,  they're names are like unlock.exe, lock.bat...etc). Good luck

If you re-read my post ive already tried 3 different eeprom.bin files burnt 3 different cd's, ran thru all 3 different setups, ran the dos commands to lock the HD
but after putting in the xbox gives error 6 which is the error for unable to unlock the xbox. The ORIGINAL soft modded xbox has its specific unlock code for the xbox HD, in copying over all files into correct folder and recreating the iso, using it to make a new hd with the eprom bin file in its folder, it still isnt correct...

Dont know what im doing wrong... :blink:

pakrat

• Archived User
Xboxhdm Questions V1.9
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »

bump to keep current  :P

Soullar

• Archived User
Xboxhdm Questions V1.9
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »

As it's a backup, all 3 eeprom.bin files should be equal ....

However .... some versions of Evox make incorrect backups.

To solve :

* use the scripted locking feature of xboxhdm. After booting from a floppy, type : lockhd -a  (don't use the other tools/commands!)
* If you're not sure which eeprom.bin to use, simply use all of 'em and see which works (if any)

or

* make a fresh backup

or

* use trial and error with all 3 eeprom backups and try to unlock your original hd with it (unlockhd). If it unlocks (check with unlockx) it's the right key.

--- next time use a rewritable disc so it won't cost you that many discs ...

There's a tut in my sig that may help.

pakrat

• Archived User
Xboxhdm Questions V1.9
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 07:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(Soullar @ Jul 20 2005, 06:19 AM)
As it's a backup, all 3 eeprom.bin files should be equal ....

However .... some versions of Evox make incorrect backups.

To solve :

* use the scripted locking feature of xboxhdm. After booting from a floppy, type : lockhd -a  (don't use the other tools/commands!)
* If you're not sure which eeprom.bin to use, simply use all of 'em and see which works (if any)

or

* make a fresh backup

or

* use trial and error with all 3 eeprom backups and try to unlock your original hd with it (unlockhd). If it unlocks (check with unlockx) it's the right key.

--- next time use a rewritable disc so it won't cost you that many discs ...

There's a tut in my sig that may help.

:popcorn: took a few hours but tried every eeprom i could find NOT one of them would unlock it. When running xboxhdm option 1 build new drive from scratch, everything goes fine, does what it says generates new unlock key for NEW HD, but then using option 6 generate password using eeprom it never gets the correct key that ORIGINAL HD uses.

Tried making new backup using configmagic V1.6 and using that as well but it too
wouldnt unlock original xbox HD, as the unlock passwords are different.

TOTALLY at a loss tas to what to try now...

THANKS for your help so far  :beer:

Soullar

• Archived User
Xboxhdm Questions V1.9
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »

Option 1 (build from scratch) never generates an unlock key. It just makes partitions, formats those and copies stuff.

It seems your eeprom backup is corrupt.

* Get a different version of Evox and make a new backup. (to be save, delete all eeprom.bin files from your xbox, so you won't mix 'em up, yes, back 'em up on PC first)
* The eeprom backup funtion of Krayzie's installer (2.8) makes correct backups. No need to start the installer, just use the backup option.
* No need to keep rebuilding that drive. Just make the floppy and (un)lock.

pakrat

• Archived User
Xboxhdm Questions V1.9
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »

Thanks should have clarified the option number its 1 that builds the drive and 6 that generates the unlock key for the new hd..

Somethings messed up for sure, after checking evox I have the lasest version of it installed. I'll ckeck xbins for Krayzie's installer (2.8).. thanks for the tip on that.  B)

pakrat

• Archived User
Xboxhdm Questions V1.9
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »

OK now maybe dumb question but how do i get just the eeprom backup function to work on xbox? I have Krayzie's 2.8 unzipped to folder on PC HD, can i just ftp over the contents of that to xbox ?