xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: What DVD drive do I have?  (Read 998 times)

moep

• Archived User
What DVD drive do I have?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 05:54:00 AM »

I've had 5 boxes so far, and in my point of view, the NEW Philips drives are just as good as any of the Samsungs. I'd never want to own a Thomson-Drive again, though. Same thing for the old Philips drives - they were horrible.

The new Philips drives (from the 4th Q of 2003 and on) will read anything I throw at it though - I've tried 6 different CD-RWs, they all worked. I tried 4 different CD-Rs, they all worked. DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs... they ALL work! The new Philips drives are just as good as the Samsungs, IMHO. I haven't found anything that it won't read so far.

gibbut

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2004, 11:21:00 AM »

i have 3 modded boxes in my house, 2 have samsungs and one phillips.

samsungs will play almost anything, phillips is a contankerous peice of crap!

will hardly play anything!!!

troy

phreakffs

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004, 03:55:00 AM »

QUOTE (moep @ Mar 15 2004, 03:54 PM)
I've had 5 boxes so far, and in my point of view, the NEW Philips drives are just as good as any of the Samsungs. I'd never want to own a Thomson-Drive again, though. Same thing for the old Philips drives - they were horrible.

The new Philips drives (from the 4th Q of 2003 and on) will read anything I throw at it though - I've tried 6 different CD-RWs, they all worked. I tried 4 different CD-Rs, they all worked. DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs... they ALL work! The new Philips drives are just as good as the Samsungs, IMHO. I haven't found anything that it won't read so far.

How do I identify it? I got mine for christmas 2003, so it could very well be a new phillips!

jaehoodva

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (The LukeMan @ Feb 19 2004, 07:24 PM)
Thomsons suck disc i had one wouldnt let me flash my bios install evox from slayers disc so i bought a samsung thomson suck i tried 15 media of cd-rw !

i got a thompson drive too and io cannot flash my bios it is really pissing me off and i realyl odnt want to go an buy a new xbox

ibilisi

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »

Hey all-

I just bought a new Xbox and It looks like I have the Philips drive.

SHould I return it?  I'm looking to mod it out and only use backups while keeping the originals safely tucked away (seriously).  So I would like it to read Ritek G04 dvd-r or other medium quality media.

Lemme know if you have a sec.
Thanks
G

xxZ0NExx

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (ibilisi @ Apr 11 2004, 02:51 AM)
Hey all-

I just bought a new Xbox and It looks like I have the Philips drive.

SHould I return it?  I'm looking to mod it out and only use backups while keeping the originals safely tucked away (seriously).  So I would like it to read Ritek G04 dvd-r or other medium quality media.

Lemme know if you have a sec.
Thanks
G

I just returned my XBOX that was a Thomson for a Samsung. It's worth it.

jbleon

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2004, 09:09:00 PM »

I have a Philips Drive in my Xbox. Sony DRU-500a Burner. I had the original Sony dvd+rw 2.4X media that came with it it worked fine untill i wore it out. Xbox would read it fine!  Now i go out and buy media at local stores Memorex,Maxell, and Generic CompUsless all 1X dvd+rw not one worked out of 100 pcs. Meanwhile i am burning backups with no problems on Princo dvd-r 1x media!!  then i purchased a sample pack with (2)Ritek, (2)Optidisc, and (2)Princo all dvd-rw 1 x. Tried every disc, out off (6) only (1) worked i thought ok the drive is picky no prob. I will just use this one Princo dvd-rw 1x for testing before creating the final backups on my xbox. So now i got (1) good Princo 1X drv-rw media. Well finally i wore that one out. So now i have a delima i know that it will be hard to find media that is going to work! So i go online and order a 25 pack of Princo dvd-rw 1x media. When it arrived i was ready to backup so stuff. put in the first disc made a backup of something i have previosly backed up just so i knew i was working with good ISO.
Well it Failed, I was ok with that. then i tried the second disc the third the fourth, Now i AM PISSED!! none of them work.... Read some post in this forum about which drive is better which one sucks. Then i realized that i had my old xbox that i fried " Don't ask Long story" it had a Thompsons drive in it and i know they donot read cd-r's but they do read most DVD's. I pulled it out of old Xbox put it in new one. booted it up and now i can read all the backups that failed!!!!!!

Bottom Line Thompson Drive Worked when Philips Failed!!! I wish i had a samsung to test also but i don't I will try to backup to the other media besides the Princo dvd-rw 1x in the future and might post if people request....

glauber55

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2004, 08:52:00 AM »

I'm confused, I have a ver 1.0 and I have and old philips I am worried because I dont know if I will be having any problems with it reading Dvd-r, I just ordered a toshiba dvd burner with a pack of go4 ritek 1x-4x dvd-rs, please let me know if will have problems with this drive reading my media, or if you have a similar setup let me know how it been working for you.

nachonut

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2004, 07:55:00 AM »

QUOTE (glauber55 @ Apr 18 2004, 12:52 PM)
I'm confused, I have a ver 1.0 and I have and old philips I am worried because I dont know if I will be having any problems with it reading Dvd-r, I just ordered a toshiba dvd burner with a pack of go4 ritek 1x-4x dvd-rs, please let me know if will have problems with this drive reading my media, or if you have a similar setup let me know how it been working for you.

you'll be fine

booboo

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2004, 05:19:00 AM »

well i have the phillips drive, and ive found riteks are very buggy with it, the game will work for like 3 days and then it will stutter and have trouble reading giving dirty disc readings, ive switched to virbatim and TDK's and its working fine so far..
anyone with a phillips drive what DVD-Rs u guys using that work properly?  

GWT

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2004, 10:08:00 PM »

Is there any way to identify which drive you have from the serial number before you walk out of the store?

katmikaze6969

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2004, 07:29:00 PM »

I have thomson drive i was wondering what cd burning software u used and what cds or dvds u used and did u out in a UPC code

Wartorment

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »

QUOTE (xxZ0NExx @ Apr 12 2004, 05:59 AM)
I just returned my XBOX that was a Thomson for a Samsung. It's worth it.

Notice a difference in regular gaming? (Non-Modded)

ikar

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »

Which dvd drive is best for dvd+r and/or dvd-r? I currently have a phillips (and can return it). Can it read those kinds of dvds? Or does the brand matter?

verny

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »

I have a philips dvd drive in my xbox, and it reads many of my cdrw's and i have alot of cheap brands also. It also reads my dvd+r's and dvd-r's also. Some people just depends on their luck. The only thing i wish is that it could read cdr's because i have alot of local band cd's and theirs isn't the OFFICIAL cd which companies make, so theirs is the personal cd burner kind :-/ hmm yeah
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7