xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: What DVD drive do I have?  (Read 1001 times)

GnuBeest

• Archived User
What DVD drive do I have?
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2003, 09:54:00 PM »

It all depends on the particular piece of recordable media as to what you're going to get to play well in what drive.  Overall, the general concensus seems to be that the Samsungs have the best compatibility and reliability.  The Thomsons, while maybe not necessarily having the worst compatibility, certainly are the least reliable of the bunch.

Having said all that, probably the most compatible and reliable (if done properly) solution (that still plays retail games) is the Samsung 616 mod, which seems to play darn near everything you throw at it.  I only modded one to replace my dead Thomson cheaply, but many use it because it not only can play retail games without chip mods but is also very liberal in the kinds of recordable discs it can play well.

tekkdrone

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2003, 07:40:00 AM »

Just a quick note, Philips DVD+R 2x work like a charm in my xbox, I seemed to have some issues with TDK 4x's. I am currently using a samsung drive.

JantRead

• Archived User
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2003, 06:31:00 AM »

I just wanted to add something to this list. I have a philips drive in my Xbox and thought I was going to have to get a new DVD drive for my Xbox or purchase a new DVD-RW drive because I have a DVD+RW drive and all of the DVD+Rs I tried didnt work. The only media that I got to work with the philips drive was CD-RWs! I gave it one last chance and tried Sony DVD+Rs and it worked. I tried eight other brands and thay didnt work. I hope this can help someone that has the same drive and burner format as me and I hope it can save them some cash because I shelled out some big bucks tring to get this to work.

I think that you just solved my problem bro!!  I have a phillips dvd and have been using dvd+R with nothing working.  I am going to the store as soon as it opens,  Thank You!! beerchug.gif

wacco

• Archived User
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2003, 07:37:00 AM »

I think the whole thing is a little funny..
I have got a thomson drive, and the only media I have tried that does not work is Kodak cdrw..

My friend has a samsung, and it does not read TDK CDRW,EMTEC CDRW,EMTEC DVD-R or verbatim cdrw...

The only thing that we get it to read is some cdrw's named something with silver in it's name..

I cant remember the name.

joe1031

• Archived User
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2003, 08:50:00 PM »

I've got a LG 4040B combo drive.

I bought a spindle of cheap dvd's (50 for 32 canadian).  To this day, I havn't had a successful burn with any one of the discs.  They also claim to be 4x but the max burn speed is 2x!

So I bought a couple of Ritek 4x dics.  They work like a charm and burn in 12-15 min.

Slightly more expensive than the per-disc cost of the spindle, however it seems to be a reliable, high quality media.

On a side note, I have a Samsung.  My friend also has a samsung, but he can read all my discs flawlessly... whats the deal?  Even drives from the same manufacturer can have different reading abilities?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]