xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Help Trying To Flash A V1.0 With 4 Different Bios Images  (Read 93 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User

You can use x2bm to create a single 1MB BIOS from 4 separate 256k BIOSes.

Alternatively you can do it manually from the command prompt:

copy /b bios1.bin+bios2.bin+bios3.bin+bios4.bin newbios.bin

or in Linux:

cat bios1.bin bios2.bin bios3.bin bios4.bin > newbios.bin

lordvader129

• Archived User
Need Help Trying To Flash A V1.0 With 4 Different Bios Images
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »

well first thing, how do you have your switches set up?

to use 4 bios youll need 2 SPDT switches connecting a18 and a19 to 3.3v and ground (there is a diagram in my sig)

then, the easiest (and safest) way to flash is simply flash each bank individually with a 256k bios

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(ABC-King @ Jul 21 2009, 05:14 PM) View Post

i tried that and fraged my box so now i gotta find a 29 wire modchip or find a new xbox v1.0 but i still wanna kno what i did wrong

its possible the switch didnt properly isolate each back, you could try the 3 wire trick and see if that gets it going again

what bios(es) did you try flashing?

GMMan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »

Might be incompatible xcodes between each of the BIOS'. There's a page on the Xbox Linux site that talks about why you shouldn't do multibank BIOs'.

Don't flash your TSOP too many times. As with all solid state rewritable storage, the TSOP has a limit in how many times it can be reliably flashed. You have been warned.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(GMMan @ Jul 22 2009, 10:01 PM) View Post

Might be incompatible xcodes between each of the BIOS'.

this problem was solved years ago by using a SPDT switch to switch a18/a19 between ground and 3.3v (previously the method was to use a SPST to switch between ground and open)

regardless of method used to split the TSOP and bios flashed, the lowest bank should always work

and the number of writes/erases a chip can handle shouldnt be a problem either, the Hyundai/Hynix chips in 1.0s are rated to at least 100,000 cycles (i imagine other TSOP chips used have similar ratings)

GMMan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »

@lordvader129: Apparently they haven't updated the Xbox Linux wiki in some time.
@ABC-King: Flash ROM chip? Try your local electronics store (the ones that sell blank circuit boards and all sorts of components). Be sure to check compatibility with the Xbox, if you're gonna solder it in place of the TSOP. Mail order catalogs also work.