xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Things You Must Know About The Xbox:  (Read 1295 times)

ChefBooyadee

• Archived User
Things You Must Know About The Xbox:
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2004, 12:18:00 AM »

If you use an upscan converter (also known as a VGA Box sometimes), you can watch NTSC or PAL stuff using a computer monitor.  Same thing with most TV cards for PCs - plug your video into it's video inputs, and set your video standard in your TV software manually.  Gotta be careful with some of those cards though - most H/W encoding cards, and lots of PVR/TV applications will introduce a second or two of delay, which totally kills any decent gameplaying, unless you're simulating drunk driving with Burnout or something.

Naturally, you'll still need a modded box(because of Region coding), but this way you can get around the NTSC/PAL problem.

-chef

sonicyouth

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2004, 10:15:00 PM »

Hey guys well as u can see i am the biggest noob here and wish to know whats a mod and how do i just get to play online fast and easy with my xbox all this stuff really gets to my head but cant understand please someone help a newcomer out?so Email to me a [email protected] uhh.gif  unsure.gif

AdemoS

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2004, 09:27:00 PM »

Hey thanks alot man, answered just about every question. Though a friend of mine supposedly got some kind of windows 2k running on his. I'm sure I'll get blasted with posts saying "not possible" or the like.

But netherless, I've never been a fan of opening up my system to mod it. Always ended up breaking it. So I guess that Linux deal is the only way to go without modding?

Purpose=playing different kinds of video files+playing game backups on DVDR
Stats=v1.0.4034 thompson

So if anyone reading this has anwers, or thinks I should move the post to a seperate thread, let me know and I will.

Druchii

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2004, 06:58:00 AM »

GREAT, just what i needed,thank god i didn't start playing my Xbox in the bath... phew smile.gif

This is probably THE best intro to a new area of exploration that i have ever had  laugh.gif

Thanks guys smile.gif

GameDTX

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »

Quote from: AnThRaX,Feb 2 2004, 04:19 PM
ben, ur kindda wrong, their is a gc emulator for the pc, its still in beta stages, if they can do it for the pc, why the hell cant they for the xbox?  wink.gif
IF you want to see things at <1fps, then yes, it's possible to emulate the GC on Xbox.

Seriously, performance will suck in no uncertain terms.

Running a full-blown GC emu on a PC will require the latest and greatest - which has the Xbox outclassed by 4 times the clock and 6 times the FSB, 1GB of RAM, and twice the bandwidth available form the hard drive.

Emulating the GC is not practical on the Xbox, and never will be (same goes for PS2 and Dreamcast). We are lucky to have N64 - and even that's got difficulties, due to memory issues, and the GC is faster, in some ways, than the Xbox in processing power (having followed the Xbox).

Practical emulation generally requires a ten-fold increase in processing power on the target machine, and what we have is, at BEST a 1-to-1 relationship. NOT GONNA HAPPEN. [/quote]
TOLD!  laugh.gif

[/quote]

hehe 1fps, still could be, prooves my point.

joebarbs

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2005, 08:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(BenJeremy @ Sep 24 2003, 11:59 PM)
  • Wanna save your xbox and keep it running cool? This is VERY important, but I have NEVER heard it mentioned on this forum.

After you are done modding your xbox, or touching the MoBo, you should IMMEDIATELY use an ELECTRONICS BRUSH with ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL to clean the oil/grease from the components that was transferred from your fingers/skin.

You should make sure the CPU, the NVIDIA GPU chip and the CONEXANT chip are extra clean, as these are the chips that are most likely to burn out due to heat.

Oil from your skin causes "hot spots" on the chips, that will cause them to fail prematurely.

I just felt it was about time we had a post about this (since so many people are having overheating problems that are causing damage to their xbox.)

I am ordering supplies from Radio Shack for my upcoming X3 chip mod install.  I looked for an "electronics brush" but couldn't find anything.  Does anyone know if Radio Shack carries this, and if so, can you provide a link or product number?  If radio shack doesn't carry it, where can I find it?  Also where can I find Isopropyl Alcohol?

Thanks!!

Dragon_Gusto

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(joebarbs @ Jan 6 2005, 11:05 AM)
I am ordering supplies from Radio Shack for my upcoming X3 chip mod install.  I looked for an "electronics brush" but couldn't find anything.  Does anyone know if Radio Shack carries this, and if so, can you provide a link or product number?  If radio shack doesn't carry it, where can I find it?  Also where can I find Isopropyl Alcohol?

Thanks!!

Isopropyl Alcohol is the same as rubbing alcohol and can be found cheap at any pharmacy or grocery store

Lord Veramax

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2005, 07:25:00 AM »

instead of using alcohol to clean xbox components wouldn't it be easier just to use latex gloves, or would using them cause static electricity?

This post has been edited by Lord Veramax: Jan 23 2005, 03:27 PM

Iceman2500

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

Intel P3 733MHz

Actually it's a Celeron; the P3 has 256K of L2 cache, which the Xbox CPU doesn't have: http://www.xbox-linux.org/

greekthunder

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »

I am new to this site, and I just wanted to say thanks for answering many of my questions. beerchug.gif

D3m3nt3d

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

I am happy to say I just read every one of them facts and FAQ's.

Do I graduate to something or another now?

Orangebud(UK)

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2005, 05:54:00 PM »

I would just like to say thanks for this post !!!

Being new to all this, it is nice to see a concise, in depth explanation of the basics for M$'s lovely console.

Now I can get onto asking some proper questions.

Respect to the man !!!!

cool.gif

Zamees

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2005, 06:59:00 AM »

This post spawns back to 2003. Even though its old, its still very helpful to us noobs. Thank you Benjeremy.

quicks9000

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »

Man i wish i had read this b4 electrocuting myself and frying the xbox power supply, then managing to fuck up a SOLDERLESS yes i said solderless modchip and completely fry my entire xbox.  Its been a pretty crappy day huh?

tuckerdwz2025

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2005, 09:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(TrUnX @ Jan 27 2004, 07:14 PM)
Umm, i have windows ce running on my xbox quite smoothly...  blink.gif

Maybe if you read a little further you would have seen that he said that it was possible to run windowsCE....dumbass.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4