xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: D0 Point Hell!  (Read 374 times)

timkiller

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« on: September 13, 2003, 05:07:00 AM »

I had same problem and my xbox is f***ed. Though i may have done something else to wreck it.

beeboy

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 05:12:00 AM »

I fear that I may be slowly destroying my Box. Time will tell. If it is dead, then next time I will pay to get it chipped! I take my hat off to anyone who can do this.

Noodlez

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 05:19:00 AM »

had hell with it also, ended up breaking a trace, fixing that then useing the altnative point witch was much easyness

beeboy

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 05:26:00 AM »

Danmed if I can find the rear point. How did you go about fixng the trace? ( not very optimistic am I? )

moistness

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2003, 05:26:00 AM »

yeah take the board out and use the alternative d0 point on the bottom! much easier imo! smile.gif

Mr_Evan

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003, 05:34:00 AM »

ohmy.gif

You would be surprised how much the D0 can take before you fry your box. I was a NoOb ( and I still am  biggrin.gif ) when I first put my x2.2 lite chip in.

The LPC Pts were easy because the box I had already had solder. However, that D0 took me over two and a half hours to get on right. My problem was that I could not get the wire to stick. Im guessing that if I would have preped the pt with some flux or used a "third hand" to hold the wire in place while I soldered the whole experience would have been much easier.

Anyways, one attempt after another left me with no success. Finally, I got the damn thing to stick. That was until of course my freaking roommate came over to see what I was doing and thought the wire didnt look to secure and proved it by tugging on the wire and yanking the wire out! Bastard!

After that I was on a mission and after only a few more attempts I got it on again and this time it passed my roommates tugging test, which by the way could have yanked the D0 off the board!!!

Another interesting thing to note here was when I turned on my box and got the update BIOS screen for the first time I was only able to get the screen to stay on for a short while. After about 5 seconds the screen went blue. I could not get the BIOS screen to come back on. All I got was FRAG. So after a while I got upset and started trying all kinds strange remedies ( using a different TV, different cables, rain dance, etc). Eventually, I just clicked the eject button and the BIOS screen came back!

Which just goes to prove anyone who wants to solder a chip can, no matter how long it takes to get the D0 pt secured.

RonJon1

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 06:35:00 AM »

I definately feel for you. There have been many of us in the same position. I spent at least 3 hours with much - blood, sweat and tears until I finally took the damn board out and went the aternate D0 route. Which took all of 5 min. My hat goes off to those soldering GURU's who have done it with no problems. But if I mod another board, I'll definately do the alternate D0 next time. Good luck and I hope the wine helped biggrin.gif  beerchug.gif

animex2

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003, 06:42:00 AM »

why solder, when you can tape!!!

ive sucfully put in about 5 modchips, soldered the wires for all the LPC points, and when i got to the do, i put the wire in the little hole, and put a pice of scotch tape on it to keep it there =P

The d0 point has never came loose on any of the boxes!!!

Mine has had it for 7month, my box alaways moving for lanpartys and stuff, and no problems!

chinmi

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 07:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (animex2 @ Sep 13 2003, 09:42 PM)
why solder, when you can tape!!!

ive sucfully put in about 5 modchips, soldered the wires for all the LPC points, and when i got to the do, i put the wire in the little hole, and put a pice of scotch tape on it to keep it there =P

The d0 point has never came loose on any of the boxes!!!

Mine has had it for 7month, my box alaways moving for lanpartys and stuff, and no problems!

yup... i did it too with my x2.2pro and 2 of my friends cheap mod biggrin.gif

rahula

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003, 08:30:00 AM »

It not that bad. May be I had taken electronic classes and had some experience with soldering. I use a small pin to scrape off the D0 point to make it little bit larger. Then precoat wire with small drip of solder. Then All I did was just a tap on the wire with clean solder iron over D0 point. That is. Its strongly attached after i put electric tape over it.

beeboy

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2003, 09:42:00 AM »

I could hardly see the alternate point, I didnt want to scrape aruond it too much in case I broke a trace. I think I probably did that on the other side trying to make the hole a biy bigger.
With hindsight, a magnifying glass would of helped.
if I can't fix it, then next time I'll pay to get it fixed for sure.

rahula

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2003, 09:54:00 AM »

yes. But then you are going to do unnecessary removing motherboard, extending the wire to reach D0 in the back and reassembling the mobo. It's not that difficult using front D0 point. I know the D0 point is so small. But compare to PS2 solder points Xbox D0 is just nothing. Have a steady hand and be patience.

ChrisF

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2003, 10:06:00 AM »

Heat the wire first - touch your solder to the wire and some should flow on.  I like to get a nice little bulb on the wire first.

Now with plenty of lighting touch the wire tip w/ bulb of solder to the D0 point.  Heat the wire again even going so far as to touch the little bulb of solder from before.  The bulb and solder should flow down onto the D0 point.  The D0 is relatively isolated so don't worry if the bulb appears as big as the hole itself.

I had never soldered before and have managed multiple D0 points now using this method.  I've actually never missed the D0 on the first try and had more issues with LPC points for whatever odd reason.

Hope that helps some - I think the hardest and most frustrating part is just lining everything up and keeping steady.  I tend to rest my hands and arms on a table for better stability.

Scrawny MuTT

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2003, 10:21:00 AM »

Here's how i do the d0 point, works everytime and is a solid connection, i took an old sewing machine needle, i took a pair of Vise Grips and clamped the tip of the needle tightly which scratched the needle a little, gave it a bit of a groove or texture. I put the tip of the needle in the d0 point and spin it a little to get rid of anything loose, then with my FINE tipped soldering iron and the solder in each hand i touch the d0 quickly to put a BIT of solder in there, then i do the needle bit again to get anything out thats not stuck in there. I repeat this 3 or four times until there is a visible amount of solder on the point, wait a minute or two to let it cool completely then i dip the wire in flux and hold it to the do point and put the soldering iron on the wire for a split second and there it is, i can lift the mobo by the wire...works perfect everytime and it take about 5 mins total....hope this helps.

beeboy

• Archived User
D0 Point Hell!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2003, 10:36:00 AM »

Thanks for the advice, the scratched pin sounds like a good idea. I figured that if I removed the chip the Box would boot up as normal, so I'm concerned that it's F&%*ed.
I'll post back tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 3