xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Replacing Evox With Unleashx Or Avalaunch  (Read 43 times)

ibnuts

• Archived User
Replacing Evox With Unleashx Or Avalaunch
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »

I have a v1.6 Xbox loaded with EvoX by using Krazyie's UXE installer with a 007 save game file.  I decided I'd like to upgrade my HD, so I bought a 160 GB Seagate.  From another thread I posted, cmiz was kind enough to tell me I should use Chimptools (since I only have a laptop).  

Unforuneately, it turns out the only way Chimptools is compatible with my v1.6 Xbox is by using telnet (something about Chimptools being linux-based doesn't work with the video settings or something like that).  Telnet will supposedly enable me to see whatever is going on with my Xbox on my computer screen (kind of cool, really).  

This is what my next question was about, which no one answered to.  I finally realized on my own after fiddling with the telnet (logged in on my xbox) as well as googling, that EvoX is very limited for telnet access.  So, I searched around for other dashboards that would allow me to telnet to the Xbox (so I could use Chimptools) and found that both UnleashX and Avalaunch support this functionality.

Here's where I'm coming to my problem.  I loaded the same 007 AUF save game file I used to softmod originally.  It then gave me the option to "uninstall softmod," or something to that effect.  I clicked "yes" then "yes" again, possibly a third time (most of these times the boxes were empty, I just kept clicking yes) and it got to the screen with the progress indicator.  The thing started working and then it gave me an "Error 122," I believe it was (sorry, I'm at school now and I was up all night with this).  I tried several times.

So, I guess given all that my questions are:

1.  Which program will give me sufficient telnet access to run Chimptools (or, if no one knows, at least which is more robust)

2.  Will I need to do anything to get rid of my current EvoX/UXE softmod?  If so, how do I do it.  I have a backup of everything but my Shadow C, if that helps.

3.  How do I install UnleashX using Krazie's UXE installer, given that I already have EvoX on there (if anyone thinks that UnleashX is better for Telnet).  

OR

4.  How do I install Avalaunch (preferably someway to put it into Krazie's UXE since that works so well and I already have 007 AUF and Action Replay), given that I already have EvoX on there (if anyone thinks that Avalaunch is better for Telnet)

If anyone's made it this far, sorry for the length and thank you very much.

cmiz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »

try downloading the free telnet client "putty", i like that one.

basically, run the chimp tool xbe. your screen will go fuzzy. once you telnet in, you should get the menu as it would appear on the TV screen.

make sure your up addresses are set to work with each other, the username is root password is xbox.

that's basically all i've got.

to replace the dashboard, replace the default.xbe file in the dashboard folder on E with the xbe from whatever dash you want. remember to include any config files that come with the dashboard.

This post has been edited by cmiz: Apr 11 2005, 07:50 PM

ibnuts

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »

Can I restore my original EvoX install by copying over all the backed up files I made right after installing it?  Because I get an error both trying to uninstall or install it.  Just in case, thought I'd ask.