xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Newsserver Service - Please Answer  (Read 53 times)

opjose

• Archived User
Newsserver Service - Please Answer
« on: October 13, 2002, 06:46:00 AM »

I've been posting like crazy about www.newsfeeds.com and it's 9GIGABYTE per DAY download limits.

-SEARCH- on newfeeds for more info.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2002, 08:28:00 AM »

With the 156/yr "Premium PLUS" plan you have access to the EXE server that has a MINIMUM of 2 months on all the CD.IMAGE groups.

That only difference between the "Premium PLUS" and "Unlimited" plans is the "Unlimted" server, which IMHO is not worth it.

The BASIC plan is -not- worth it either as you DO NOT have access to the "good" servers.

The difference between Basic and the Premium PLUS is not a lot considering the 9gig/day cap and that you are still paying 120.00 per year.

So for 40.00 more you get all the "good stuff". For 10/mo you are only getting at the more fragmented "news" servers.

I should have told everone considering this to stay away from the Basic and Premium plans and go directly to PremiumPlus. Newsfeeds is not worth it otherwise.

Believe me it's a -VERY- big difference in what you see!

forcelite

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2002, 10:40:00 AM »

I have a quick question reguarding newsgroups in general. If I post on say easynews, can people on newsfeed read my posts? I am not sure if it is some huge database that has access points via these providers, or does each provider have a big database of thier own that none of the others can use?
thanks

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2002, 10:42:00 AM »

DO -NOT- post, repeat, DO NOT post on the newsgroups!!!!!!!

Please read this thread:  http://xbox-scene.fx...=18&t=7937&st=0

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2002, 06:40:00 PM »

Newsfeeds basic is not worth it in my opinion.

The basic account is only a little better than most ISP's.
Even "Premium" does not cut it for me.

The "Premium Plus" is the bargain.

bluespot

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2002, 09:09:00 PM »

smile.gif  You've got 1 year to use up your 96 GB and you can renew at any time, uploads/header downloads aren't counted, a.b.c.i.x has a 2 week file retention and downloads are somewhere in the area of 5 megabits/sec (depending on your connection of course).

Only 1 server though, so you may occasionally find yourself asking for fills, but in general completion is very good.

I used to use usenetserver.com.  I strongly advice that everyone stay away from them.  When I left there were very serious talks of a passive UDP by several large usenet providers due to spam and mismanagment.

*edit*
I just saw the post by Malibuman, so I'll elaborate more about why I left uns (usenetserver)

poor retention
a.b.c.i newsgroups had at best 4-5 days retention...it was usually lower.  Really huge groups like a.b.s.m.c and a.b.c.i only had 2-3 days.

sorry, no news today
UNS has 3 servers, but they went down more often than a Windows ME database server would.  I'd been a member for 3 years before I canceled, and I say that maybe only 6 months of that time was totally trouble free.  They had a nice bug for at least half a year where a file would have all its headers in place, but when you tried to download the bodies, guess what, a couple would come up missing!  It was dubbed the 'disappering headers bug' in the UNS support group.  Anyone else remember that mess?

Less for more
The reason that I stayed with them through all that mess was the fact that they were dirt cheap!  150 annually bought you 13 GB/month, but due to a bug in their accounting software (at least for my account) downloads were not tracked...so basically it was unlimited usage!  Downloads were usually absurdly fast too, I was able to pull 4 MBytes/sec (32Mbits!) on a good day.  So just a little insight into how the company works:

UNS Engineer: There's a major bug in our accounting software that is going to be *very* expensive to fix.
UNS Managment: Lets change our usage plans to unlimited usage so we don't have to fix it!

They apply this logic to everything they do, me thinks.

forcelite

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2002, 09:13:00 PM »

I really wish someone would say "yes" or "no" reguarding my question if all the newservers have the same stuff on them

BIOYAM

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2002, 09:26:00 PM »

QUOTE (forcelite @ Oct 13 2002, 12:40 PM)
I have a quick question reguarding newsgroups in general. If I post on say easynews, can people on newsfeed read my posts? I am not sure if it is some huge database that has access points via these providers, or does each provider have a big database of thier own that none of the others can use?
thanks

All ISP & News providers have access to all newsgroups. All posts made to a particular newsgroup will propagate to all other servers worldwide. However, it all depends on what each individual ISP or News Provider decide to make available to it's subscribers. For the most part, the more popular binary groups will be on both of the feeds you mentioned.
BIOYAM.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2002, 09:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (PrimeSteel @ Oct 14 2002, 03:19 AM)
Yes.  In theory.

The same posts are available for all newservers to "pickup" however often some posts get "lost".

So Yes all newservers can get the same posts however all newservers do NOT have the same posts.

Prime

YES!

And here is the very crux of the problem.

(and another reason that people should not post to the groups, except for maybe fills without being "around" for quite a while and seeing how it all works!)

Most CHEAP servers provided by the ISP's don't pick up all the posts, or "age" them off so quickly (7 days is VERY quick in my opinion!) that they are almost worthless.

I'm signed up with 3 big commercial providers, and there are a LOT of variances in what ultimately appears, when it appears and (drum roll please) what gets CANCELED!

Posts can get canceled for various reasons, and some servers even block the cancel requests.