xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What Is Legal And What Is Illegal?  (Read 243 times)

Dark Drake

• Archived User
What Is Legal And What Is Illegal?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »

Wrong because flashing bios and eeproms to dss cards is legal in canada. hacking satellite tv is legal and why wouldnt doing the same methods on the xbox be...

and i was just kidding about the incest thing...

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2004, 01:14:00 PM »

QUOTE (Dangerously_Cheesy @ Dec 9 2004, 10:12 PM)
For medicinal use and it is decriminalized for very small amounts in BC and other western provinces.

To say everything is legal in Canada would be dumb...Piracy of software/code is illegal.

Does that include me trying to avoid installing modchips for people by flashing their systems insted? If so what about using bioses such as the iNDs? Do you know if it's legal to use in Canada, being built with XDK and all?

"Because you CAN in CANada" lol jks

Dangerously_Cheesy

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »

The whole sattelite thing is a stipulation, Mexico has the same stipulation.

Dark Drake

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (xboxjason @ Dec 9 2004, 10:17 PM)

"Because you CAN in CANada" lol jks

Lol i love it. but this whole process is kind of related to dish network hacking so i say go for it until you get caught no one will now what legal and whats not.

BlackRanger3d

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »

What end-user agreement? I don't recall agreeing to or even seeing an end-user agreement before purchasing my XBOX.

Ha this is a legal area that has not been tested yet. It is just like the EULA that you accept when you buy a video game. The argument (never tested) is that unlike ANY other contract which you read prior to purchasing the product video game EULA’s are hidden and sneak up on you. O well unless you have lots of money to pay lawyers to argue this the EULA stands.

Anyway I think the guy in Washington got into poop because he was selling the boxes with games on them.

Dangerously_Cheesy

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2004, 01:34:00 PM »

tongue.gif

xokia

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2004, 01:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (Dark Drake @ Dec 9 2004, 10:04 PM)
Not sure about canadian laws. but everythings legal in canada. Xbox Hacking, dish network hacking, direct-tv hacking, Incest, Beastiality. everything legal in canada. so you might be right (No Offense)

Actually satelite hacking IS illegal in Canada. There was a major player up there in Canada vciper.com that got taken out in your courts.

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »

This is one thing that I ask everyone that complains about the posting of "illegal" files and such.  What makes them illegal?  The fact that the mods or admins say so?  This thread has cleared up a few things, but brought up more questions at the same time.

Earlier in this thread, when the MS Agreement was brought up, the only thing I could think of was "What MS Agreement?  I didn't see or sign shit!"  I don't believe that MS would have a case in hell if they were to take anyone to court over having a modded Xbox.  Especially if thier only argument is the User Agreement.  I can see if you are pirating games, but that is another bag of potatos.

I honestly think that all of the files needed to mod an Xbox should be out in the wide open for everyone to see.  There isn't anything illegal about having those files, in my opinion, but backing up and selling games is illegal.  If you are going to say "Well the code is based on MS's", so, who cares.  Who's code is MS's code based off of.  It is all a waterfall effect.  And like I said before, I don't remember reading or signing any agreement that said I can't do whatever I want with my Xbox and the files located therein.

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »

Im reading now that cromwell was modified to load the xenium os???
So doesn't that mean now theres a bios legal to distribute once modding?? think about it, if cromwell is legal, and will now execute the xenium os, isnt that basicly a bios which eventually allows for xbox to be modded, legally? or no?

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »

Also, sat hacking in Canada is now Legal again.  Judge overturned the previous law.

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2004, 02:09:00 PM »

QUOTE (001438 @ Dec 9 2004, 11:07 PM)
This is one thing that I ask everyone that complains about the posting of "illegal" files and such.  What makes them illegal?  The fact that the mods or admins say so?  This thread has cleared up a few things, but brought up more questions at the same time.

Earlier in this thread, when the MS Agreement was brought up, the only thing I could think of was "What MS Agreement?  I didn't see or sign shit!"  I don't believe that MS would have a case in hell if they were to take anyone to court over having a modded Xbox.  Especially if thier only argument is the User Agreement.  I can see if you are pirating games, but that is another bag of potatos.

I honestly think that all of the files needed to mod an Xbox should be out in the wide open for everyone to see.  There isn't anything illegal about having those files, in my opinion, but backing up and selling games is illegal.  If you are going to say "Well the code is based on MS's", so, who cares.  Who's code is MS's code based off of.  It is all a waterfall effect.  And like I said before, I don't remember reading or signing any agreement that said I can't do whatever I want with my Xbox and the files located therein.

Awesome point.

All I want to be able to do is mod an xbox system in Canada by flashing the TSOP chip, and be able to charge for the service. I'm just trying to figue out if that is possible, without breaking Canadian law.  I think every Xbox owner should have the XBMC, it's amazing, and deserves to be used by many! If people use their modded box to put games on the harddrive, thats their problem and MS, is it not?

Dangerously_Cheesy

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »

Just because ignorance stops ytou from understanding that illegal code was used to make the homebrew applications doesn't mean it's legal.

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »

Honestly, I would just do whatever you want.  I think the only problem you'll ever have is making sure you don't say the wrong thing on here.  I have flashed many TSOPs here in the States and I am not the least bit worried.

Dangerously_Cheesy

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif LOL

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2004, 02:26:00 PM »

sleep.gif

Thanks for all your wise advise guys. So you all are pretty much saying "It's illegal, do it anyway" lol I'll think about it biggrin.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4