xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Fixing A Tsop With 28-wire Mod  (Read 139 times)

lordvader129

• Archived User
Fixing A Tsop With 28-wire Mod
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(edwardar @ Aug 8 2010, 12:38 PM) View Post

2. I could randomly go through and resolder 5 joints at a time and see if it starts working.

this is probably your best bet, a lot of the joints on the xbox look pretty bad in your pic

3. I used an old multicore IDE cable, but afterwards I realised I have some thinner single-core copper wire which would be much easier to work with. I could go through and re-solder in the thinner wire.

30 gauge wire is ideal, if you have anything thinner than the IDE definitely use that instead
i swear by this stuff: http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062640

with TSOP repair it also helps to use different colors, since theres only 8 wires you need to cut to flash the TSOP doing those in a different color will help

4. I didn't use flux - I think this made it more difficult and is why it took me hours. Perhaps I should start again using flux, then I'd be able to get bigger bits of solder on the board and a better contact.

well more solder usually isnt the answer, the trick is to use less, but get it all in the right place, flux can help with that but dont go too nuts with it, too much can make things worse

again looking at your picture i would say theres a little too much solder, using a thinner wire will help with that too

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Fixing A Tsop With 28-wire Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »

I use the wire from an 80-wire IDE. It is perfect if you are on a budget.

EDIT: Also, Yes flux will help exponentially for this job. The flux from Radio Shack works wonders when used correctly. That sh!t is magical.