xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How And Why Do I Lock The Hard Drive?  (Read 571 times)

oopl

• Archived User
How And Why Do I Lock The Hard Drive?
« on: February 07, 2004, 01:40:00 AM »

Does "locking" the hard drive limit my access to it at all? Is there any reason not to leave it locked at all times?  <

Skidzapd

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »

Is there any PC tool to determine a HD unlock code. I add a original Xbox drive to a working moded Xbox it FRAGS. (seems to be Western Digital drive usually, some Seagates)  <

HomestarStunner

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 10:12:00 PM »

So is locking a HD still necessary even if I am NOT going to play xbox live?  <

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (HomestarStunner @ Feb 13 2004, 01:01 AM)
So is locking a HD still necessary even if I am NOT going to play xbox live?

No - I don't have XBL, so when I installed my 160Gb drive I did not bother to lock it.   <

P@nz3R

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 02:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (brahm2 @ Feb 14 2004, 08:40 PM)
QUOTE (HomestarStunner @ Feb 13 2004, 01:01 AM)
So is locking a HD still necessary even if I am NOT going to play xbox live?

No - I don't have XBL, so when I installed my 160Gb drive I did not bother to lock it.

but doesnt the tut say that this bios wants to unlock the HDD in the beginning and if i t doesnt work itll shut off????   how is it yours does not?.. thnx in advance.  <

bedderz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 03:18:00 PM »

i got a 160 hdd in there i havnt locked it but then again my bios hasnt been properly fixed so i can use the whole 160 gig! i cant seem to do it so maybe i gotta lock my hdd before i can update the bios to use the whole hdd?? any suggestions from anyone?

cheers
bedderz   :P  :P  :o  :huh:    :o :P  :P   <

Bizarro

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »

i just put my OEM drive back in my xbox and have my larger drive external.  the large drive and my mod chip are on a switch.

switch on:  big hard drive with mod chip on
switch off:  OEM hard drive with OEM bios

i occasionally have error screens such as "Error 21" when booting the dash in OEM mode now.  do i need to lock the OEM drive with configmagic or should this be done my some MS signed program on the fly.  or is my occasional error related to something else?

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by Bizarro: Mar 23 2004, 03:30 PM <

Haruno

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 08:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (ESAUD @ Oct 13 2003, 11:12 PM)
This entire FAQ is out of date - the latest versions of EvolutionX can lock and unlock the HDD with a simple menu command.  biggrin.gif

can you explain to me how that works? i've always wanted to know how

if i had a unlocked hard drive with a modchip running and i wanted to say put it on an exploit box, the hdd would have to be locked with the virgin box's key

if i had the virgin box load evox with the lock commands from dvd-rom
put in a hard drive with all the exploit files in there while it's still on
and i goto menu and push lock
it will lock with that xbox's unique key?
then the virgin will play off the new hdd?

Purple_83

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 04:32:00 AM »

I need some help guys!

I have had the chip containging the HD key replaced on my Xbox to fix another non functional xbox (dont ask...)

I have the key for the new chip. I am running evox on an unlocked 120gb hd, and everything still runs fine. HOWEVER, if i ever try and load the original dashboard i get the genieric error even through it worked fine beforeve replaced the dashboard files to no avail. Any ideas why this happens? If i lock my HD will this solve the problem?

Qtip2013

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 12:18:00 AM »

Yes i am about 95% sure that to get to any original xbox program you have to lock it and have a bios that boots to something other than xboxdash.xbe you must leave your orginal xbox dash named that.  I know that my xbox kept giving me error 21 when I tried to load the orginal xbox dashboard untill I locked it.

artic_hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »

well.. ive been reading this thread and it almost answers a question of mine... i have a FRAG xbox.. im going to buy a replacement motherboard and install that.. is there ANY way i can run the old harddrive without having to switch the EPROM chip? i mean.. after i have a modchip installed with the latest evox BIOS, could i take the new harddrive that comes with the motherboard out and plug my old harddrive in and have evox lock it with the new motherboards key so that i can use that harddrive when the chip is off? is that possible to do because i really dont want to solder anything

RaptorEM

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 11:20:00 PM »

I have a softmodded box that I want to swap drives with my modded box. How do I make my softmod recognize and run the drive and run evox?  

kmcdavid

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

I have a modded xbox and lately I've been getting the red flashing light and the error message.  It just did that one day.  The error code is 5 which I believe means my hdd is not locked but I've been using the box for months and this is the first time I've had this problem.  I have an executer 2.2 pro modchip.  can anyone help me?

anticloud

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2004, 01:38:00 AM »

whats the largest GB hard drive an xbox can support?  im thinking of putting a 250 GB drive in mine

sdainard

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2003, 11:24:00 PM »

is there an easier way to lock a hard drive?
Pages: [1] 2