xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: What DVD drive do I have?  (Read 1032 times)

{later}

• Archived User
What DVD drive do I have?
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »

Here's my list of DVD drives:

Thomson TGM600: DVD+R, DVD-R, CD-RW (NO CD-R)
Samsung SDG-605: DVD-R, CD-RW, CD-R (NO DVD+r)
Philips (The old one?): Can play all, but it depends on the media, some DVD+R don't work, but an other brand does work, and so the same with all the DVD/CD types.

I have one of the first xbox'es in europe, so it is one with a Thompson, but it works wonderfully well. It read every DVD I give it to him, and doesn't make much noise.

Now I've tried a samsung from a friend of mine, and it makes more noise, and it does NOT read DVD+R, not any brand, it immediately says: Unknown sad.gif

And then we have philips, 2 friends of mine have these, and alot DVD media do not work for them, only some, that really sucks, you buy a 5-pack and then they don't work.

Best for me is the Thompson, why use a Samsung when it cannot even read DVD+R?

mickeyX0N3

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2004, 04:47:00 PM »

I am using Platinum CD-Rs 80 min and Platinum DVD+Rs
on my crystal xbox with philips drive (august 2004)
works perfect !  <

procoprio

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (djboogie @ May 26 2004, 08:51 PM)
So far my samsung xbox drive has only failed to read 2 types of media both being dvd+r (memorex and sony)
I have found 6 dvd+r brands that DO work, and every dvd-r and dvd+rw I have tried work.
So far no cdr has failed to read That i have tried.
Its by far the best drive, Ive modded 16 xbox's now, with various drives, none of the (retail xbox type) drives come near the samsung.

what are the 6 +r brands?

whiteb

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2004, 10:56:00 PM »

Xbox Serial number broken down

Made in China
Production line 3
week 13 of 2003.
Version 1.3
DVD Drive - Samsung. mate brought over a game on a princo DVD-R, Xbox refused to even boot.  So we copied the disk onto Ritek DVD-R... perfect.
Seems the DVD drive has taste..
TV System PAL.
HDD 10GIG Seagate.

Modded with Xbit chip running Xecuter2 bios, replaced with 80GIG 7200 WD HDD.

omegabullit

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2004, 09:10:00 PM »

I have an Unmodded box, and the only thing ive tried on my thomson are DVD-Rs (it might have been +R, not sure) of my stepdads dvd backups, and everyone has worked perfect.  though, cd-rs dont work, so until i can ftp, my xbox music is limited to store bought cd's (i dont own any cd-rws, nor do i kno if they work)

Zod5000

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »

i've got the new samsung dvd drive in my xbox 1.6 (made in june 2004).  and its pretty iffy reading cd-r's.  Couldn't read memorex or maxell cdr's, but read these cheapass cicero discs i bought from futue shop a few years ago.  

so i'm guessing its really picky on the cd-r's.  That kinda sucks, but with it netowrked up to my ftp and the fact it'll play dvd-r's fine and cdrw's fine it doesn't really matter.

well it does cause i have lot of live concerts on cd i like to listen to, and if the xbox could play them i could put my dvd player in the bedroom.

i guess i should also note so far the drive hasn't had any problems with the cdrw discs (LG, YAMAHA, and a HP discs.. all of which came with old cd burners).  dvd+rw maxell's work great.  and i use ritekg04's and maxell's with a TYG01 (taiyo yuden code) and they all work fine.

I got some memerox (withj a prodisc03 media id code), when i run of out my maxells i'll be interested to see if the samsing reads 'em. They're supposed to be good discs (prodiscs) and they're pretty good for their price.

Maseo

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2004, 12:03:00 PM »

OKay now im confused for sure...

Reading througout this topic i've seen many people with samsung drives, and the 'other tray' thingy.
Here's my strange story;
Like a year ago i sent my Xbox back for repairs, replaced the DVD drive.
It swallows everything i throw at it but the most strange thing is that my Samsung drive had a Thompson tray!

I cleary read SAMSUNG on the DVD drive , and well I opened the DVD-drive and saw a Thompson Tray..

WTF ? blink.gif

voodoochild

• Archived User
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »

hi,

was wondering if anyone knows which CD-R's or CD-RW's are compatible with the Xbox Thompson drive.

A link to a list or just some recomended brands would be great - cheers

jorns

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2004, 03:05:00 PM »

as all people can se it's kind of hard to get a Samsung drive (T/F).

What kind of DVD drive is the Philips one, is there a way to to buy one and then modify it so it will work in a XBOX ( with originals) like we can do with the samsung dvd drive?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2003, 04:17:00 PM »

I'll have to move this one to the FAQ forum

POSTMARKER: WHATSTOCKDVDDRIVEDOIHAVE

MOD EDIT:  Adding in updated image links, old URLs were dead. -Xeero (07.16.03)

Philips...
(IMG:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terrymcginnis/xbox-dvd/philips.jpg)

Thomson...
(IMG:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terrymcginnis/xbox-dvd/thompson.jpg)

Samsung...
(IMG:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terrymcginnis/xbox-dvd/samsung.jpg)

This post has been edited by HSDEMONZ: Aug 22 2003, 04:24 AM

Cheerio

• Archived User
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2003, 05:01:00 AM »

worst one is thompson.....best = samsung.

DrFrreezz

• Archived User
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2003, 06:40:00 AM »

Cheerio Posted on Mar 6 2003, 02:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
worst one is thompson.....best = samsung. 

that's really just an opinion.

I have a DVD+RW burner, so Thompson works great for me (since it is the only one that can read DVD+)

ybaig123

• Archived User
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2003, 06:08:00 PM »

i would have to disagree that the worst is tompson...cuz when i had a tompson it read all my cheap dvd-r, but not cdrw...now i have a philips...all it reads is cdrw...and none of my dvd-r  ... so yeahh...if it came down between tompson and philips..i would go with tompson

Joe123

• Archived User
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »

yeah, i got a thompson. It reads almost all cdrw brands, and all dvd+/- r/rw that ive tried. I even got it to read a cdr that had music on it that i copied to the hd (but it went very slow).  

mekaone

• Archived User
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2003, 07:50:00 AM »

I just wanted to add something to this list. I have a philips drive in my Xbox and thought I was going to have to get a new DVD drive for my Xbox or purchase a new DVD-RW drive because I have a DVD+RW drive and all of the DVD+Rs I tried didnt work. The only media that I got to work with the philips drive was CD-RWs! I gave it one last chance and tried Sony DVD+Rs and it worked. I tried eight other brands and thay didnt work. I hope this can help someone that has the same drive and burner format as me and I hope it can save them some cash because I shelled out some big bucks tring to get this to work.  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7